Cleaning Camara Exterior

juju01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A microfibre cloth is really all you need. Use one recommended for polishing glass and make sure it is very high quality and clean. Don't be too anal about the cleanliness of your camera. A speck of dust on the outside won't affect your photos.

Dirt or dust inside the camera is another matter. The sensor is sensitive to dust. A rocket blower is a cheap and helpful tool to dislodge dust.

Despite jaapv's opinion I use a vacuum cleaner nozzle covered in muslin. The vacuum cleaner is outside of the room and only the long nozzle is in the room. It works every time I get a dust spot. Jaapv is right to point out that having the vacuum cleaner in the same room would cause dust to swirl where you don't want it.

Also, when changing lenses please make sure you keep the camera body pointing downwards.

I don't recommend spit and polish which was an old fashioned remedy.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A microfibre cloth is really all you need. Use one recommended for polishing glass and make sure it is very high quality and clean. Don't be too anal about the cleanliness of your camera. A speck of dust on the outside won't affect your photos.

Dirt or dust inside the camera is another matter. The sensor is sensitive to dust. A rocket blower is a cheap and helpful tool to dislodge dust.

Despite jaapv's opinion I use a vacuum cleaner nozzle covered in muslin. The vacuum cleaner is outside of the room and only the long nozzle is in the room. It works every time I get a dust spot. Jaapv is right to point out that having the vacuum cleaner in the same room would cause dust to swirl where you don't want it.

Also, when changing lenses please make sure you keep the camera body pointing downwards.

I don't recommend spit and polish which was an old fashioned remedy.

LOL! I know exterior dust/dirt does not affect the images; just wanted to keep it clean.

Thanks for the reply/suggestion

don't have any creative suggestions as above, but.... when I have been out in the field in dusty or wet conditions, I wet a washcloth in very hot water (ringing most of the water out) and go over the compelete camera and lens (attached; but do the UV filter also), dry with clean towel and then air dry (usually done in hotel rooms using their nice soft cotton towels!). I also rinse off tripod in hot shower, dry off, and air dry. Not worrying about aesthetics of equipment, but want to remove external grim and grit to keep things moving smoothly and to minimize internal contamination when switching lenses....

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn’t cotton extremely hard and sharp at very small scales?

Cotton is rough, whether you like it or not. Microfibre cloth is recommended by all camera and lens companies as the preferred cleaning tool. They have compared the fibres using microscopes.

That said, I would rather have cotton fibres, which decompose, ending up in the sea than plastic fibres killing off sea life.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In all seriousness. I slipped in some mud several weeks ago. Seeing this thread reminded me that I still needed to clean the mud off my M9 so I got it out and had a look at it. Apart from some which has dried into the covering and a bit under the tripod QR, the rest seems to have come off anyway. So the camera appears to be pretty much self cleaning ..... the strap is still a bit mucky but I'm sure that it will come off eventually. Generally I use kitchen or loo tissue which seems fine, but then the camera is already very uncollectible with dents and brassing. 

This way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jdlaing
  • Haha 2

On 9/17/2018 at 10:30 PM, Peter Kilmister said:

...Microfibre cloth is recommended by all camera and lens companies as the preferred cleaning tool. They have compared the fibres using microscopes.

That said, I would rather have cotton fibres, which decompose, ending up in the sea than plastic fibres killing off sea life.

I agree with you 100%, Peter, that cotton would always be my choice and that microbeads are going to become a serious issue for those left behind after my generation dies out - if not before......

One further plus-point (IMO) for using soft, washed cotton is (OK; admittedly only in part referring to the flash / hot-shoe contacts :)) reinforced by Leica's own instructions (2016) for cleaning which states (and I quote verbatim);

"...do not use an optical microfibre cloth (synthetic); use a cotton or linen cloth instead!".

Philip.

• Thanks 1