Chrome Vs Black Paint

freitz

• 2 weeks later...

Answers seem to mainly come down to perceived aesthetics. Somebody mentioned durability and preferred chrome for that reason. Some prefer brassing as an indication of ageing and patina. My preference would be for a product that still manages to look mint even after thousands of exposures. Chrome then may be the best choice for durability. I still like the steel gray finish of my M9, which still shows surprisingly little wear (even though it is paint). I may be in a minority. Another consideration for lenses is weight, with chrome lenses weighing in heavier than black paint. (A few plastic components like lens hoods and caps may also make an infinitesimal difference.) I believe the chrome M 240 body is a couple of grams heavier than the black one but nobody would ever be able to tell the difference!

• Like 1

I really like the very matt finish of my black chrome M-A the best - especially with an almost complete lack of markings, much like the current black Monochrom.

In Hong Kong, the silver chrome models sell out quicker and for a slightly higher price on the market. A mint M9-P would sell for a significant premium in silver over a black one. Local tastes.

I bought the black M-P 240, for no reasons that haven't already been stated here, except perception of dimension. Black is slimming - as I try to kid myself. :D The M/-P240 is a bit of an oversized camera for an M. I think the silver finish accentuates the girth, compared to the film camera, while the black version partially hides that.

If I had an a la carte option for an M-240 / M-P 240, I would go for matt black paint, no red dot, no engraving, just "M-P" and the serial number on the hotshoe, and the shutter speed settings and rear button engravings.

Black...less bling...but I hate the stupid red dot and white M...

the white "M" can be picked out with a toothpick, takes about 5 mins.

I ws thinking of ordering a black dot, but haven't bothered yet (had the M a year in a few weeks)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 years later...

To me, many reason to get the Silver unless you wanted it to have an antique brassing antique looks.  So here are my reason for Silver.

1. Lots of color trim look better on Silver than Black (like A la carte). Black body can only goes with a few color trim.  

2. Chrome surface is much easier to polish or clean and less visible ffringer prints than black's

3. Looks good with both black or silver lens 

4. Have a little "metal" feel than black paint

But I like black too, it just limited me on playing around changes color trims