I love my M7...

One M7 + one fabulous lens (light and sharp) MacroElmar 90 + one good film as Kodak Portra 160, we get these pictures below

Enjoy !

.... post 16,17,18 ,19 (taken last week end) : :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/345543-my-new-companion.html

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

• 1 month later...
but I'm still thinking about an M4...:rolleyes:...

After I bought my M7 in 2002, I no longer used my M6 from 1985. The M7's newer viewfinder made my pictures sharper, and the M7's ability to scan a scene and quickly determine the range of exposures between shadows and highlights solved my exposure problems as well as an incident light meter.

Your late production model will share none of my earliest production model's DX problems. If you really want to experience an M4, then just remove the batteries and use either the 1/60 or 1/125 shutter speeds. However this will not offer you the viewfinder discoloration of an aging M4. Oh well, nobody makes 100% .

• Like 3

Just bought a late production model black M7. I decided on this camera because I have no doubt it will get more use than any other film-M.

I can start loving it in a few days:)

Hi Mark,

First congratulations for your new purchase. Thank you for posting a photo of this marvel

But you can begin to love your M7 from now , not in a few days because he makes great pictures , even with eyes closed :D

You can trust , even in difficult situation because with no light like fog . Look posts 2104,2105,2106 and 2119 here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/286747-i-like-film-open-thread-106.html

Best regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

After I bought my M7 in 2002, I no longer used my M6 from 1985. The M7's newer viewfinder made my pictures sharper, and the M7's ability to scan a scene and quickly determine the range of exposures between shadows and highlights solved my exposure problems as well as an incident light meter.

Your late production model will share none of my earliest production model's DX problems. If you really want to experience an M4, then just remove the batteries and use either the 1/60 or 1/125 shutter speeds. However this will not offer you the viewfinder discoloration of an aging M4. Oh well, nobody makes 100% .

I agree, I have no DX problem with my 2 M7.

Exposure metering is accurate with this camera. Fabulous M7 really

In b&w as in color , the picture is reproduced exactly as I see :)

.... here an example in color , please look at post 2112

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/286747-i-like-film-open-thread-106.html

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Thanks Henry,

although I have this romantic notion about an older film-M such as an M4 (which I will probably also get), the addition of Auto in the M7 is not an abomination but a logical extension of the process of fast and discrete camera use. For me, the presence of this feature (and the electronically controlled shutter with intermediate speeds) to streamline the photographic process far outweighs any potential electronic reliability issues or mechanical longevity or battery death compared with an MP, etc..

The ability to use Auto to rapidly scan and understand the range of light in a scene (with the excellent centre-dominated light meter), being able to see the shutter speed change in the viewfinder (and so have an even better understanding of the full EV range of my composition), locking in the settings with half depression of the shutter release button, and then recomposing and shooting is a very fast & fluid process for me (since my old Nikon FE days). Far better than having to bring the camera down from my eye to check and adjust the shutter speed.

In other words, I don't want the light meter to make the exposure decision for me but I use Auto to speed up the process over manual adjustment the shutter speed dial and I must admit that for me the most annoying feature of self-metered Leica M cameras is the lack of shutter speed information in the viewfinder in manual mode.

This is why I chose the M7 over an M6TTL (and both of these cameras over the others because their shutter speed dial moves in a logical direction for me (and consistent with that of the digital M cameras).

Obviously I still shoot manual much of the time in more considered situations especially once exposure is decided in situations of more predictable and constant lighting.

And, I must admit that where there is no time to adjust exposure and I just need to record the image I may let Auto make the decision for me - my Leica M7 P&S :o.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Thanks Henry,

although I have this romantic notion about an older film-M such as an M4 (which I may yet get), the addition of Auto in the M7 is not an abomination but a logical extension of the process of fast and discrete camera use. For me, the presence of this feature to streamline the photographic process far outweighs any potential electronic reliability issues or mechanical longevity or battery death compared with an MP, etc..

