Cleaning Camara Exterior

juju01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do you clean or maintain the exterior of your camera? Just a quick wipe with a regular terry cloth or is it much more involved than that? I have seen a guide which involves lots of different tools - ear buds, soft hand towels, cleaning liquids, blowers et.c ( we are not talking about sensor cleaning here).

So how are you guys doing it?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wipe the RF windows with a microfiber cloth when they are greasy/dirty (i havent learnt to keep my fingers off them yet)

I also wipe rain/moisture drops off the camera before it goes back in the bag

Other than that, my M doesnt get any special treatment - my 1DX gets mud and dust wiped off with a damp cloth - but i do use it in situations i wouldnt take the M (muddy car rallies, heavy rain etc

My camera is the silver M240, so it shows dark smudges on the silver. At first it concerned me, but after a quick wipe with a micro fiber cloth or a soft t-shirt, the problem is solved. My display still has the plastic cover, so I just wipe it with a micro fiber cloth to clean it.

Greg

I wipe the RF windows with a microfiber cloth when they are greasy/dirty (i havent learnt to keep my fingers off them yet)

I also wipe rain/moisture drops off the camera before it goes back in the bag

Other than that, my M doesnt get any special treatment - my 1DX gets mud and dust wiped off with a damp cloth - but i do use it in situations i wouldnt take the M (muddy car rallies, heavy rain etc

Umm.. The M is weatherproofed as well....

Just leave it as it is, then when you want to sell it panic.

I mean, if I have a big smear over the LCD or viewfinder window a lens cleaning cloth sorts it out, other than that cleaning products aren't need unless you have a big accident.

Steve

Guest Nick932

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well they are going to release an adapter for one of these scopes and supposedly you would be able to take images up to 5m under water. So putting it in the diswasher would be safe...:D

At least is over the water....:p

I usually put it in the dishwasher.

My camera was very dirty so I followed your advice Jaap. I made sure I removed the battery and laid it carefully on the top shelf of the dishwasher. Because of all the dirt on it I set the washer to high temperature and aggressive wash. I left the front of the camera open so it would get a good internal clean. i like to do the job properly.

I don't understand why my camera doesn't work any more. Should I have left the battery connected during the washing cycle do you think?

Please advise.

Greetings from your greatest fan,

BTW do you have public liability insurance?

Edited by rafikiphoto
  • Like 2

I try to not get my M240 dirty to begin with seems like a good idea to me, at least.

I have yet to need to do any cleaning, other than wiping fingerprints off the RF window or off the display screen on the back. I will use a microfiber cloth for this with a spritz of photographic lens cleaning solution if there is a particularly oily or messy smudge. Beyond that, my cleaning consists of just using a lens brush or blower to get dust off of it and wiping rain drops off it with a microfiber cloth.

Umm.. The M is weatherproofed as well....

I know, but the lenses aren't

I am happy to use my M in light rain though, when it gets heavy enough to head undercover, then it gets wiped off and i get out of the rain (normally i go and find a coffee or beer)

my use of the 1DX sometimes borders on abuse, shooting "weather pics" for the paper, standing out in heavy rain, shooting football in heavy downpours, dust at colour runs etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You need to order Leica Elkmar elk leather cleaning cloth,

No! The only acceptable medium is pure white Unicorn hide!

Seriously, for pictures to be put on da 'bay, I use the lint-free micro- fiber cloth then a clean nylon bristle detail brush that picks up all those little nasty dusty bits.

What you do is shuffle across your unicorn hide carpet in unicorn slippers with brush in hand then brush away the dusty bits on your camera.

OR get a life. I haven't decided yet.

I find that a Gutta Percha artists eraser (the translucent pale brown type) is excellent for cleaning the chrome surfaces of cameras. These are now becoming very difficult to find, as they have been replaced by a white synthetic material. This may be fine for rubbing pencil off paper but is no good for cameras, as it leaves smears on the chrome.

Wilson

• Like 1