28mm M Summicron ASPH small problem

dem331

it really sounds like a design flaw, i am almost buying it, but this matter is holding me back...

Maybe a design flaw but it doesn't mean majority of these crons suffer from it. You only hear about the cases where the problem surfaced. If you like the lens overall for your purpose then just get it and enjoy it. I love mine and never had problem in three years of ownership. It is my go to lens. Since I know that this could be a potential problem, I just keep an eye on it. Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I just got my 28 Summicron and mine comes loose basically every time I use the lens. I just keep a small screwdriver handy (an eyeglass repair kit actually, perfect size) and tighten it when necessary. I had the same problem with my previous 28 Elmarit vIII. I tried Loctite and that unfortunately did not help either. I will probably have to send it to Leica eventually.

Despite that, I love the lens, it is so crisp and enjoyable to shoot with. I left the original hood in the pouch and picked up the Pre-FLE 35mm hood and that works fairly well but I agree it does slightly interfere with the aperture ring. So despite any minor grievance I sure do love the output of this lens and I am grateful to have one.

Edited by Abram

Mine is from 2007.  I have read about this but, never had the pleasure myself.  This is my most shot lens.  Probably 80% of the time on the camera.  No problems.  Go figure.

Rick

I have had mine a similar time and have never had any problem. I treat my gear with a reasonable level of care but do not go overboard. Great performer. I would not hesitate in reccomending.

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine is from 2003, so it seem sometime between 2003-2007 they figured out how to stabilize it ;). I wouldn't let it detract anyone from buying the lens, it's such a great performer and it sounds like there is a viable solution for it from Leica.

I just finished tightening mine - again[emoji30] I had thought of using some red locktite or a drop of black paint. Can those who failed with locktite come up with why it failed? What color did you use? Those who had leica repair it, does it look filled with paint? Thanks

I used blue loctite (220 I think) on mine and it didn't seem to help at all.

Abram - thanks for the reply - did you remove the screws and coat the threads? Did you clean off any lubricant first? I can't understand why blue locktite wouldn't work [emoji35]

It's a well-documented, and common design fault with the 28mm Summicron. The three miniscule screws around the front of the barrel work loose.

I had the same thing with mine - it drove me nuts having to keep tightening the screws. It was ruining my enjoyment of the lens. Ended up sending it back to Solms, and they fixed the problem. I'm not sure what they did, but the holes where the screws were appear to have been filled in with some compound. I cannot see the screw heads at all.

Best wishes,

Colin

Here's hoping that this shortcoming has been resolved in the new and improved 28 'cron ASPH that is going to land on dealer's shelves this month (February 2016).  The four screws in the hood of the plastic lens hood will be gone, as the new lens hood will be of the metal screw in design, a vast improvement in my view. 

I have this type of lens hood with my 21/3.4 ASPH and it is light years better than the plastic hood that came with my now departed 28 'cron of 2003 vintage.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after trying loctite again it wasn't holding. I've been having to tighten my lens multiple times a day and unfortunately, despite being careful and not forceful, I've now sheared off one of the heads on the bottom screw.

Now I'm really in a bind. I'm going to have to send it to Leica. I emailed their service center in NJ (I think, I used the contact info I had on hand) and I'm still awaiting a reply.

Abram - very sorry to hear your news - I was hoping the loctite would work[emoji30] I have not been using the large Leica lens hood but am using a much smaller lighter eBay version and so far my lens has only loosened a few times and was easily tightened. Please post once you hear back from Leica with their fix solution. Thanks

Yeah I thought t would work too but no luck.

I don't use the original hood, but rather the one from the 35mm Summilux ASPH. I think what I might do is reach out to my contact at the Leica Store and see if they can help me arrange a fix.

Well I'm going to send mine in and hopefully Leica will be able to sort it out. I admit it's a little discouraging to have such a finely crafted lens have such a seemingly simple oversight in its design, but if they get it fixed up for me I'll be plenty happy.

It delivers such spectacular quality otherwise!

• Like 1