New Summarits

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A simple statement pointing to potential translation issues would have been completely sufficient, I think. Thanks, anyway, for calling our attention to the blemishes.

Sorry for the extra sarcasm, but it is due to the very annoying fact that a misleading translation I had pointed out in another thread made it through to important press releases anyway, such as dpreview's Photokina report:

"Leica claims that the new M-P digital is 'twice as fast' as the standard M."

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At photokina yesterday, I was told the optical design is the same on the new Summarits as on the old. The mechanical design is, however, very different and it is this, I was told, which allows slightly faster lenses, nothing else. The change in look is to correspond to Leica's current design language (cf. the M240, the T etc).   The 75mm Summarit was available when I was there. The lens feels very solidly built indeed and is light. The overall size (length/width) is very similar to my 50 Summi

Leica needs marketing people who understand their customers. Apparently, they have chosen well.

If you check the history of posts, you'll notice a lot of questions about the aperture blades showing around the edge of the aperture even when set wide open.   "I can see the aperture blades even when my 35 Summicron is set to f/2, and if I turn the ring past the detent, they disappear. Do I actually have an f/1.8 lens?"...and the like.   It has been Leitz/Leica's practice - since I don't know when - to make the barrel opening and bits of glass slightly oversize, and then "tune" the opening

Posted Images

The old versions were often criticized for the mechanical construction, which can contribute to the performance also. So better mechanical precision could improve the images.

My hope is that the new version will drop the price of the old on the used market. (Obviously I'm looking to buy, not sell!)

Sorry for the extra sarcasm, but it is due to the very annoying fact that a misleading translation I had pointed out in another thread made it through to important press releases anyway, such as dpreview's Photokina report:

"Leica claims that the new M-P digital is 'twice as fast' as the standard M."

As a side remark: Leica's translations are considerably better than USA and British attempts at German marketing material. Let's not even mention translations from Japanese....

My 35 Summarit is a very nice lens that has similar characteristics to the highly rated Ver 4 Summicron.

It is very sharp in the centre wide open, and sharpens up at the edges as it's stopped down.

The images have an extremely smooth look to them at any aperture, and overall the Bokeh is nicer than the "King of Bokeh" IMHO.

Just one person's observation, YMMV.

Edited by 4X5B&W
The old versions were often criticized for the mechanical construction, which can contribute to the performance also. So better mechanical precision could improve the images.

My hope is that the new version will drop the price of the old on the used market. (Obviously I'm looking to buy, not sell!)

My 21 Summilux, 35 Summilux, 50 Summilux and 75 Summicron all had to go back to Leica for adjustment under warranty. My Summarit 35 was mechanically perfect. I though that Ken Rockwell did more unnecessary damage to the Summarit's reputation about mechanical build quality than these lenses ever deserved.

It's still unclear what the optical improvements beyond 2.5 to 2.4 really are.

This may just be more PR and marketing in an attempt to their reputation.

I think until Sean Reid or users here report on the lenses we'll just have to wait.

Edited by MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new summarits are lovely lenses IMO.

Very lightweight, and sharp!

Sunshade included in the price now, and of course 6 bit coded!

The new 70 and 90 were not available at the PK2014 to be demonstrated :-(

The lenses are not yet recognized by the M240 Firmware, so I hope that we can expect a FW update soon.

Here is a shot with the 35mm and M240

I got my used 35 at a bargain because the aperture "click" had disappeared and the front of the lens loosened. Both were caused by the rear retaining ring for the optical head coming loose. I tightened the retainer with a lens spanner and it cured both problems, and now it's my favorite 35.

I agree the mechanical construction is cost-efficient, but also simple and well done. It sounds like the retainer issue is common, but so easy to fix. They don't deserve a bad reputation, but many Leica buyers want a more traditional Leica design. I hope the new models are a success.

I'll still go for the old, for the 39 mm filters.

The new summarits are lovely lenses IMO.

Very lightweight, and sharp!

Sunshade included in the price now, and of course 6 bit coded!

Sunshade included in price but at least partly offset by the fact the new lenses are introduced with a price hike of 50 Euro. And I ask myself if the shades for the new Summarits are still metal or if this some kind of plastic material now?

Sunshade included in price but at least partly offset by the fact the new lenses are introduced with a price hike of 50 Euro. And I ask myself if the shades for the new Summarits are still metal or if this some kind of plastic material now?

[/center]

The shades are still metall. As spare part it costs 80€ .

Die Preise wurden auch etwas "angepasst":

Summarit 2,5/35 : 1600* Summarit 2.4/35 : 1800**

Summarit 2.5/50 1400* Summarit2.4/50 : 1550**

Summarit 2.5/75 1600* Summarit 2.4/75 1700**

Summarit 2.5/90 1750* Summarit 2.4/90 1900**.

* Preisliste 05.2014

** Preisliste 09.2014

The shades are still metall. As spare part it costs 80€ .

Thanks, I misread the price list (thought the difference between the silver and black parts was the hike!), so this hike is quite substantial. 150-200 Euro will buy you two of these shades ...

post scriptum:

there was also a little loss of weight ;(

Ein Gewichtsvergleich

Summarit 2.5/90    360 g           Summarit 2.4/90 346 g
Summarit 2.5/75    345g            Summarit 2.4/75 325 g 
Summarit 2.5/50    230g            Summarit 2.4/50 190 g
Summarit 2.5/35    220g            Summarit 2.4/35 197 g

it´s about 5-10% . The glass didn´t change - so my suggestion more aluminium - less brass

In my eyes the changes are marginal:

_ 2.5/2.4: nothing changed except the engravure o

_ there are little changes in the production method - they use more aluminum -

_ the filter mount is now all over the series 46mm +

_ the 90 has 10cm, the 75 30cm more MFD +

_ the "silver-colour" anodization +/-

As _my_ conclusion : with the old series you get more value for your money.

