First Time Leica Buyer

kiddo1955

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been doing research on purchasing my first digital Leica Camera and one lens. Any help would be beneficial from other members. I am looking at either the M8 or the M8.2, leaning towards the M8.2. Also, I am thinking either a Leica M 35 Summicron or the Leica M 50 Summicron. Mainly I am taking photos of scenery, a lot of car shows and one or two weddings. At this point I just can't see spending the extra $$$$ on an M9. Suggestions, input. I don't want to get in over my head as a first time Leica buyer, but have waited a long time to make this move and figured I would start out with basics and go from there. I learned years ago in the old film days about apertures, shutter speeds, focusing, etc. so I'm not a novice.

Welcome to the forum, Kiddo!

Your ideas are sound. Either lens would be a good match to an M8/8.2. Although the 35mm is widely regarded, I think you should think about a second lens even if not in your budget right now. For example, 35 + 70 (or 90) would make a good two lens kit. My choice would be a 50 Summicron or modern Summarit; then add a 28 and 90 in due time. That three lens kit served me for several decades with my M3. Be prepared for a range of differing advice from members.

The M8 or M8.2 is a good starting point to get into the digital side of Leica M photography. If you decide to spring for an M9 or M240 down the road, the lenses that fit the M8 will fit either of these full frame cameras. Same for any of the bayonet mount film M cameras. Backward (and forward) camera/lens compatibility is one of the strengths of the Leica M family of cameras.

Since both cameras have a 1.33 crop factor, you might think about a 28mm lens as your wide angle. With the crop factor, a 28mm equals a 37mm field of view in the full size 35mm format, be it film or digital. The 50mm equals a 66mm field of view on the M8/8.2; this is something that you need to keep in mind when selecting your lenses.

Thanks for the info. At this point I just don't want to get "burned" - a month ago I found, what I felt was a fabulous deal on Ebay and after investigating I found that EBAY had removed the ad; it was almost unbelievable; a beautiful M9 for $2,000.00; so, right now I'm planning a trip to Tamarkin in a few weeks to get some sort of idea what I'm investing in. For years I was a race photographer and used Canon and Nikon; later switched to Pentax and then gave it all up, so Leica is something I've wanted for a long time and just want to get it right the first time. I do appreciate the input on this and thanks for the welcome. I think I'd really like to buy either from Tamarkin or Ken Hansen, but I use Ebay and other listings for my research. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why gamble on Ebay when, for possibly a little more, you will get a good product plus service which is important when you are starting out with Leica ownership.

One other point, do read the FAQ section which is a mine of useful information for all skill levels.

Welcome to the forum.

Been shooting on Canon for a while but mainly I am a videographer and only recently started getting into photography!

After a loads of good advice here I bought my M8 and I am completely happy with it. There isnt a day I dont go out and snap some pictures. I didnt had much budget for a lens so I bought a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 which is a really good value for the price (paid 300£!).

Although from my own experience I would not reccomend to buy from eBay (and I am a really eBay addicted!) it may save you some bucks but most probably you will not have any warranty with the camera...

[...] I think I'd really like to buy either from Tamarkin or Ken Hansen, but I use Ebay and other listings for my research. :)

You should check out KEH.com as well. I've bought some used gear there (including my M8), and can't recommend them enough.

Also consider Dale Photo in Florida, or PopFlash in CA, both reputable Leica dealers that handle lots of used gear. I recommend buying only from a good dealer with a warranty.

As others mentioned, consider the crop factor and future purchases (camera and lens). I have an M8.2 and an M240 (no crop). On the former I frequently used a 28mm lens (Summicron ASPH), as it equated to a 37mm field of view. On the M, that lens doesn't get much use, now using a 35mm (Summicron ASPH) instead. My 50mm lens (Summilux ASPH) gets used on both cameras, as a traditional 50 FOV and as a cropped 67 FOV. Really depends on your style and preferences.

No matter what you buy, despite the dealer warranty, consider getting personal insurance to cover accidental damage or loss not covered by the warranty. Policies vary greatly by company and location; I have a rider to my home policy (in the US).

Good luck…and welcome.

Jeff

Thanks, I only use Ebay as reference and a place to do my homework; I'm planning to probably buy from Tamarkin in Chicago since I live near the area or I was wondering about Roberts Camera in Indianapolis; I've purchased from them before. It's tempting to buy from Ebay, but I just need a reputable dealer and I was also told that should I buy an M8 or M8.2 and any repairs needed are not done in the U.S. so I should step up to an M9, but to start with I just feel the M8.2 is really the camera for me.

…. and I was also told that should I buy an M8 or M8.2 and any repairs needed are not done in the U.S. so I should step up to an M9, but to start with I just feel the M8.2 is really the camera for me.

I've owned two M8.2s, without problem. But if you do have an issue, repairs can be done at either Leica NJ or DAG (Don Goldberg) in Wisconsin.

Jeff

• Like 1

I had my first and only leica (m8) 2 years ago.

My 2 cents:

Either lens is good, but I would (and did) get the 35mm focal length first.

On m8 it is a 47mm eq, and when (if) you decide to go full frame it is still a very useful 35mm.

On the other hand, getting a 50mm now means it is a 66mm eq, which is a bit odd and long.

A few things to keep in mind when moving from other systems:

the closest leica lenses can focus is 0.7 mm for range finder coupling

framing is not very accurate. m8 frame line is for 0.7m, m8.2 is for 2m, and m9 is for 1m

You never know what may go wrong. Definitely try before you buy. Warranty is recommended.

Check rangefinder alignment, shutter.

It is OLD (2006). Aftermarket replacement battery fairly cheap and decent.

ISO sucks.

metering MUST BE SPOT ON - no recovery for blown highlights or under exposed above ISO640. Metering is spot only, mostly accurate, tend to help preserve highlights by under exposing. You learn more by manual everything

m8 has no replacement screen (coffee stain), but may entitle you to upgrade for a discount.

m8 also have 3 potential upgrades - shutter, screen, and frame line. All 3 upgrades = m8.2

Lens - you get what you paid for. The pricer it gets (and the newer it is), the better the lens 99% of the time. fast lens (f1.4 or above) fairly difficult to use.

Grip or thumbs up or thumbie will help you hold the camera. Leica are compact but fairly heavy.

Go bling it if it is your thing. It is your camera after all.

Quite difficult to use with glasses, try dipolar adjustments.

Preserve.