Knob or Lever Rewind ?

• 2 weeks later...

What I like about the knob rewind's construction is that, when the knob is not extended, turning it(s outer ring) won't affect film tightness. That said, I have never had film-slacking problems due to my M4's rewind touching the strap. Still, the knob rewind feels great. When rewinding, it gives a solid, confident impression and one can really feel that it grips the film spool. It feels quite different from the rewind lever, I find. And when unextended, the knob rewind's surrounding ring has a very pleasant resistance that further supports the impression that the whole construction is built to last.

Nevertheless, either construction works well and I wouldn't base my decision on whether to use my M4 or my M6TTL on how the rewind is designed.

Philip

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lever every time. I have both.

Have you 'knobby' guys ever worked under pressure with a film Leica and tried to change say 13 rolls of film, in a space of say 1.5 hrs, in the dark, while the action in front of you continued whether you are ready or not? That used to be my regular gig for years, shooting two M6's. Lever is much faster where time is critical.

Another aspect, IMO, is that it is easier to maintain constant pressure on the film during rewind with the lever. I always worry that slippage when winding with the knob can induce friction/scratching between the film layers because it is a stop-start technique.

• Like 5

Lever every time. I have both.

Have you 'knobby' guys ever worked under pressure with a film Leica and tried to change say 13 rolls of film, in a space of say 1.5 hrs, in the dark, while the action in front of you continued whether you are ready or not? That used to be my regular gig for years, shooting two M6's. Lever is much faster where time is critical.

Another aspect, IMO, is that it is easier to maintain constant pressure on the film during rewind with the lever. I always worry that slippage when winding with the knob can induce friction/scratching between the film layers because it is a stop-start technique.

I'm with you 100%. A knob might be nostalgic and cool, but if you're working quickly and using lots of film, it's absolutely no fun. I guess it's why they came out with those aftermarket levers to attach to your knob :)

• Like 3

Having returned to M's after some years I chose an MP and I must admit the idea of the knob was the one thing that put me off a bit as all my previous M's had a lever.

I now have an MP and find it great although I have added one of the aftermarket cranks.

I guess the lever is ultimately faster but I don't need that speed in all honesty, I understand that the knob is more reliable which suits me as I want the MP for life,

regards to all, Rob

• Like 1