The little white house that was all alone

flyalf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another house I met the other day. They all tell different stories, although there are similarities: All houses in this region (north of Norway) was burned by retreating German forces during the second world war. A lot of samm houses was built when the people returned.

Edit; M + 35 Lux ASPH FLE fully open.

14685349005_85d2cf0452_b.jpgHouse_Laksefjorden_V2 by fotoalf, on Flickr

Edited by flyalf
added info
  • Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another house I met the other day. They all tell different stories, although there are similarities: All houses in this region (north of Norway) was burned by retreating German forces during the second world war. A lot of samm houses was built when the people returned.

Edit; M + 35 Lux ASPH FLE fully open.

14685349005_85d2cf0452_b.jpgHouse_Laksefjorden_V2 by fotoalf, on Flickr

It's truly remarkable when one comprehends the scope of Nazi evil in WWII. From burning down all the wooden homes and churches of the racially inferior Saami in Finnmark, to rounding up Jews in Greece, and butchering Ukrainian peasants. It will take a thousand years for the stain of Nazi evil to be washed away -- and rightly so.

It's truly remarkable when one comprehends the scope of Nazi evil in WWII. From burning down all the wooden homes and churches of the racially inferior Saami in Finnmark, to rounding up Jews in Greece, and butchering Ukrainian peasants. It will take a thousand years for the stain of Nazi evil to be washed away -- and rightly so.

Thanks,

It was wartime. But my purpose was not to highlight on the war and what happened then, but rather a small part of the not-so-distant North Norwegian history. After the war there was a regional politic, and people invested in new homes in these rural areas. As the economics improved so did the national greed. Now the resources in the North are mostly owned by people apart of the region, and the region is just used as a resource pool and waist dumping area for short term profit. The houses that once was built and inhabited are now left alone. So these photos are a sad reminder for myself.

I try to not focus to much on the past, but cannot help having these reminders to if possible make corrections for the future.

Sorry if I have brought up controversial topics, or has offended anyone. It was not my intention, although a little sting of sadness might be appropriate :mad:.

Thanks,

It was wartime. But my purpose was not to highlight on the war and what happened then, but rather a small part of the not-so-distant North Norwegian history. After the war there was a regional politic, and people invested in new homes in these rural areas. As the economics improved so did the national greed. Now the resources in the North are mostly owned by people apart of the region, and the region is just used as a resource pool and waist dumping area for short term profit. The houses that once was built and inhabited are now left alone. So these photos are a sad reminder for myself.

I try to not focus to much on the past, but cannot help having these reminders to if possible make corrections for the future.

Sorry if I have brought up controversial topics, or has offended anyone. It was not my intention, although a little sting of sadness might be appropriate :mad:.

An appreciation of history lies in the details, which you have brought to our attention with your photo and the story of the abandoned house. Who would have known the story behind such a house, and its connection with interlopers, and a changing regional dynamic driven by outside money? So my thanks to you, Alf, for adding interesting context to your photo. My reaction to the photo and story came from the three times I visited Finnmark, and learned of what had happened there during the war. Of course, it wasn't just "war," but an attempt by the Nazis to eradicate the Saami (or as people used to say, the Lapplanders) at the end of the world, some 3,000 miles away from Germany, in a place that has absolutely no connection with them or their culture. More bombs per square kilometer were dropped on Kautokeino than any other city in the world during WWII. I found the story of what the Nazis did in the back of beyond, way up in Finnmark, simply unbelievable, but sadly consistent with and illustrative of what they did everywhere else they went. You live in a beautiful place, Alf.

• Like 1

An appreciation of history lies in the details, which you have brought to our attention with your photo and the story of the abandoned house. Who would have known the story behind such a house, and its connection with interlopers, and a changing regional dynamic driven by outside money? So my thanks to you, Alf, for adding interesting context to your photo. My reaction to the photo and story came from the three times I visited Finnmark, and learned of what had happened there during the war. Of course, it wasn't just "war," but an attempt by the Nazis to eradicate the Saami (or as people used to say, the Lapplanders) at the end of the world, some 3,000 miles away from Germany, in a place that has absolutely no connection with them or their culture. More bombs per square kilometer were dropped on Kautokeino than any other city in the world during WWII. I found the story of what the Nazis did in the back of beyond, way up in Finnmark, simply unbelievable, but sadly consistent with and illustrative of what they did everywhere else they went. You live in a beautiful place, Alf.

Thank you for your kind words,

Yes, I am a Sapmi myself, and I'm quite aware of my history. The area was for a long time not part of any country, but was "taxed" by Norway, Russia, Finnland and Sweden :eek:. During 1700s it became a part of Norway / Denmark. During 1900 Norway enforced hard Norwegian-enforcement both in term of taking the land as well as cultural. The Sapmi children was removed from their parents into schools, and was not allowed to talk their language, people was not allowed their native religion, etc...What we see now is the final? part of this process where the native population are loosing their right to resources. Sad but true.

Again, sorry if I offend anyone with my personal view on history ;)

A little history won't hurt anyone, Alf. Where you live is, in my opinion, really much more like the New World because of its big distances, sweeping vistas, and low population. What a great place to live, and to be from. I very much envy you your hunting and fishing opportunities. Maybe some day I will get a chance to go back to the far north of Norway. I really like the photos you post, Alf. They are usually magnificent. All the best, Tom

• Like 1

I love this photograph. It's classically simple composition and sense of place are very satisfying which is enhanced by the history. Reminiscent of the work of Walker Evans (high praise)

But shouldn't the title be "The Little Cyan House That Was All Alone" ;)

• Like 2