Chrome Vs Black Paint

freitz

That's longterm? I suppose it must be in the digital age. :eek:

Ok, I will rephrase it slightly.

I will keep my M till it is either no longer repairable, or so far out of date it is useless.

In 3-5 years I may look at picking up a new M model, assuming Leica continue to make digital rangefinders, and my current M will become a second/backup camera.

And for what it's worth, every 3 years work hands me a new set of Canon 1D bodies, my old Mk4 still had plenty of life in it, and my even older 1Dmk2N bodies are probably still working somewhere too (I haven't been there long enough to have been issued a 1DMk1, but I rescued a pair from the scrap heap, both still work perfectly)

I still have my first digital camera, a Canon 350D, and I still use it occassionally, I have had it for nearly 10 years

• Like 1

Silver looks pretty classic and stylish specially with brown or black leather strap. When black paint Leica starts aging and brass shows up then it looks pretty nice. I picked silver one and would go with black for the Monochrom! ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the looks of the silver M best, but chose a black one hoping it would be more discrete and look more like a P&S. The silver tends to look more like a old film camera and might attract more attention. One of (the many) reasons I bought a Leica was that it was less conspicuous than my Canon 5D MkIII.

• 3 months later...
I like the looks of the silver M best, but chose a black one hoping it would be more discrete and look more like a P&S. The silver tends to look more like a old film camera and might attract more attention. One of (the many) reasons I bought a Leica was that it was less conspicuous than my Canon 5D MkIII.

With me it was:

M6 Titan, m6 chrome traveller, m6 TTL black 0.58, MP chrome 0,72 , M8 chrome, M9 black, M9 chrome ( switched the M9 after a day) M6 TTL0,85 die Letzten chrome, MP chrome a la carte 0,85, M 240 , MP chrome 0,72.

So I think I am a chrome guy. :D I don't believe that a chrome camera sticks out more than a black one. I believe it's the way you behave as a photographer.

I raised this critically important and technically challenging question on the forum a couple of years ago. At that time, Chris Tribble posted a very helpful response, obviously based on his vast experience as a heralded Leica shooter....

he recommended black for medium lenses and chrome for long lenses.

Since I shoot wides and 50, I went with the chrome for wides. :)

I had black M8 and M9. I always used a half case (although those don't protect the top plate much) but otherwise didn't baby them. Nor did I fling them around with abandon. Neither had a scratch or brass spot on them after 3 years of use each. Neither did my MP.

I got a chrome M240 for a change up really. My second one is black. The price was right. Had they had a chrome one for the same money I would've gone for that. I just like them. They remind me of my M4's. I really believe it doesn't matter a hoot in terms of others' perception of discreet. Nobody's going to say "Hmm I wonder what that black box with a lens on it is that guy is holding up to his eye?" Anyone who hasn't lived in a cave on a deserted island all their life knows a camera when they see one whether it's black or silver or purple. However if the photographer believes a black camera is less obtrusive then his demeanor might be less apt to draw attention. Idrk.

Black and black, coz damn ;)

Excuse the crooked Bip soft release. New one on the way!

... you can't go back...

• Thanks 1

It's all so personal. For me, I love the look of the silver chrome bodies. I have both an MM and an M-P 240 in silver chrome with silver 35 and 50 lenses, I do also like the look of the black lenses on the silver bodies.

Of course, I would be perfectly happy with a different color combo. I mean, we're getting to shoot with Leicas after all! :D