Push Banding: how to?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In very low light condition with my M9 I set ISO 640 and -3 stop Exposure compensation, in LR I overexpose, little bit of Noise Reduction (very low, I don't like plastic digital photos), some contrast and I get a good picture. With M (Type-240) I tried to do the same with ISO 800 but I'm getting ver bad banding noise in dark areas (like skies or uniform surface areas) and I can't avoid it.

Have any of you found a workaround?

Thanks, Sara

P.S. when shooting 3200 on camera I'm getting banding too.

This is a well-known issue w/the M 240 in severely underexposed shots. A related, & unique to the M 240, problem is the very visible green tint in the shadows that comes from "push" processing, but a solution is discussed in this thread (there are also some links to articles that touch on the banding issue):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-post-processing-forum/337638-correcting-green-shadows.html

In very low light condition with my M9 I set ISO 640 and -3 stop Exposure compensation, in LR I overexpose, little bit of Noise Reduction (very low, I don't like plastic digital photos), some contrast and I get a good picture. With M (Type-240) I tried to do the same with ISO 800 but I'm getting ver bad banding noise in dark areas (like skies or uniform surface areas) and I can't avoid it.

Have any of you found a workaround?

Thanks, Sara

P.S. when shooting 3200 on camera I'm getting banding too.

Banding is caused by underexposure, so given you are dialling in -3 stops exposure compensation you have a massive amount of underexposure. So you are doing your best, albeit with I suspect some reason behind it, to shoot yourself in the foot. That one camera does better under this torture could be a result of the fundamental difference in the sensor. There is no elixir, the laws of photography still apply, Lightroom is not your Saviour, light, and more of it, is.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

wind the ISO up to 6400 iso, and expose the image properly (keep the important hilights, but let ultra bright spots blow out) the noise isn't that bad.

heres an example from a job i did a while ago

#1 is the full image

#2 and #3 are 100% crops showing the noise (NR of "15" applied in LR)

this is a properly exposed image at 6400ISO illuminated only by candlelight

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Echo63

and a colour example too, this one has "19" NR applied in LR

i will export a few 6400 iso ones with No NR applied at all when i get a chance and post them up too.

i find its better to shoot a little bright (without blowing out important highlights) and then darken the image in LR or PS, lightening the image seems to introduce the banding you are seeing

Dear Echo63 I've never used 6400 ISO. I thought it was unusable. I was wrong, your shots demonstrate how deep you can go with that ISO setting.

I'll experiment it in the coming days and I'll expose blowing ultra bright spots.

Thank you very much. Now I'm going to read the thread suggested by furcafe, too.

Sara

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M240 started showing severe banding only recently. Prior to that it was very minimal. The shots are not underexposed and not pushed in LR. I'm not sure if it's the new firmware because otherwise I haven't changed a single setting in the menu.

Dear Echo63 I've never used 6400 ISO. I thought it was unusable. I was wrong, your shots demonstrate how deep you can go with that ISO setting.

I'll experiment it in the coming days and I'll expose blowing ultra bright spots.

Thank you very much. Now I'm going to read the thread suggested by furcafe, too.

Sara

Ok, heres a better example, original file is a RAW from the M240

#1 is a screen grab from PS, showing the selected area

#2 is a closer look, (100% crop) with no NR applied (turned off completely in LR, it normally applies 25 colour by default (on my copy anyway)

#3 is the settings i added

#4 is the effect of those settings on the file above (no other difference between the frames, other than NR

It looks similar to a good shot at 3200 ISO with some NR. As I said I've never used PUSH ISO because I've had bad results with other cameras and looking at your crops is a new revealing experience.

Thank you again for your detailed post.

Regards,

Sara