New Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why no information from Leica. They should know by now:confused:

Most likely because the camera maker is not Leica but Panny. Leica doesn't nothing but change the outer shell into something sexier, add a red dot, extend the guarantee, give a free LR license and sell the repackaged toy at a higher price.

On the other hand Panny never adopted DNG format, at least not on any of the LX cameras which were the basis for the D-Luxes in their various iterations. Their RAW files have always been RWL or RW2.

Regrettably for us this policy hasn't changed now and they aren't going all of a sudden to offer a camera with the choice between two RAW formats (a feature which would be unheard of).

Therefore whether we like it or not it's RW2 and not DNG. End of the story (for now).

Cheers,

Bruno

• Like 2

Regrettably for us this policy hasn't changed now and they aren't going all of a sudden to offer a camera with the choice between two RAW formats (a feature which would be unheard of).

Cheers,

Bruno

Actually not quite unheard of. Pentax have for some years offered the option of saving raw files in either their PEF format or the more universal DNG in their K series cameras.

• Like 1

Did you have the opportunity to download a raw file from the D-Lux 109 by chance? Just curious.

Nay, all of those I downloaded and eventually edited do originate from LX 100 reviewed samples.

I couldn't manage to find any Type 109 reviews barring Sean Reid's therefore I'm not in the position to obtain any Type 109 RAW.

Cheers,

Bruno

• Like 1

It doesn't look like it will be a DNG RAW file. Here is a quote from Jono in the comment section of DP Reviews discussion of the D Lux 109: By "Jono Slack (3 weeks ago)

One thing I can say is that the RAW files are NOT DNG (but RWL files - same as the LX100)"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9078374619/leica-introduces-d-lux-24-75mm-equiv-compact-with-four-thirds-sensor

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] Leica doesn't nothing but change the outer shell into something sexier, add a red dot, extend the guarantee, give a free LR license and sell the repackaged toy at a higher price [...]

Leica and Panny bodies have always had different colour rendition due to different firmwares if memory serves. At the jpeg level i mean. Jpeg users would better wait a bit before making their choice then IMHO.

Leica and Panny bodies have always had different colour rendition due to different firmwares if memory serves.

Wonder if that's fact or repeated rumors. And since you can tweak all jpg settings manually to a great extent I wonder if you could not achieve a certain look even IF the jpg renderings were different.

Been there in 2002 when out of camera jpegs from Digilux 1 (right) and Lumix LC5 (left) were different. I have no experience with later PanaLeica bodies though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1