Firmware 1.2 available on the Leica site!

AndreasAM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just downloaded and installed the new firmware version 1.2. Went without a hitch.

There is a pdf available with all the changes listed:

NEW FEATURES:

1. Dial Lock: the soft dials can be locked and unlocked by doing a long tap gesture on the respective dial icon

2. Switch Live view Still and Video: the video recording live view can now be shown prior recording by doing a horizontal swipe over the live view display

3. Touch AF + Auslösen: im Menüpunkt Autofokus Modus ist die neue Funktion Touch AF + Auslösen implementiert. Eine einfache Berührung führt zur harfstellung und anschließender Auslösung

4. Playback in EVF: the playback mode is now also available in the EVF. It shows the still images in playback mode and also flipping through the single images is possible; zoom in as well as playback of video is not available

5. Digiscoping Scene Menu: the newly available Digiscoping adapter for the Leica T enables to use the camera for Digiscoping. In order to make it even more comfortable for our Digiscoping enthusiast we implemented a dedicated scene mode for this application

6. Auto Review: an “Off” functionality is added to the “Auto Review” function (Note: the playback time is reduced to a minimum, but cannot be completely removed)

7. Zoom Function Play back: In playback the zoom in zoom out function is simplified: a simple double tap on the image triggers a 30% zoom in, a further double tap zooms back to full screen again

8. Reset: the current Wi-Fi Settings & User Profiles can be kept even after reset

Further Improvements:

9. Wi-Fi: the re-connection time to known Wi-Fi networks has been shortened

10. Keyboard: typing handling has been improved by re-adjusting and scaling the keyboard design

11. Soft Dial indication: the indication of the adjusted soft dial is improved via new icon design

12. Exposure Compensation indication: the neutral EV0 setting is now indicated also the in the info bar

13. Flash indication: if due to short shutter speed time the flash cannot be released even though it is set to forced on the “flash not possible” icon is shown while half pressing the shutter release button for indication

14. Automatic monitor brightness: the steps within the brightness adjustment of the “Automatic Monitor brightness” have been minified, therefore the transitions are more smooth the viewer’s eye

15. Bug fixes & general performance improvements

Most important are Autoreview setting off[ (although still visible for a brief moment)

and improved speed in startup and switching between lcd screen and visoflex.

I will have a look at the other listed "improvements".

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 6

Well ..... not perfect .... but goes some way towards addressing the criticisms ......

Nice to be able to view and scroll through images on the EVF .... but you can't enlarge them.

Start up is quicker and EVF response time to eye is now just about acceptable ....

Although review still appears despite being set 'off' ..... and is shorter .... a shutter depress after if appears gets you back to live view almost instantly.

General usage seems a lot snappier ..... has made a nice camera with a few irritating niggles a good bit closer to the performance if it's competitors ..... with a great interface, super image quality and styling ......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both of the lenses were updated, autofocus seems faster in any case totally acceptable, overall really nice improvements, I'll have to go back to the store to buy back the visoflex that I returned because the slow response time, oh well, it is only a 4 hr drive one way.

The "Touch Focus" feature now triggers the shutter release. That's a nice touch too (no pun intended).

Menu and playback operation seem to be faster too. I also like the new flash warning indicator in the viewfinder.

THANK YOU LEICA FOR YOUR RESPONSIVENESS!!

Anyone see any problems with Auto White Balance with 1.2?

In my kitchen it makes everything yellow, then I wander outside and it is perfect.

Also, very early days, but it seems there are still problems for me with this firmware that have not been addressed.

These are with using M lenses, which I did not have when using T lenses.

These are when shooting with an M lens, if you push the shutter after a shot is taken, it holds the image in the viewfinder, rather than clears it away.

Next problem is with continuous mode with M lenses. If you set continuous mode and take a few shots, you do not get the viewfinder back until the whole buffer is written out to the card/memory. It is very annoying as you are blind to what is happening while this is taking place.

Contrast that to using a T lens, and when you half press the shutter, even with the buffer being full, it gets you back the EVF/Live view.

This is really great. I've only tested the updates from a surface level, but there are many improvements to things we've been asking for.

