New Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You probably noticed that new LX100 is much smaller than GH1. Even cropped 4/3 sensor is a lot of pixels on such a small camera.

Small body, fast zoom, built in EVF, manual controls for speed, aperture and exposure compensation Panasonic and Leica clone are probably best thing to come from Photokina in compact camera category.

of course i understand ...but panasonic removed this multiaspect sensor even in GH3 and GH4....and are much larger then GH1

anyway for me 12mp are too few....a cropped 4/3 sensor will be not so much bigger then 1" sony sensor...

to be truth i preffer the 20mp 1inch sony sensor...it perform well ...12mp for today standard are to few (i m used to my 24 M240 and 36mp A7r....)

I've never seen a photograph labeled : " this image is guaranteed to contain at least 16 million pixels"

If I consider the results from for instance the DMR and M8 I realise that this is mostly about marketing

• Like 6

I am very pleasantly surprised by the price of the new D-Lux compared to the LX100 in the UK.

LX100 - £799

D-Lux - £825

Can't wait to handle one.

Yes this got me as well

With the Leica design, 2 year passport and Lightroom license its a no brainier over the Panny

Also interesting clear blue water with the 113

For a tiny company Leica is sure knocking the lights out with choice ......

• Like 1

Yes this got me as well

With the Leica design, 2 year passport and Lightroom license its a no brainier over the Panny

Also interesting clear blue water with the 113

For a tiny company Leica is sure knocking the lights out with choice ......

Are you sure about the Passport & Lightroom?

I thought they only came with the M series products.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm quite interested to see how this will be priced in Australia. The original D-Lux 6 sells for $750-1000, and that facepalm of a G-Star version sells for $1400. By comparison, the Panasonic LX7 retailed for $650. If we get gouged in Australia for the Leica version, the value of the extras might not be as enticing.

of course i understand ...but panasonic removed this multiaspect sensor even in GH3 and GH4....and are much larger then GH1

The point is that using a smaller image circle allows them to make a smaller lens. A lens like the LX100 that uses the full image circle would be much bigger. Just look at the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8, which positively towers over the LX100's lens, and the 12-35 is f2.8!

Sure, they put a multi aspect ratio sensor in the GH1 and GH2, but the lenses are also larger than that of the LX100.

• Like 1

The D Lux does come with a 3 yr warranty vs the LX 100 with a 1 yr warranty. Probably not worth the full $300 difference, but certainly worth something. A question for those who were at Photokina (or others who have experience with the PanLeicas), is there a noticeable difference in build quality?

The D Lux does come with a 3 yr warranty vs the LX 100 with a 1 yr warranty. Probably not worth the full $300 difference, but certainly worth something. A question for those who were at Photokina (or others who have experience with the PanLeicas), is there a noticeable difference in build quality?

I would say yes! Tried it today, but in the moment you attach that grip it becomes even better!

I used to have an M6 but sold it and the lenses (idiotically) because (at the time) Leica insisted there was no way they could make a digital M. (Of course we all know how that story ended!) I then had a D2 and an LX3. The D2 died and my son ran off to Belgium with the LX3. So I've been 'Leica-less' for some time now.

Now I had considered getting the D-Lux 6 with a grip (which to me really made the form factor so much more useable) and (Panasonic) EVF but held off thinking that some day a compact camera with a Leica branded lens and a built-in EVF might appear.

Well two days ago I put in my pre-order at B&H in NY for the D-Lux, grip and a 43mm ND filter. And can't wait until November.

I would say yes! Tried it today, but in the moment you attach that grip it becomes even better!

I'm a little disappointed to see that the Panasonic version has a handgrip, but the Leica handgrip will cost $160, making the price difference $460 to get one with a handgrip.

(or others who have experience with the PanLeicas), is there a noticeable difference in build quality?

I've Leica D-Lux 4, 5, and 6; Panasonic LC5, LX2, and LX5 (for my son),and R8, M8, M6,and MP. I would like to make comments.

There is no noticeable build quality in-between, however, form factor difference always exist. The attachment tells the major deviations are: 1. built-in handgrip for Panny, 2. logo, and 3. right/left end taper-off at the upper edge in the front view for Panny, 4. menu, 5. maybe somewhere in the firmware, who knows?

Leica offers 3 years warranty and LR to play down the effect of price difference, while for some customers they are virtual benefit only valuable for just in case. The purchasing decision may involve the tenure in the Leica school and the emotional tie with Red Dot.

I never use handgrip for D-Lux 4,5, and 6.

I plan to acquire the type 109 if the standard JPEG color rendering is as goog as that of D-Lux 4 or at least D-Lux 6. I am not happy with that of D-Lux 6.

Best Regards,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I plan to acquire the type 109 if the standard JPEG color rendering is as goog as that of D-Lux 4 or at least D-Lux 6. I am not happy with that of D-Lux 6.

Best Regards,

Correction: it should be "....is as good as that of D-Lux 4 or at least D-Lux 5. I am not happy with that of D-Lux 6.

I'm a little disappointed to see that the Panasonic version has a handgrip, but the Leica handgrip will cost $160, making the price difference $460 to get one with a handgrip.

Sure-but the Leica grip is simply much better, in my Hand at least. And for me that Pana grip is really ugly.

Anyway-you have the choice! Go for the Pana instead if they have the better package for you :-)

• Like 1