The ability to use Auto to scan and understand the range of light in a scene (with the excellent centre-dominated light meter), being able to see the shutter speed change in the viewfinder, locking in the settings with half depression of the shutter release button, and then recomposing and shooting is a very fast & fluid process for me (since my old Nikon FE days). Far better than having to bring the camera down from my eye to check and adjust the shutter speed.

In other words, I don't want the light meter to make the exposure decision for me but I use Auto to speed up the process over manual adjustment the shutter speed dial and I must admit that for me the most annoying feature of self-metered Leica M cameras is the lack of shutter speed information in the viewfinder in manual mode.

Obviously I still shoot manual much of the time in more considered situations especially once exposure is decided in situations of more predictable and constant lighting.

And, I must admit that where there is no time to adjust exposure and I just need to record the image I may let Auto make the decision for me - my Leica M7 P&S :o.

Mark, the M7 enables work in difficult light conditions (case of fog with no sun and little light).

It also captures the "decisive moment" (as Henri Cartier Bresson said).

The M7 as M4 cameras are compact, light to take pictures without being noticed.

The advantage of M7 compared with M4 is its measurement always ready and accurate exposure.

Mark, be careful with 2 batteries. I removed them when I'm not using the camera.Always check the power

and battery status.With 2 new batteries , I have shot about twenty rolls of film and battery is still good by doing that .

Blocking the shutter button when you have not loaded the camera is fine in my opinion, no error like this :)

Best

Henry

Mark don't forget to post the picture of your new M7. Thanks

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Just bought a late production model black M7. I decided on this camera because I have no doubt it will get more use than any other film-M.

I can start loving it in a few days :)

Funny to see on this Forum and in this thread how Leica users make Leica's free advertising.

I am still in doubt though. I owned an M7 and my Summilux 50 asph on it was a smasher with color slides, no matter Fuji or Kodak. Now I am thinking to 'go back' (what do we mean BACK !?) to film, but am severely ambivalent about M4 or M7. I found the M7 a bit too heavy. The feel of an M4 in my hands is unsurpassed, it feels so much more sturdy than an M6, because of the topplate a.o.

I refused the M-P (240) because I find it too thick and heavy comparing with my M9 but jaapv finds that I'm nagging about 1mm and the extra weight is just the battery! Whoohoooo:(:mad: and now I don't know what to ask for Christmas....

Can anybody help me?

Edited by otto.f

Funny to see on this Forum and in this thread how Leica users make Leica's free advertising.

I am still in doubt though. I owned an M7 and my Summilux 50 asph on it was a smasher with color slides, no matter Fuji or Kodak. Now I am thinking to 'go back' (what do we mean BACK !?) to film, but am severely ambivalent about M4 or M7. I found the M7 a bit too heavy. The feel of an M4 in my hands is unsurpassed, it feels so much more sturdy than an M6, because of the topplate a.o.

I refused the M-P (240) because I find it too thick and heavy comparing with my M9 but jaapv finds that I'm nagging about 1mm and the extra weight is just the battery! Whoohooooand now I don't know what to ask for Christmas....

Can anybody help me?

"Now I am thinking to 'go back' (what do we mean BACK !?) to film,"

You're right Otto. I become allergic to images * of my M8 and M9. This is serious Doctor ?

Yes so,I prescribed for myself a second M7 instead of M240 :D

"The feel of an M4 in my hands is unsurpassed,"

You're right too :)

"and now I don't know what to ask for Christmas....Can anybody help me?"

Yes I can help you and I suggest you : buy M-A like me :)

Regards

Henry

* allergic ? why ?

1- some images are like "synthetic images" (MM)

2- color not quite faithful to what we see

3- edges and lines "cut with a razor", not sweet or soft like in film

About M240 , to choose between M9 (or M8) and M240 for color, I prefer the M9 for the bright color.

Erwin Puts right when he said:

M9 : bright color

M240 : neutral color

probably due to CCD sensor

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1