It's not perfect, but boy is it a reflection that Leica is listening.

Keep up the feedback, folks, and they'll continue to whittle away at some of the bugs/defects.

Thanks, Leica! Loving this T system!

• Like 1

Well, the lensfirmware of the 23 mm Cron was also updated when installing the new firmware, so that could be an indication.

I can't tell you at this moment for sure that AF is quicker, need to do more testing, but it seems so in bad light.

The AF is absolutely faster. Hands down. I've only tested in low light, but it's much more than adequate now. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot in the well-lit outdoors tomorrow. I'll bet it'll be very fast.

I just got home and installed the update to the camera and both lenses. Overall it is an improvement. Still not what I would call snappy, but definitely much better. Surprisingly, the AF is more improved on the zoom than on the prime. In my testing on shooting a stop watch with millisecond resolution, the times were consistently better with the zoom. Sometimes only a little better and other times a lot better. I tried spot AF and single point and spot was a little faster but not significantly. In all cases there were shots where the camera hesitated to activate the shutter taking over a second to get the shot. This was a random occurrence most noticeable when shooting the stop watch and not so noticeable when just shooting still objects. This could be caused by the rapidly changing millisecond numerals. Turning the confirmation beep on or off made no measurable difference. It also seemed the AF illumination assist light actually helped AF where before, I could not tell any difference when shooting poorly lit subjects. The changeover to the EVF is better but still a bit slow and the no review feature seems a bit kludgey. Start up is reduced by about 1/2 second, so better, but not great.

All I have tested so far. Until I can test it in a variety of shooting situations that meet my needs I won't know just how much these improvements helped. I still think the various swipes for playback should be replaced by simple play icons to be tapped, one for video and one for stills. Not being able to zoom the image in the EVF reduces the playback in the EVF value as focus check is one of the key reasons to chimp. Why the camera can't automatically switch to MF when you turn the focus ring is another puzzle and it would be nice to be able to preselect the focus assist magnification. I haven't tried the WiFi or many other potential changes so I can't comment on them. Bottom line is the camera is getting closer to what it should be and maybe the next iteration will carry it over the line. :)

• Like 2

What is the experience with the improved delay between LCD to Visoflex ?

It is now 'acceptable' ....... ie. no longer a pain in the ar*e, but could hardly be desciribed as snappy. Quick enough for me anyway....

The whole camera now functions in a very benign and sufficiently brisk manner to keep all but the most critical happy ..... most of the time...... in most situations....... probably .... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm just about to download the new firmware. Quick question (that's a bit off-topic) for those using manual focus M lens. Are you using the Visoflex or the LCD? I haven't picked up the Visoflex yet (been waiting for the firmware upgrade) and am finding manual focus with the LCD a bit difficult. Now that the firmware has arrived, is this a necessary accessory?

Regarding your question about manual focus lenses, it is much easier to achieve proper manual focus using the EVF. Jono has an excellent write-up on this topic that I found helpful.

I consider the EVF to be an essential accessory.

I am, however, now wondering if the EVF has become a bit 'noisier' in low light since the firmware update. Has anyone else noticed this? (This may be just a figment of my imagination, since I've not done any`rigorous or repeatable before/after testing here.)

Autofocus does seem to be somewhat improved - especially in low light using the auto focus illumination assist light.

Once again, John was spot-on.

Cheers

I'm just about to download the new firmware. Quick question (that's a bit off-topic) for those using manual focus M lens. Are you using the Visoflex or the LCD? I haven't picked up the Visoflex yet (been waiting for the firmware upgrade) and am finding manual focus with the LCD a bit difficult. Now that the firmware has arrived, is this a necessary accessory?

I'm zone focussing with a Zeiss 21mm Biogon at apertures between f/8-f/16. There's plenty of room for sharp focus at these settings. Using the LCD straight, I find it next to impossible to get accurate focus. I like to magnify all the way to 6x for accuracy, for slow contemplative image-making...but I prefer shooting street, and like having the lens pre-focussed.

With the T, just like the M8, when zone-focussing always take the readings for one f/stop faster. I.e., use the f/5.6 markings when the lens is shuttered-down to f/8.

I have no intention of purchasing the EVF.