change to M8.2

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased an X-1 because I've always wanted a Leica M forever but could never bring myself to spend the money on one. After doing some research and asking a few questions on this forum I had an opportunity today to order a used M8.2 from KEH in excellent condition. I also had the opportunity to return my X-1 back to them for a full refund as it is still was within the 30 days of purchase. I jumped at the opportunity to make the upgrade.:D

Knowing that the M8.2 is a 1.3 crop sensor and looking at my budget, I decided on a 28mm Elmarit 2.8 lens in like new condition to go with it from B&H which I think will be a good starter setup. I think a 36mm FOV will work well for me although I would have preferred a tad wider ....but I can live with it as the wider lenses were much more expensive and also bigger.

I have not received anything yet but I've purchased from both vendors before and have alway been happy with their products and service so I'm pretty certain that I won't be disappointed in the condition of the products. My total expenditure for both was $3800.

Thoughts?....did I make a good decision?

I recently purchased an X-1 because I've always wanted a Leica M forever but could never bring myself to spend the money on one. After doing some research and asking a few questions on this forum I had an opportunity today to order a used M8.2 from KEH in excellent condition. I also had the opportunity to return my X-1 back to them for a full refund as it is still was within the 30 days of purchase. I jumped at the opportunity to make the upgrade.:D

Knowing that the M8.2 is a 1.3 crop sensor and looking at my budget, I decided on a 28mm Elmarit 2.8 lens in like new condition to go with it from B&H which I think will be a good starter setup. I think a 36mm FOV will work well for me although I would have preferred a tad wider ....but I can live with it as the wider lenses were much more expensive and also bigger.

I have not received anything yet but I've purchased from both vendors before and have alway been happy with their products and service so I'm pretty certain that I won't be disappointed in the condition of the products. My total expenditure for both was $3800.

Thoughts?....did I make a good decision?

You will love it compared to the X1. We have the X1 and subsequently bought two M8s, one from KEH and the second from B&H. Both are first rate sellers.

The X1 is a wonderful camera, but the M8 is the joy to use and much more engaging than the X1.

28mm is a great start for a lens.

• Like 1

I think a 36mm FOV will work well for me although I would have preferred a tad wider ....

You got it….37mm (1.33x). :)

Only you can decide if the choice was right….take lots of pics and let us know. In the meantime, read this FAQ and search the M8 forum for tons of other info.

And be sure to use a cut UV/IR filter.

Jeff

• Like 1

You got it….37mm (1.33x). :)

Only you can decide if the choice was right….take lots of pics and let us know. In the meantime, read this FAQ and search the M8 forum for tons of other info.

And be sure to use a cut UV/IR filter.

Jeff

I plan on using the M 8.2 mostly for B&W ....do I still need a filter? I read that the lack of a UV/IR filter on the Kodak sensor actually enhances the B&W effect on the M8...

I'm also very excited to be getting a rangefinder again after all these years :)

I plan on using the M 8.2 mostly for B&W ....do I still need a filter? I read that the lack of a UV/IR filter on the Kodak sensor actually enhances the B&W effect on the M8...

I preferred using the filter for b/w and color. Lots of discussion on the topic, as here. I rarely took mine off, except a few times to deal with some harsh night lights to avoid reflections.

Only way for you to know is to try it and see. But, even if you only occasionally use color, you'll often benefit from using the filter, and that means carrying it around or planning well in advance. Too much wasted effort for me, without benefit….YMMV.

Jeff

Using the filters on M8 for photography for colour and B&W is a must.

It is a well-known fact some photographers are using the Uv/IR filters on their M9 . it is due to the fact that IR filters use on M9 absorbs 5% only as they are minimised to a certain thickness.

I used my M8 camera for one year without filters. Then I had noticed the problem and bought my filters for all three lenses I used on M8. So have seen the different and I shoot mostly B&W and they are greater than M9 and any M camera. ( I am not talking about the M Monochrome) Even on any light conditions I never remove them . They are permanently on the lenses except when I use them on my M6 body. Once you buy the filters they are like another filters to use . I know lot people were complaining this was a issue that cost a lot. I have some other Camera systems for which the filters cost me fortunes.:D

Using the filters on M8 for photography for colour and B&W is a must.

It is a well-known fact some photographers are using the Uv/IR filters on their M9 . it is due to the fact that IR filters use on M9 absorbs 5% only as they are minimised to a certain thickness.

I used my M8 camera for one year without filters. Then I had noticed the problem and bought my filters for all three lenses I used on M8. So have seen the different and I shoot mostly B&W and they are greater than M9 and any M camera. ( I am not talking about the M Monochrome) Even on any light conditions I never remove them . They are permanently on the lenses except when I use them on my M6 body. Once you buy the filters they are like another filters to use . I know lot people were complaining this was a issue that cost a lot. I have some other Camera systems for which the filters cost me fortunes.:D

Thanks for the advice. Since I'm only using one lens for the M8 at present, the filter would only be a minor expense and I'd leave it on the lens all the time.

**Update on my purchase**

KEH sent the wrong item, instead of M8.2 they sent M8 which I returned back to them. Coincidently, they had an M8 listed on their Ebay Outlet site which was in undetermined condition for $450 less so I took a chance and ordered it. It arrived with less actuations (~9000 clicks) and what I would consider EX+ condition. There are just a couple of very faint marks on it that are hardly noticeable. So all worked out very well with the camera and I saved money on the purchase.:)

Now the only other issue I have is the lens. I purchased a Leica 28mm Elmarit f2.8 and while it is a great lens, I really would have preferred something maybe a stop or so faster. I still have a couple of weeks to return it if I find something faster and less expensive.

Are there any other sharp lenses in the 28mm range f2 that are LESS expensive than the Elmarit. I like the FOV on the M8 but want something a little faster and less expensive.

Now the only other issue I have is the lens. I purchased a Leica 28mm Elmarit f2.8 and while it is a great lens, I really would have preferred something maybe a stop or so faster. I still have a couple of weeks to return it if I find something faster and less expensive.

Are there any other sharp lenses in the 28mm range f2 that are LESS expensive than the Elmarit. I like the FOV on the M8 but want something a little faster and less expensive.

Enjoy the M8!

There's the voigtlander vm 28mm f2.0 ultron.

Here is a review by Ken Rockwell:

Voigtl