Leica X (Type 113) Photos

Feudal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Picked up my new X 113 today. Thankfully, it uses the same battery as other cameras in the X line, so I had some charged batteries to use today. I was originally not going to get the VisoFlex, but some test shots out in the sun revealed the need for it. It's an improvement over the older EVFs that required a button press to activate. Now, it's just a matter of moving your eye to the EVF. Even better, it worked with sunglasses on.

So far, I'm really enjoying the new X. Fun to shoot with a camera that doesn't weigh a ton like my SLR. Image quality is very good. Handling is good. AF is about what you would expect - faster than any previous X, but not as fast as an SLR. It works great with my Eye-fi Mobi 32GB SD card. Cool reviewing my shots in a restaurant on my iPhone.

Attaching a few images via TapaTalk uploaded to iPhone via the Eye-fi card. They look great on the phone, but not sure how they'll look on the forum.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Thanks and congrats, what color?

Please keep posting pics,

Very few pics out there!

Ron

Thanks Ron. I decided to go with the silver one. I also saw the black version in the Leica store, but thought the silver one had more personality.

• Like 2

Finally home and looking through my images on the Mac. A few random comments, and a few images. Keep in mind, I'm not a pro, though I have been shooting for a good twenty years.

• Metering seems really good. With Nikon and Canon, I almost always dial up some exposure compensation to get the desired results. With the X Type 113, the camera nailed it with little input from me. Yes!
  • Colors in the OOC JPGs are really good. Accurate. Reds and Yellows seem to be handled well. The color signature is definitely different compared to Nikon and Canon. More natural. I don't really know what constitutes that distinctive "Leica look" that people talk about, but perhaps this is it. So far, it doesn't appear that I will need to mess around with color in Photoshop.
  • I love shooting. I don't love spending hours correcting for image issues in Photoshop or Lightroom. That correction aspect isn't as much fun, though I will do it if looking for a particular effect or look. Based on what I'm seeing so far, it doesn't look like much correction work will be necessary. I used to shoot RAW, but recently, have switched back to just JPG (highest quality file). With the X Type 113, I believe I will be able to continue to shoot just JPG. Images are sharp, colors are natural, contrast is excellent. More time shooting, and less time in front of the computer - that's a win.
  • Fit and finish. This looks and feels like a premium camera! It feels good in the hand. Dials have the correct amount of resistance and provide proper feedback. The lens is balanced nicely with the body. When it comes to looks, she's a beauty. The silver contrasts wonderfully with the brown leather trim. DSLR camera have little character. The X Type 113 - she has lots of it.
  • LCD - finally, a high resolution screen!! Nice to see Leica finally catch up to competitors in this regard. However... if you're going to use this camera in the sun, the LCD can be hard to see. The Leica Visoflex may be a required purchase for some, depending on what you shoot.
  • The "Info" button can be used as a "Set" button. Yes! Yes! Yes! This bugged me on the X1 and X2, that I could not use the "Info" button on the right side to set things like EV, menu settings, etc. It may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it is. Increases the usability of the camera greatly, when compared to the previous X cameras.

I hope the X Type 113 is a success for Leica. It deserves to be. IQ is great. Colors are natural and images are sharp. It's fun to use. For me, that last point is very important. I have a Nikon semi-pro body and some lenses, which creates some great images, but it's heavy and bulky. That's not so fun, especially when out hiking/walking part of the day. Today, using just the X, I was able to enjoy everything around me, taking photos, and having fun doing it. I suspect my SLR is going to see a lot less use, with the X being the camera I grab to take with me most of the time.

Now, a few more images from today. All are JPG straight from the camera, no RAW. Resized in photoshop, and very light sharpening applied after the resize.

Edited by Feudal1
  • Like 14

One more image to share tonight. This was shot as a JPG Super Fine file, with in-camera Film Preset set to Vivid. I wasn't sure what this would do to the colors, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I like colorful images, but I'm not a fan of over-saturated color where images look less natural. Just a personal preference, and everyone is different. Thankfully, this image in Vivid mode looks great. The greens and blues are nicely saturated, but not overly done. The browns in the distant field to the right accurately reproduce what I saw. And notice the detail of the trees and buildings in the distance. I know it's hard to see in a 1024px wide image, but those details are there.

The 16mp sensor and the new f/1.7 lens seem to be a pair made for each other. This should be a good camera for landscape work, assuming you can work with the fixed 35mm equivalent focal length. With cooler weather coming soon, it will be interesting to see the colors of the leaves as they change, and how the X handles them.

• Like 3

Finally home and looking through my images on the Mac. A few random comments, and a few images. Keep in mind, I'm not a pro, though I have been shooting for a good twenty years.

