M8: flaky lettering

Colin1974

Colin, mine is the same. And my M9. My dealer said Leica would restore the lettering, at a cost (out of warranty). I deferred, not wishing to be without my M9 camera for many weeks.

Compared with earlier Leica M cameras, modern painted lettering is a much inferior possibly cheaper application. It is proving not durable. Leica should be aware.

I will be interested in the views of other members.

The black painted 'info' button lettering on my (now departed) silver M240 wore off in no time, well in a couple of months of amateur use anyway. Hardly durable.

I've seen the same on black 240s with white lettering too.

Perhaps Leica, recognising that certain owners look for a 'patina', are giving us a fast track to that effect.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any tips on what sort paint (or otherwise) I can use to tidy up any flaked lettering? I don't mind when it slightly fades, as on some lenses, as long it is still readable.

I'm happy to fix this myself, as long as I know what I'm doing. Any ideas are greatfully recieved.

Thanks, Colin.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have an M8 Black edition and I noticed that some of the white lettering on the rear buttons looked a little faded or less vivid eg Delete button, Set button.

Was annoyed as I think this is not acceptable on such a high value item and should be addressed by Leica with a super durable paint job.

Otherwise the camera is super, never had any problems. I have it for about 7 years now and though I am careful with it I do not treat it with kid gloves.

I decided to remove all the paint from all the rear buttons gently with a wooden tooth pick and a cotton swap with a tiny amount of paint remover -not allowing any even a tiny amount to get anyway near the buttons!

Now the button engravings appear silver and are perfectly visible though less vivid than white on a black background. Rubbing away the white paint has revealed a silver underside /undercoat -not sure what term to use.

I can read the notation perfectly and if you did not know that the engravings should be white -you may never comment.

No other fading or pealing has been noticed anywhere else on the camera-which has no brassing either.

My Leica lenses are essentially the ones I used to have on my M6 ie Summicron 35 and 50 plus an ancient 135 Elmarit with goggles (which works great on M8 =180mm ).

No signs of any paint fading on the lens lettering -so I think a lesser paint stock may have been used in error on the camera bodies -who knows?

I do not expect any camera to remain unblemished but key switches should be visible.

Hope this helps

Rgds