New Leica 18 ball and socket heads

Nick_S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the photographs released, the new Leica 18 Ball Heads look very like the Large Ball and Socket Head (14110) for the Leica Tabletop Tripod. Are they all the same diameter for mounting on the table top tripod and is there any difference in dimensions between the large 18 head and the 14110 head?

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My black ball head 18 #14109 arrived today.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find the entire head is black :)

The other upgrade/back to how it was - the lock tab is no longer plastic but is all metal :-)

Leica's own pictures show a silver chrome ball and stock

LEICA-BALL-HEAD-GROUP_teaser-480x320.png

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Seriously?? They want $285 for them!!!! :eek: Ebay is littered with excellent condition examples of all vintages of these type Leica ballheads for under $100.

One nice thing about many of the older ones is they have dual threads at both ends, so you can mount one on a 3/8"-stud tripod and/or use them with a camera that has a 3/8" thread. And some of them have a rod perpendicular to the shaft to aid in loosening it if it gets stuck or if it's cold and you're wearing gloves. I have about 20-25 of them, I collected them years ago because there are so many interesting varieties.

Seriously?? They want $285 for them!!!! :eek: Ebay is littered with excellent condition examples of all vintages of these type Leica ballheads for under $100.

Of the 332 ball heads B&H stock the new Leica heads are listed at 100 out of 332 ordered by cost ( hight to low) . The older 14110 is at # 135.

That's a steep but not unexpected market price.

I've also got the old style one you describe with well thought out features such 3/8 and1/4 changeovers at each end and the T bar.

For one I want to carry around every day on the table tripod, the new one is smaller, lighter and a better aesthetic match for my black M cameras.

Edited by FrozenInTime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of the 332 ball heads B&H stock the new Leica heads are listed at 100 out of 332 ordered by cost ( hight to low) . The older 14110 is at # 135.

That's a steep but not unexpected market price.

I've also got the old style one you describe with well thought out features such 3/8 and1/4 changeovers at each end and the T bar.

For one I want to carry around every day on the table tripod, the new one is smaller, lighter and a better aesthetic match for my black M cameras.

In my collection are several of the shorter version which are the ones I use. The only reason for the taller one was because of the film M's tripod thread at the far end of the camera, the tall head allowed it to be turned down for a vertical shot on the table tripod. There was one small one (shorter than this new one) made in black, but unlike every other Leica ballhead, that one has a smooth vs grooved ball, and does not lock down as securely. (It can be moved with some force, whereas the others are amazingly strong).

Honestly I don't get why anyone would care if the ballhead matched their camera, but a $5 can of Rustoleum would do the trick ;)

And of those more expensive ballheads at B&H I suspect most of them are signficantly heavier-duty and more elaborate than the Leica one. Probably with pan bases, drag settings, and some form of quick release mechanism.

• 1 year later...

In reviewing the specs for the new silver model, still called 14110, the weight capacity is about 7kg vs 2.5 kg for the older 14110.  Something other than the change from a plastic handle to a metal handle just have happened, or the old one was underrated.  Does anyone have ideas about why the new version carries more load?

Cheers,

Mike