• Metering seems really good. With Nikon and Canon, I almost always dial up some exposure compensation to get the desired results. With the X Type 113, the camera nailed it with little input from me. Yes!
  • Colors in the OOC JPGs are really good. Accurate. Reds and Yellows seem to be handled well. The color signature is definitely different compared to Nikon and Canon. More natural. I don't really know what constitutes that distinctive "Leica look" that people talk about, but perhaps this is it. So far, it doesn't appear that I will need to mess around with color in Photoshop.
  • I love shooting. I don't love spending hours correcting for image issues in Photoshop or Lightroom. That correction aspect isn't as much fun, though I will do it if looking for a particular effect or look. Based on what I'm seeing so far, it doesn't look like much correction work will be necessary. I used to shoot RAW, but recently, have switched back to just JPG (highest quality file). With the X Type 113, I believe I will be able to continue to shoot just JPG. Images are sharp, colors are natural, contrast is excellent. More time shooting, and less time in front of the computer - that's a win.
  • Fit and finish. This looks and feels like a premium camera! It feels good in the hand. Dials have the correct amount of resistance and provide proper feedback. The lens is balanced nicely with the body. When it comes to looks, she's a beauty. The silver contrasts wonderfully with the brown leather trim. DSLR camera have little character. The X Type 113 - she has lots of it.
  • LCD - finally, a high resolution screen!! Nice to see Leica finally catch up to competitors in this regard. However... if you're going to use this camera in the sun, the LCD can be hard to see. The Leica Visoflex may be a required purchase for some, depending on what you shoot.
  • The "Info" button can be used as a "Set" button. Yes! Yes! Yes! This bugged me on the X1 and X2, that I could not use the "Info" button on the right side to set things like EV, menu settings, etc. It may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it is. Increases the usability of the camera greatly, when compared to the previous X cameras.

I hope the X Type 113 is a success for Leica. It deserves to be. IQ is great. Colors are natural and images are sharp. It's fun to use. For me, that last point is very important. I have a Nikon semi-pro body and some lenses, which creates some great images, but it's heavy and bulky. That's not so fun, especially when out hiking/walking part of the day. Today, using just the X, I was able to enjoy everything around me, taking photos, and having fun doing it. I suspect my SLR is going to see a lot less use, with the X being the camera I grab to take with me most of the time.

Now, a few more images from today. All are JPG straight from the camera, no RAW. Resized in photoshop, and very light sharpening applied after the resize.

very nice photos. IQ, colors and sharpness absolute the best result. perfekt JPG, 100% leica like. The same result as a my XVario and D-Lux 5. I shot only JPG.

kind regards, klaus-michael

Edited by kmhb

Hi there,

very nice color in your images. I totally agree that Leica often succeeds to deliver images which do need minor if any post processing. Specially in regards to color and tone curve.

They also seem to achieve saturated colors without looking artificial, and good skin tones.

Thanks for sharing, how is the AF performance in indoor lighting?

I would say a little faster than the X1/X2/X Vario, but not quite as fast as my SLR. I don't know yet how it does in dark conditions, but indoors I haven't seen it hunt at all. I suspect, as with most cameras, that it will hunt more when pointed at a subject without much contrast. However, to this point, I'm happy with it.

I plan on shooting with her a little more today. I'll post some additional photos if I capture anything interesting.

Colours look brilliant and nice and sharp. Reminds me of the XV, very little fiddling required in PP (with RAW)

I agree about the colour. If you want to be subtle then black but if you want something that looks special the silver/brown leather is the way to go

Just a hint of color starting to show up in some of the trees now. Taken this afternoon with the X 113. I decided to show this because there is a bit of bokeh and blurring of the background. And the colors are really good.

• Like 8

Foggy dreary morning with the X Typ 113. Grabbed a couple of shots to see how the AF performed - no problems at all, as I would have expected. I'm hoping the sun will crack through a bit - that can lead to some interesting effects.

Edited by Feudal1
  • Like 2

Just one more from the fog this morning.

This image is cropped down to about 40% of its original size. There was a road in the foreground, which I wanted to get rid of. With the amount of sharpness and detail in the X Typ 113 files, I didn't lose anything in cropping it.

• Like 6

Hi.

I have used a 43 mm filter, and the lens shade from the X-Vario.

They fits perfect.

Thank you. I picked up the camera yesterday and a new filter worked. Loving this little camera so far!

• Like 2

Thank you. I picked up the camera yesterday and a new filter worked. Loving this little camera so far!

How does the pixel level quality compare to your 70D ?