Knob or Lever Rewind ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 minutes ago, david strachan said:

"Knob or lever rewind" is when moving film back into cassette when finished film? 

Am confused as most are asking about moving film to new frame, by knob or lever.

Please explain. 🙃

The proper phrase would have been post or crank rewind. The M2 and M3 carried over the post stye rewinds from the earlier cameras. It's slower to rewind the film back into the cassette but as fewer parts and is less likely to fail or the user to break. With the introduction of the M4, the film rewind became the angled crank. Faster to rewind the film into the cassette but more parts and the increased chance of breakage. After years of the crank on the M4 series, M6 and M7 the post was brought back for the MP and MA. hope this clarifies things.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I also would not like to get a car with rigid axles.

A perfect analogy between the delicate rewind crank and the tougher rewind knob is a car with rigid axles

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The crank is definitely easier to use and much faster. But I find Leica's slanted one ugly as hell. The knob is much more beautiful and elegant. It looks like it belongs there, rather than having been added as an afterthought. I'd take the knob any time, because I care more about beauty than about speed and practicality. OK, it takes a minute to rewind the film instead of ten seconds. So what? I don't care.
If I wanted convenience and speed, I'd shoot digital.

Edited by Vlad Soare
  • Like 1