New Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well the only software I have that works is RawTherapee. Interestingly it does not do any software lens correction so you can see some impressive barrel distortion at the wide end. Presumably Lightroom will be updated to accept the raw files and the distortions will not be apparent.

RawTherapee doesn't work on my laptop unfortunately (MacBook air, OS 10.9.5) and distortion looks terrible through Picasa. Only way to allow the small design of the lens i presume but the spectacle is not encouraging...

Does anyone know if one or both versions of the camera are without an AA filter?

No idea but the jpegs i've seen need more sharpening than from digital Ms obviously. Now the price is not the same and my sans-AA filter Fuji X-E2 needs more sharpening as well. The latter is free from moiré though.

• Like 1

Here is an interesting comparison between the LX100 and the D Lux Typ 109. It is an incomplete comparison and I'm not sure where this site gets their information, but they are claiming that the LX 100 has an AA filter and the D Lux does not. It would be a surprise to me if the cameras were different re: AA filter, but perhaps it is true. I would like to know as I would then view the extra warranty + no AA filter as justification for paying the extra for the Leica. Panasonic LX100 vs Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)

• Like 2

Here is an interesting comparison between the LX100 and the D Lux Typ 109. It is an incomplete comparison and I'm not sure where this site gets their information, but they are claiming that the LX 100 has an AA filter and the D Lux does not. It would be a surprise to me if the cameras were different re: AA filter, but perhaps it is true. I would like to know as I would then view the extra warranty + no AA filter as justification for paying the extra for the Leica. Panasonic LX100 vs Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)

comparison imaging resource ???

LX 100 120 sec / D-Lux 60 sec - there is a mistake.

LX 100 and D-Lux = mechanic shutter 60 sec and electronic shutter 120 sec.

LX 100 AA filter yes // D-Lux AA filter no ???

maybe imaging resource have this information from sean reid's review?

There are indeed pictures on the Sean Reid's paysite but they cannot be downloaded and they are too small to check resolution. I'm not a subscriber myself but i've read an excerpt of his review according to which « Leica tells me that the Typ 109 uses no AA filter. [...] That said, the camera's output is still not a match for what I see from the best APS-C (or larger) sensor cameras without AA filters ».

Not sure what he said ;) but he wrote that the D-Lux has no AA filter.

I re-read the review and you are correct, that is what he wrote. He is probably the most reliable source for this information that I have seen since I haven't seen it published in any specs or marketing literature.

I will be interested to know if Panasonic included the AA filter. For me that would be a meaningful difference between the two cameras. At first thought it doesn't seem likely that they would produce 2 different hardware versions, but they could simply install a different set of sensors and firmware in each production run, so it may not be that different in production.

I don't recall having seen different hardwares since the siblings Digilux 1 and Panasonic LC5 twelve years ago. Sean was among us on the Leica Forum then together with Andy Barton and his LC5, yours truly with his D1 and other historical heroes :D.

[...] Where can I find a sample rw2 file?

Couple of raw files from the LX100 here.

Easy conversion with Rawker for Mac.

Colours, sharpening and the (huge) distortion don't look difficult to tweak in PP but moiré tends to show that the sensor has a weak AA filter if any.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Some more RAWs here: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

I also took the liberty to download a couple of them and open with RAWTherapee. As far as color conversion is concerned it seems that the files aren't easy to metabolize. To put it mildly, colors are crappy but tweaking a bit the files gives very interesting BW. It also seems that the sensor as tiny as is can however retain lots of details.

The lens gives lots of barrel distortion towards its wider end but it's very easy to correct.

Here are the samples I downloaded and processed along with relevant 100% crops. The first one was shot at 100 ISO, the second one at 1600. See and judge for yourself.

Cheers,

Bruno

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Couple of raw files from the LX100 here.

Easy conversion with Rawker for Mac.

Colours, sharpening and the (huge) distortion don't look difficult to tweak in PP but moiré tends to show that the sensor has a weak AA filter if any.

@ ict and !Nomad64,

hallo good morning, the camera is a pre-production model !!!! comparison apple vs. pear !?!?!?

Edited by kmhb