Cleaning Camara Exterior

juju01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So - any recommendations? :o

Pine cones, cactus parts or one of those shiny three-leaf plants (Toxicodendron radicans).

ANYTHING other than those swelling plumbing-choking tissues that smell like your high school prom date .

Oh gawd, I'm cranky again.

Edited by pico

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of sarcasm on the 240 site ;)

I do clean my M9-P every month or two. I dust off with a blower then use cotton buds with lens cleaner and an old lens cloth with the same. They do get dirty and I'm always surprised how well it looks after a good clean. I do the same with lenses every 6m or so if they need it

A 25,000$ car sure but a 125,000$ Porsche NO WAY

In the winter in the UK, I use my 4WD 997 Turbo S all the time. With Bridgestone winter tyres and the soft throttle response of a turbo, it is great in snow and ice. I end up as the family taxi, as all the other cars are front wheel drive and struggle to get out of the very steep incline from our farm drive onto the main road, especially if there is a border of snow from the snow plough.

Wilson

• Like 1

You think a 125k Porsche lacks build quality?

Sand and salt on the roads in winter does the same damage to the steel underbody of a Porsche that it does to the steel underbody of a Toyota. The difference is that the Toyota is a lot less expensive to buy, and to repair. Also, I don't want a car with heaps of torque when driving on icy roads. 4 second zero to sixty times are nice, I suppose, but not possible on a snow covered road, no matter how good your tires are.

Sand and salt on the roads in winter does the same damage to the steel underbody of a Porsche that it does to the steel underbody of a Toyota. The difference is that the Toyota is a lot less expensive to buy, and to repair. Also, I don't want a car with heaps of torque when driving on icy roads. 4 second zero to sixty times are nice, I suppose, but not possible on a snow covered road, no matter how good your tires are.

Really?

• Like 6

The point is that like an M240, a car is a tool and the good ones can be used in all sorts of circumstances, even ridiculous ones like a ski slope. Of course I can’t exercise the 3 seconds 0 - 100 kph that my 560 hp 911 Turbo is capable of 99.9% of the time but the fact that it still behaves beautifully in snow, rain, ice, etc, is evidence of first class engineering like most of the M240 also demonstrates.

Wilson

• Like 3

I have no problem driving a 200+ bhp / 510 kg Caterham in winter. Snow doesn't stop me. If they throw salt or sand on the roads, that doesn't stop me. It's a car and it's meant to be used.

If that little aluminum sardine can on wheels survives that, a Porsche will certainly survive the same 'abuse'.

Just drive that thing through the carwash once in a while, something my Caterham wouldn't survive?

On the presumption that this is a serious question(?)...folks with opto-mechanical instruments of high quality may benefit from a visit to "micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/anatomy/cleaning" wherein is described tricks for maintaining hi grade microscopes. Obviously a camera will have different use than a research grade microscope, but much of the information will be applicable? For the fellow who is using his camera on the cattle range, a "condom" like device as used on a Zeiss OP-MI (both to protect to instrument and keep a sterile surgical field) might be considered, and I'd hope that nobody will take their Leitz-Wild stereoscope out on the ski trip!

• 4 years later...