Noctilux 0.95 focusing past infinity?

Anil Kalagatla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all:

I'm currently considering the purchase of a used Noctilux 0.95 and the seller tells me that the lens focuses slightly past the infinity position - i.e, when focusing on distant hills you can focus past that position. When doing search on this topic (on this forum and elsewhere), there does not seem to be a consensus data/opinion on this. I've even seen a comment about how this implies back focus at nearer focal lengths.

Have people had used a noctilux which had this characteristic? If so, has it affected focusing at other positions? Or is it just that the infinity stop is just incorrectly set up for this lens?

Thanks

Anil

The N 0.95 was traditionally Leica's most carefully assembled and adjusted lenses done but a select team of technicians.

Unless the lens has been badly abused it is unlikely the lens is at fault. As Wattsy says, far more likely that the users camera needs adjustment.

I would check the lens carefully on more distances with more well adjusted cameras. I once "met" a Noctilux that I could not focus properly on long distance - it later turned out that it also had a severe back-focus. Not well adjusted Noctiluxes do exist...How much does a focus-adjustment of a Noctilux cost?

/Anders

Hi all:

I'm currently considering the purchase of a used Noctilux 0.95 and the seller tells me that the lens focuses slightly past the infinity position - i.e, when focusing on distant hills you can focus past that position. When doing search on this topic (on this forum and elsewhere), there does not seem to be a consensus data/opinion on this. I've even seen a comment about how this implies back focus at nearer focal lengths.

Have people had used a noctilux which had this characteristic? If so, has it affected focusing at other positions? Or is it just that the infinity stop is just incorrectly set up for this lens?

Thanks

Anil

Have it checked at a Leica store if you both live in the same city

None of the 0.95's I shot with focused past infinity

My Noctilux f.95 has a hard stop at infinity. I have in the past had some R Leica lens designs that did focus past infinity. Personally I do not think it is usual for the Noctilux to focus past infinity unless it is not adjusted correctly. FWIW

Just following up on this. I checked with a Leica rep myself and he told me that this is not unusual for the Noctilux. Kind of strange, given what this lens is.

Thanks to all for your help. All in all, I'm still left a little uncertain though.

Anil

Balls.

For the lens to work correctly, infinity on the lens must match the infinity setting on the rangefinder mechanism ........ and the near rangefinder setting should show in focus when the rangefinder shows alignment. Only when those two factors are correct will the lens focus accurately at all distances.

The longer the focal length of the lens, the more critical this is. It is not unusual to find WIDE ANGLE lenses which focus past infinity on the M, as adjustment is just not that critical as DOF is enormous, even wide open, for distance use.

Lens travel beyond the infinity point of the rangefinder mechanism may have minimal practical consequence when focussing on infinity as DOF usually hides the error ...... and you will be hard pushed to take photos of subjects in the far distance with the Nocti wide open ...... unless at night or using a ND filter or such ....... in fact using it to adjust the rangefinder in normal daylight is usually impossible as shutter speeds are >4k wide open (and there is some focus shift anyway when used at 1m).

If the lens is a good price ...... get it ...... Leica can always adjust it (not cheap but worth it) and at least you will be confident all is 100% ok.

Edited by thighslapper