Sensor Dust

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone - I'd like to inquire to see if anyone here has noticed an inordinately dirty sensor frequently on their Leica T?

I swear, every third time I pull the camera out in as many days, there is substantial dust and whatnot settled on the sensor, which causes very noticeable specks and smudges on my photos.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

First post!

But yes, I have cleaned mine a number of times in the first few months of use and it is finally getting to the stage where I'm not getting dust spots at the larger F stops.

If I was to offer an opinion it would be the dirt/dust has been there internally from manufacture and I've just about cleaned it all out now!

That aside, I do like the camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my T a week ago. Changed the zoom lens to the 23 prime just once and noticed dust on the sensor. It cleared off easily with a blower but subsequently I noticed other spots appearing even without a lens change. They too cleared off easily. I believe, as the previous poster mentioned, that this dust must have been in the camera body from manufacture and assembly and not from subsequent lens changes. It is no big deal as it is a very common problem with digital camera sensors that attract dust electrostaticly. It will be more of an issue with the T as it has no anti-alias filter and no mechanism for vibration sensor cleaning. Unfortunately there is no way to absolutely avoid the problem but the good news is that for the most part it is only noticeable at narrow apertures and against light backgrounds. Only the bigger dust particles are noticeable and these are easy to remove both physically off the sensor or in post off the image.

I'm convinced my T had dust in it from manufacture as the first images I took were pretty dirty.

I use the T-Snap and have got into a routine now of when I change the card/charge the battery and have to take the lens off, I blow out the lens and sensor area while holding the camera upside down. Many thousands of shots in how and no further problems.:)