I love my M7...

...and both can be upgraded by Leica.

Any indication of $$ and do you find it worth the while? 

I haven't had enough time on the camera to know what trouble these differences will give me.

In an earlier post I described that I had a hard time focusing in bright light. Will the "Flare proof Viewer" solve this issue?

Thanks both

Preben

The DX used to be done for free, but I don’t know if that’s still the case. I would call Leica NJ to ask.

The viewfinder upgrade is worth it in my opinion, and unlike the first, can be done by qualified techs with the necessary parts. Price should be about 100 US, though I imagine Leica will charge more. Play with the camera and see how you get on before deciding, would be my advice.

• Like 1

I took old 2778xxx out for a roll today, mounted a 50/2.5 Summarit, no hood, and just relished the feel of a smooth, competent M.  I might enjoy my MP a tiny sliver more, but the M7 is still a wonderful camera.

Eric

• Like 1

My Leica M7 (silver) is in for servicing. I have the dusty viewfinder problem and a tapering shutter at 1/1000th causing a dip in exposure on the left side of the frame. Needless to say that no other camera I have compares, not even the M Typ 240 (since it doesn't seem to fit rolls of film!).

I'm using my Nikon FA / 50mm and my Olympus mju-ii for 35mm F2.8 at the moment.

Edited by Nick Bedford
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The DX used to be done for free, but I don’t know if that’s still the case. I would call Leica NJ to ask.

The viewfinder upgrade is worth it in my opinion, and unlike the first, can be done by qualified techs with the necessary parts. Price should be about 100 US, though I imagine Leica will charge more. Play with the camera and see how you get on before deciding, would be my advice.

Anyone have any indication of how much it would cost? I called this morning and the person on the phone insisted it isn't free anymore and said I had to send it in to get an estimate. Shipping with insurance is expensive

New M7 with one of the best lenses ever made, the Voiglander 40mm f1.2 VM ..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

New M7 with one of the best lenses ever made, the Voiglander 40mm f1.2 VM ..

Looks good.  I read elsewhere that the lens brings up the 50mm frame-lines, so presumably a little experimentation is required in judging how 'tight' to compose.

BTW, there is a excellent and comprehensive review of the lens on the Macfilos website.

• Like 1

Looks good.  I read elsewhere that the lens brings up the 50mm frame-lines, so presumably a little experimentation is required in judging how 'tight' to compose.

BTW, there is a excellent and comprehensive review of the lens on the Macfilos website.

The lens is spectacular in the sense its so light for a 1.2 (although not very light). Its also very sharp and well built and normally these things don't go together, unless you are spending big bucks on Leica

The frame lines issue is certainly something that one gets used to or not. It does bring up 50mm. Some people shave the metal to bring up 35mm but I am fine with 50mm

You get used to it but its not an exact science of course. At close range its closer to 50mm but at medium and long range is much closer to 35mm, in fact its very close to 35mm.

Its like a slightly less distorted 35mm in some ways.

It certainly should't be paired with a 35mm.

IMHO it should be paired with 28mm (or lower) and 75mm (or higher)

best rgds

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

The lens is spectacular in the sense its so light for a 1.2 (although not very light). Its also very sharp and well built and normally these things don't go together, unless you are spending big bucks on Leica

The frame lines issue is certainly something that one gets used to or not. It does bring up 50mm. Some people shave the metal to bring up 35mm but I am fine with 50mm

You get used to it but its not an exact science of course. At close range its closer to 50mm but at medium and long range is much closer to 35mm, in fact its very close to 35mm.

Its like a slightly less distorted 35mm in some ways.

It certainly should't be paired with a 35mm.

IMHO it should be paired with 28mm (or lower) and 75mm (or higher)

best rgds

CV have really got their act together across their range of M mount lenses. If the recently announced 50mm f1.2 Nokton follows the standard set by the 40mm, I will buy it.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested I am selling my Nokton classic 40mm F1.4 and lens-hood.

It was bought for use on a Minolta CLE which went to God, so the lens has been sitting unused and looking for a good home for some time:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New guy here  :)   ... think I've read all 37 pages of this forum. :D  Picked up used m7 the other day, shot a roll of Portra 400 and now we wait to see the results.  Had a slight problem with shutter sticking (but for now I'll chalk it up to user error).  Looking forward to contributing and learning as much as possible about my new friend.

• Like 7

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Portra 400 is such a beautiful film. Looking forward to seeing the results.

New guy here  :)   ... think I've read all 37 pages of this forum. :D  Picked up used m7 the other day, shot a roll of Portra 400 and now we wait to see the results.  Had a slight problem with shutter sticking (but for now I'll chalk it up to user error).  Looking forward to contributing and learning as much as possible about my new friend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All,   🙂  just to let you know that I'm back from a medical humanitarian mission and that my M7 (shared with

another camera the M-A) has worked well  !
All photos are at Portra 400 . You can see them on "Others I like film" 
I'm happy to have with me this fastest camera in the world according to Raymond Depardon  Magnum agency !

Best H

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Too busy since I came back  sorry ....  here some pictures with this fabulous camera M7

Have you noticed that M7 prices have been rising in second hand since Leica stopped production  ? 

Best  H

Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph-Kodak Portra 400 (dev home lab in Tetenal)

Scan Nikon CS5000 in Tiff 16 bits - size 120 Mo

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 4