Replacement rubber focus ring for Lux 80

alan.y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Lux 80 came with a slack, dried-up focus ring. After trying to fix it by trimming and gluing and boiling, etc., I ordered a replacement from Leica. While waiting for that, I came across these rubber rings marketed as for "lens protection" on the Chinese website taobao.com (I was living there last year--in China and also more or less on that website) and picked a few up for something like USD 5 delivered. To my pleasant surprise the 1cm ones fit the Lux 80 perfectly.

The official Leica replacement has come, but I actually prefer the look and feel of this one. It's softer but provides enough resistance for a firm grip. It looks a bit like the focus ring of the new Zeiss Touits.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by alanjung
  • Like 2

I'd be happy give one to you for free (really it cost essentially nothing) but all my spares are in a box somewhere in the Pacific. It's been over 6 weeks since I last heard about it and I fear for the worst. If it does make it, I'll get in touch with you.

I can't remember exactly which seller I bought mine from, but these look like them:

LEICA/徕卡胶圈 R镜头调焦环遮光罩防磨保护胶圈,迷彩炮衣-淘宝网

2 RMB, i.e. 30 cents per, even cheaper than I remember.

Unfortunately I'm not sure whether it's possible to order from abroad. The site technically supports international shipping but it's still all in Chinese.

PS I just realized I failed to explain that taobao.com is not a camera accessories vendor, but just an online platform for sellers selling all sorts of stuff (including many Leica lenses). The whole thing works very well, with a highly robust and trustworthy feedback/rating and returns processing system that's far superior to those of Ebay and Amazon.

Edited by alanjung
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Sure, Jip I'll mail one to the address on your website when I go to the post office tomorrow. :)

I've received them a while ago, but had not opened the package yet! Thanks allot!!!!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 11:49 PM, Diego Alvarado said:

My 50mm Summilux VII is also prone to this issue and I am in the market for a replacement band. Looking online, I have come up with nothing for the exception of this thread. The link above now leads nowhere. Can any of you guys help me out with any leads? 

I contacted DAG (Don Goldberg) and he had a spare replacement band for the R80, which was easy enough to slip onto the lens.  

Rob