If I would buy a new Summarit these days - I would try to get the old version and save 100-200€

(Even if I would buy a Leica shade - I would save money

)

(may be not at the 75 - 30cm more MFD may be valuable the price difference)

The really bad news on the new series is that Leica changed the pouches from velours to leather.

I like these small velours pouches - you can wash it . If I visit Wetzlar again I´ll try to get some of the old pouches as spare parts.

Identical optical formula as your dearly departed Summarit. As are all the new Summarits. They squeezed a tad more light with manufacturing changes. Tighter tolerances. Always hated the font on these lenses but that 35 can't be beat for its gentler rendering and absence of focus shift. Nice companion for a Monochrome.

Might I recommend the ZM 2,8/35 for a compact 35 with a different look than the FLE?

Hi

Thought the 35 2,4 was asph or...?

PS : sorry, did now see orthers commenting the same

Regards,

Stein

Edited by Stein K S
Hmm, now I see the silver 35 with its (ugly?) lens hood I'm rather disposed to get the Zeiss 35 2.8 and save a great deal of £££. Never liked the rendering of the original 35 Summarit on the M9.

The 2.8/35 Zeiss is a very hight contrast lens.

As a side remark: Leica's translations are considerably better than USA and British attempts at German marketing material. Let's not even mention translations from Japanese....

Oh, by all means - let's: Engrish.com

Edited by Carlos Danger
post scriptum:

there was also a little loss of weight ;(

Ein Gewichtsvergleich

Summarit 2.5/90    360 g           Summarit 2.4/90 346 g
Summarit 2.5/75    345g            Summarit 2.4/75 325 g 
Summarit 2.5/50    230g            Summarit 2.4/50 190 g
Summarit 2.5/35    220g            Summarit 2.4/35 197 g

it´s about 5-10% . The glass didn´t change - so my suggestion more aluminium - less brass

In my eyes the changes are marginal:

_ 2.5/2.4: nothing changed except the engravure o

How do you know this ? (i.e. where is you source)

At photokina yesterday, I was told the optical design is the same on the new Summarits as on the old. The mechanical design is, however, very different and it is this, I was told, which allows slightly faster lenses, nothing else. The change in look is to correspond to Leica's current design language (cf. the M240, the T etc).

The 75mm Summarit was available when I was there. The lens feels very solidly built indeed and is light. The overall size (length/width) is very similar to my 50 Summilux Asph with a B+W filter attached. It is a rather small lens actually and combined with the lower weight feels very small in the hand.

I did shoot with the lens, including at minimum focusing distance. I will post back a photo or two when the film's developed. I did ask if any compromises had to be made in terms of image quality to enable the closer focusing distance but was told that that was not the case. Naturally overall image quality improves as one stops down.

When fully extended the barrel wobbles not one single bit. The overall feel of the lens is very positive - it is a sturdy construction. The black rubber feels tightly attached and though some may find it looks poor on a silver lens it offers very good grip.

The aperture ring is nice and wide and has click stops which seem to be a little firmer than what I am used to on chrome brass lenses (I have a pre-asph 50 Summilux). Still, the click stops are not as distinct as they are on black aluminium lenses. The aperture ring moves out with focus which may in practice turn out to be annoying (I don't know if this is a change from the previous version).

To the touch the silver aluminium feels a bit like the handrests on a new Macbook Pro if that means anything to anyone. It's a nice tactile feel. I was told that the silver aluminium lenses are a result of Leica now having figured out how to anodise the silver colour onto aluminium. This is a reason why they've not issued a silver-coloured Noctilux before; it would simply have been too heavy in chromed brass. Time will tell if they will henceforth use this technique for all silver-coloured lenses. That the silver 35 Summilux FLE is aluminium may suggest this.

The hood is screwfit and takes quite a few turns, though not excessively many, to attach. It can be flipped and screwed on over the lens for transport. A thread protection ring is included with the lens.

The lens cap is lined with what seems like felt and attaches firmly "over" the hood, both when deployed and when stored in the opposite direction, and so is quite a bit wider than 46mm. It seems to me the lens cap is too big to attach to the lens without the hood being attached. I don't know if another lens cap is included.

As a matter of design, and this is just my personal view, the front of the lenses (sans thread protection ring) looks uncool because of the various threads there. Also, the surrounding ring where the lens name is engraved seems to be plastic. That may be the case also with other M lenses, I don't know, but it is more visible on the Summarits. Without hood or thread protection ring the lenses have an "unfinished" appearance, as if some part is missing. Just my opinion. However, with the thread protection ring attached the lens looks very nice.

I also tried the 35mm Summarit. That is a truly tiny lens which, I think, has a very cool hood. The hood uses the same type of notch as the 35 Summilux FLE to line up the hood perfectly horizontal. The aperture ring is as wide as on the 75mm and is easy to feel because the focusing ring has a smaller diameter than the rest of the barrel. I expect it will be very easy to set aperture with the camera at eye level. The focusing tab is very similar to the one on other M lenses.

Philip

Edited by philipus