28mm M Summicron ASPH small problem

dem331

Quick question: As I've never dealt with Leica service directly, does anyone have a recommended contact that they could send me so I could reach out to them in advance and see what can be done before I ship off my lens?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Figured I would update you guys, I finally got my estimate in the mail for my Summicron. However it was to the tune of $452! In looking through their estimate I feel like they're performing additional and potentially unnecessary services that weren't requested. I contacted the director of service to see if I could get some more info, because to me to have to pay so much seems a bit unwarranted. Plus waiting an additional 8 weeks is kind of a bummer.

Additionally, I spoke to Youxin tonight (that guy is a champion when it comes to communication) and he too felt they were doing unneeded things in comparison to what needed to really be done. For reference, my previous 28mm Elmarit developed an identical issue and he repaired it for me last year. 

If Leica can't do anything to help me out I'm going to ask them to send it back and I'll have Youxin take care of it for me.

...... I finally got my estimate in the mail for my Summicron. However it was to the tune of $452! In looking through their estimate I feel like they're performing additional and potentially unnecessary services that weren't requested...........

When I had the lose front element problem with my 28mm Summicron I specifically told Leica to sort out everything that needed doing to put it back to factory specification.

Total bill, in GBP, just about the same as your quote.

My question is why not just pay?

It will cost you to have the lens returned because of the minimum estimating fee.

You have no idea what the work you think is essential will cost because it might very well involve stripping the lens down, re-assembling it and then putting it through QA.

I have a lens with a full CLA receipt whose S/H value has been maintained.

Last time i sent a lens in to Leica (Germany) it took 3 tries and several months to get the job done properly. Never again unless the lens is under guarantee. I would ask DAG or Sherry Krauter for a quote if you live in the USA. Should cost you a fraction of this price including a good CLA if necessary.

I know what I posted sounded like a complaint, and to some extent, it is, but what I'm getting at is that I had only requested for them to replace the set screws and make sure the front assembly doesn't come loose. I didn't ask for the lens to be calibrated, or to have the focus adjusted, or to have a CLA done or anything like that (all services that are on my estimate). I didn't want the lens "adjusted" because it delivered precise focus and sharp images on my M240 and my MP. It was just becoming wobbly. 

None of my Leica equipment carries any kind of warranty as I bought it all second hand (or third hand) as I do with all of my equipment. 

I don't want to discredit the abilities of Leica's service people, but I'll be honest I haven't heard too many positive opinions about their US service facility (unlike home base). Fortunately there are very adept service folk here in the States so I have options. 

Can I suggest not using the hood at all. I've kept mine in the box. I suspect any pressure on the hood whilst it is attached to the lens (ie in the bag) and removing and returning the hood to the lens would be a possible reason why this happens

Clear nail polish over the screw heads

Stop taking the shade off.

Never mount and unmount holding the front, use rear of lens

Tobey - have you tried coating the threads as well with either loctite (blue) or nail polish?

It's not possible to change filters, threaded ND or coloured or adapter rings for a Lee kit, without doing this though.

Mine does it just a little, enough to be keeping a close eye for reviews/comparisons with the updated version. I would gladly swop to avoid the issue if the new one is still the same optically.

I use the 35 Lux hood which, as a hood, is perfect.

It's a small annoyance for a great lens. I guess once you damage the screws, it becomes a big annoyance.

I also tried a Heavystar 46mm hood but it vignettes and the way it screws onto the front of the lens feels like it would exaggerate the problem, wobbling the whole lens front around in your bag.

I didn't try nail polish, I use the 35mm Summilux hood instead of the original one, and I always unmount / mount the lens with the rear instead of the front (I do that with all lenses).

I ultimately decided to just have Leica fix it as they already have the lens in their possession, but in the future I will probably look elsewhere for repairs like this.

When I do get it back I may just forego using a hood all together and just slap a filter on there and call it a day. I expect the flare resistance is better than my old 28 Elmarit, which despite how much I enjoyed the rendering of that lens, would flare like the apocalypse if the light source approached the frame without the hood on.

• 5 months later...

5 months on and mine has now reached the 'too wobbly by half' stage again. 

I use the 35 Summilux ASPH hood as well and am always very very careful.

I do have to take the hood off and on though, to change filters. 

Very annoying problem. Too late for me now (before an upcoming holiday) to send it to Leica for the '$500 fix' (on what is now a $2000 lens.) :(

Will look at alternative options.

I might also give up on a hood and use a 46-49mm step up ring instead. I love the lens in all other regards.

I do have a mint condition giant biscuit-sized hood with cover for sale for $500 if anyone is interested, just PM!

Edited by coogee

• 1 year later...

I did end up having my (again) wobbly 28mm Summicron repaired in September (2016) by an independent repair tech.

Now, 11 months on, it's wobbly again, sigh.

I did stumble on Abram's other thread documenting his subsequent 4-5 month wait and >$400 invoice to have it Leica repaired.

(How is the 28 Cron now? Fixed and fine?)

What to do this time. Not sure I can face an entire summer without it and a big bill from Germany.