Posting multiple images in threads

spylaw4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have noticed that a number of posters seem not to post multiple photos with plenty of space, or text/titles between them. Maybe that's ok for them but I found it an annoying feature of the new forum.

So with thanks to jmr who let me in on "the secret" here's a brief tutorial!

I'll put a reference to this thread in each section of the Photo forum so as to get it more widely known and maybe one of the Moderators could consider placing the technique in the FAQ section?

1. Make sure your Message Editor Interface (under Edit Options in Control Panel) is set to Enhanced Interface.

2. Always use the paperclip icon to pull up the Manage Attachments Pop-up. Select your file and upload. Wait until it is uploaded. Close the window.

3. Repeat as often as needed using the paperclip. You should see a list of your files gradually building up on the drop down box that appears.

4. At the bottom of the list there should now be a selectable field saying "Insert All" - click on that and.... Bingo!

5. You will see in your message text some text saying [ATTACH] xxxxxx{/ATTACH] as appropriate for the number of photos you are uploading. You can now split the photos up spacing and adding text in between to your heart's content.

6. You can review the reuslts in Preview posting, and amend if needed.

7. Good Luck!

Cheers!

• Like 4

Excellent tip, Brian (and JMR) - thanks!

(I hope that you don't mind that I moved it into the Customer forum, from the Digital, since this applies equally to those of us who use film and not digital. I have tried to set up a new FAQ, but even with a Moderator's super-powers, that task is beyond me :) It will have to wait until Andreas gets back)

I had always used the button below the text input field, not the paperclip icon. (I rarely post more than one image, but this is very useful to know)

Chives (not Dill ;) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Amarylis

Snowdon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Brian!

Thank you for sharing the information with everyone.

I've posted your thread as an announcement at the top of the Photo Forum and its sub-Forums of the International User Forum.

Beautiful images, BTW, Andy. Thanks for sharing them, too!

Allan

Please - is there any way to for viewers to switch off embedded images?

Sometimes I want to quickly scan a thread to see if there's anything interesing - not have multiple images foist onto me.

This will become a serious issue when web/digital newbies start uploading (or linking to) uncompressed 500kb snaps. It's also a problem for dial-up users, or those paying per KB of traffic :?/

Hi Andrew!

The default vBulletin setting is for thumbnails, for the reasons you've stated.

As far as I know, the setting is not switchable by individual users.

If and when Andreas decides to save money and bandwidth by going away from the full-size images which have been the tradition on the Forum your wish will come true.

Perhaps a PM to Andreas would get a more authoritative answer than I can give. He is the grand wizard of the electrons around here.

:)

Thanks.

Allan

Please - is there any way to for viewers to switch off embedded images?

Sometimes I want to quickly scan a thread to see if there's anything interesing - not have multiple images foist onto me.

This will become a serious issue when web/digital newbies start uploading (or linking to) uncompressed 500kb snaps. It's also a problem for dial-up users, or those paying per KB of traffic :?/

Andrew, you could always try logging out! No pictures are shown unless you are logged in!

Martin

Can this helpfull info be printed out.I know that when I need it I'll never find it again.

Rob

Hi Robin

I have just highlighted the text in this thread, right click and "copy", open "Word" ( guess some other word processor would also work) and then right click again and select "paste". You can then either print it or file it for a quick reminder! I also thought these notes of Brian's are excellent. Thank you Brian.

Robin, us 'Ampshire lads must stick together!

Cheers, Dave

You could always try logging out! No pictures are shown unless you are logged in!

True. But if you want to post then you have to log in again, which will then reload the page with... unwanted images :?/

Oh well, looks like I'm the only one who can see a problem here. Just wait 'til trolls (or newbs) realise they can post 2 (or 10) MB photos and... "Whoops, forgot to resize that 8MP image, sorry. Here's the image again. Damn. Okay, let's try that again... Didn't work. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?..."

Cassandra has spoken :?)

Andrew,

My vBulletin resources tell me they know of no way for a user to change the Admin settings native to the Forum to suit local personal preferences or mobile requirements.

I can also tell you that Andreas initially was keen to limit the image posting to pop-up thumbnails when we began test-driving the software several months ago, again, for the reasons you've mentioned.

Were he to reset to the default thumbnails and pop-ups, however, there would still be no guarantee the files coming in to you are small. The test-users experimented quite a bit with hosting images on outside servers during the trials, where the user determines the file size completely independently of the Forum. In one case Andy had a big panorama file around 2MB we all shared.

Thanks.

Allan

• 3 months later...

Hi Brian , I'm a member and trying to post with attachments, using your tutorial. It's all good except until after upload sequence. I'm using the paper clip. I don't seem to progess after upload. The files appear to upload. I don't see a selectable field with insert all. I go to preview posting and only see the text. I don't no where I am going wrong. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Guest lykoudos

Hello Andy,

Impressing view in the heights and depths that variety and beauty in the small one and large one on our planet earth.

Kind regards

Wolfgang (MP grey hammertone (2,8/28; 1,4/50; 2/90)

Geoff,

if I might be permitted to try to help...

Once you've clicked the "upload" button for each of the pictures you want to show, you should see them named in a list under "current attachments". You now need to close the window you're using to do the uploading. You'll then be back at your new post or new reply, as appropriate. If you now once again click the paperclip you should see a drop-down box with the name of each uploaded file and an "insert all" option. Selecting as required will result in the text [ATTACH]NNNNN[/ATTACH] appearing in your post. Hitting the "preview post" button will show you what you've set up. Hitting "submit" will make your post visible to all.

Good luck.