Cleaning Camara Exterior

juju01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a camera get dirty in a display case? :-)

I use q-tips to get the dust that gathers behind the top dials. Otherwise it just gets a once over who a teeshirt bottom now and again

If you use them a lot, particularly in a none too clean environment like for example a lot of India, satin chrome finishes get quite grubby from finger grease plus the dirt. I used to use IPA on a Q-tip to clean but then found the paint in the engravings was disappearing.

The late Stuart Bean of the Lewes Leica dealers told me the artists’ rubber trick, when I asked him how he cleaned chrome second hand Leicas for resale.

Wilson

Fascinating spectrum of replies here, ranging from those actually willing to make the effort to clean baby "puke" off their $7000 camera, all the way mentioning a neat trick relating to pencil erasers: Leica enthusiasts are certainly an eclectic bunch? Several weeks ago, someone posted a photo of themselves with $25,000 of cameras in a blizzard, covered with snow!

...an automobile in the snow, sure...there are many legitimate ways to enjoy these wonderful cameras, ranging from the glass case-collector crowd all the way to those who actually use them to take pictures, but there is also a "Winogrand Syndrome": unless your equipment is obviously heavily used-even abused, people at the art photo gallery may think your just another dentist with a Leica, and not the Robert Capa who you fashion yourself to be!...is dried baby puke the new sine qua non of authenticity?...

• Like 1

...an automobile in the snow, sure...there are many legitimate ways to enjoy these wonderful cameras, ranging from the glass case-collector crowd all the way to those who actually use them to take pictures, but there is also a "Winogrand Syndrome": unless your equipment is obviously heavily used-even abused, people at the art photo gallery may think your just another dentist with a Leica, and not the Robert Capa who you fashion yourself to be!...is dried baby puke the new sine qua non of authenticity?...

WHATTT!? You didnt know??! that is just SO last year!

The thread has been fun to read. Don't take it too seriously. It's just some light hearted, harmless reading . I do wipe off the camera from time to time. Does it take pictures too? I thought it was just jewelry...

Edited by drdannn
typo
  • Like 2

I used always to clean my M9 with lens cleaning tissues or (occasionally) with kitchen paper wetted in detergent solution [Ecover – should you ask :D] then squeezed out. I see now that Leica expressly warns about the first, suggesting impregnated tissues contain ingredients harmful to the body finish. Still, if baby sick works………..

Chrome gets microfiber plain, water, lens cleaner, alcohol, depending on how dirty, Turtle Wax Chrome Polish is you want. Corners can be cotton buds or lens tissue.

I suppose a sensor swab can be reused on the outside.

Widows are same as lens glass.

"Leather" gets McGuires plastic and rubber from auto supply store. Do this one a year on your birthday when you change smoke detector battery.

If you want to keep things nice, wrap them before sliding them in a bag. The friction is what wears "corners" on lenses and bodies.

Any protective coating will preserve the finish. Look to a polymer car finish like Nu Finish.

• Like 1