I love my M7...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Now I am thinking to 'go back' (what do we mean BACK !?) to film,"

You're right Otto. I become allergic to images * of my M8 and M9. This is serious Doctor ?

So , I prescribed for myself a second M7 instead of M240 :D

"The feel of an M4 in my hands is unsurpassed,"

You're right too :)

"and now I don't know what to ask for Christmas....Can anybody help me?"

Yes I can help you and I suggest you : buy M-A like me :)

Regards

Henry

* allergic ? why ?

1- some images are like "synthetic images" (MM)

2- color not quite faithful to what we see

3- edges and lines "cut with a razor", not sweet or soft like in film

Nice idea! I'll have to get used to the filmtransport handle of the M3 type. With M4 and M7 handles you can play so nice, while waiting for the decisive moment.

• Like 2

Hi Otto, I would not take the M-A, but M2 ore M4 these are finest but Tank solid

mechanics, okay I dont know how an MA runs feels, but I know how my MP does,

but for Im not Leicas "Weihnachtsmann" any longer,

would keep the Money for an Flextight :D ore some good drinks.

and enjoy a refurbished old timer

Im not shure if these high end quality standards which we find in M4 M2s …

we find nowadays, seems they rest a bit on there high end heritage of brand

and tend to loose in c service and product quality.

A Black Paint M4 is heavy to top :)

• Like 2

Hi Otto, I would not take the M-A, but M2 ore M4 these are finest but Tank solid

mechanics, okay I dont know how an MA runs feels, but I know how my MP does,

but for Im not Leicas "Weihnachtsmann" any longer,

would keep the Money for an Flextight :D ore some good drinks.

and enjoy a refurbished old timer

Im not shure if these high end quality standards which we find in M4 M2s …

we find nowadays, seems they rest a bit on there high end heritage of brand

and tend to loose in c service and product quality.

A Black Paint M4 is heavy to top :)

Yes you're right , for a Flextight Becker my future acquisition with agreement of my banker if possible :D

Look at this thread , Chris has a Flextight

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/286747-i-like-film-open-thread-100.html

Best

Henry

• Like 1

I have much to thank you for Henry.

1) You started this "I like film" thread. I stopped viewing this site when it became too much effort to wade through all the digital images to see some film examples. Your thread will keep me coming back because:

2) you and your friends show very nice work in film, and are generous with replies to questions.

Hat off to your!

dave

• Like 5

After reading all the very objective and serious comments above, I'm glad I gave my M7 to a friend and settled for an a la carte MP and a Zeiss ZI, Now, I have the best of both worlds.

BTW: If you haven't had the opportunity to run a few rolls through a ZI, you'll be in for a treat if you can. The ZI and the 50 Lux ASPH are a dream pair.

• Like 1

A little walk on the quays last week with 2 rolls of Ilford HP5 and my M7.

Paris was cloudy and cold. :mad:

Shooting conditions are not ideal, but I'm surprised at the result. :)

The exposure measurement of the M7 is fabulous.

The general rendering of each photo exactly reproduces the atmosphere of this winter that begins ,

this rainy weather, the buildings, the bridges and couples in love on the quays of the Seine River.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/street-photography/355356-ballad-quays-film.html

.... and also in bad light condition : the fog at 7.00am

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/354556-fog-2-hp5.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/354353-fog-hp5-tooka.html

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Funny to see on this Forum and in this thread how Leica users make Leica's free advertising.

I am still in doubt though. I owned an M7 and my Summilux 50 asph on it was a smasher with color slides, no matter Fuji or Kodak. Now I am thinking to 'go back' (what do we mean BACK !?) to film, but am severely ambivalent about M4 or M7. I found the M7 a bit too heavy. The feel of an M4 in my hands is unsurpassed, it feels so much more sturdy than an M6, because of the topplate a.o.

I refused the M-P (240) because I find it too thick and heavy comparing with my M9 but jaapv finds that I'm nagging about 1mm and the extra weight is just the battery! Whoohoooo:(:mad: and now I don't know what to ask for Christmas....

Can anybody help me?

I feel the difference in width between the M7 and M9, and as much as I love my M9, I much prefer the feeling of the M7 in my hands. I've handled a M4-P and like its slightly lighter weight even more. If you are okay with shooting film, then maybe a M4-P in excellent condition is your Christmas present?

If you want to spend more money and have a warranty, the M-A is another possibility... :D

• Like 2

Hi Archiver, I took these numbers in the last book of Erwin Puts "Leica Chronicle" :

M4-P: dimensions = 138x77x36 mm - weight = 545 g

M7: 138x79.5x38 - 610 g

M9:141x82x43 - 565 g

MP:138x77x34 - 585 g

M-A: 138x77x38 - 574 g (LUF-Wiki)

You're right for the M7 is the heaviest and Otto is right for the M4-P which is the lightest :)

Best

Henry

• Like 3

I also preferred the feel of the M7 above the M9, which has other advantages though, like in the results with the 35 FLE or the 90 SAA for instance.

And I preferred the feel of the M4 (chrome) above the M7 because of the grip of the leather. The M7 feels warmer though. We can talk about figures and mm's but in the end it's no argument. Just like the weather: minus 10 can feel completely different from minus 10, as with plus 40, centigrade.

These are all handmade jewels also. When I bought my M7 years ago I could choose between three copies; all had quite a different sound of the shutter. The decibel can be equal, but bass or treble can differ. Happiness is a warm gun.

• Like 1

I'm really amazed that the M7 is heavier than the MP. How is this accounted for?

Pete

Presumably the additional battery plus the electromagnets that regulate the timing of the shutter curtains. The M7 is just 10grams more than the M6 TTL. Puts's 'Leica Compendium' pgs 224 - 226 refers.

• Like 2

I have much to thank you for Henry.

1) You started this "I like film" thread. I stopped viewing this site when it became too much effort to wade through all the digital images to see some film examples. Your thread will keep me coming back because:

2) you and your friends show very nice work in film, and are generous with replies to questions.

Hat off to your!

dave

Dave you are welcome :)

When searching for what is beautiful, sentimental, which has the soul, not synthetic (image), we return to the old good film :)

I confess another "vice" I have: listen to music (classical, opera,jazz) through tube amplifiers (as in the times of my grandfather), sublime voice,strings-violin cello,piano,trumpet ....

it fits you in the guts specially voice in Verdi or Puccini opera :)

Best

Henry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

High Fidelity in Image = film , Hi Fi in sound = vinyl disc ... same battle :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Presumably the additional battery plus the electromagnets that regulate the timing of the shutter curtains. The M7 is just 10grams more than the M6 TTL. Puts's 'Leica Compendium' pgs 224 - 226 refers.

It's just Keith, the difference is minimal, but that's a personal choice according to each

Leica has released the M-A without battery , this is not a bad thing, especially with all the electronics that

has M8, M9 or MM inside and all possible failures (too many circuits can cause a failure) , I understand now

why Leica has produced M-A

The M7 is primarily a camera, simple to operate, but with less electronics than M8/M9.

If one day, I have a trouble with my M7, I still have two mechanical speed that work.

Best

Henry

• Like 1

I'm really amazed that the M7 is heavier than the MP. How is this accounted for?

Pete

Hi Pete,

the difference in weight between M7 (610 g without battery) and MP (585 g without battery) comes from the larger body. The height of the M7 (and M6 TTL) is 25 mm more than the classical body dimensions of the MP and their predecessors.

Robert

• Like 1