M240 Settings Resetting to default by themselfs

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They should be defaulted to a new User Profile that for the sake of clarity should no longer be called 'Default'.

If the user's favourite settings aren't saved as a Profile and regularly reapplied, such as checked when the camera is switched on, or going from tripod settings back to appropriate hand held settings, there are any number of occasions where local changes are forgotten about when first picking up the camera.

With the M240 the Default settings are the new Snapshot Mode from the M9, they can't be altered, written over, or customised in any way. So the only safe way to keep your preferred settings is to save them as a User Profile. What I haven't heard yet from the OP is if the settings defaulted to Default (yes we are all doing it now) when he had his own User Profile set, or if indeed he has been using a User Profile to ensure he doesn't get returned to Default.

It was often difficult for M9 users to stop being in Snapshot mode until they set a User Profile. So as a totally wild guess perhaps the M240 has a simple countdown to reset itself to Default Profile if no other Profiles are present or settings have been changed for a period of time? Other than 'finger trouble', such as thinking the Default Profile can be altered, or accidentally choosing it, which the OP says can't be the case, it is probably something simple.

Steve

Hi Steve, yes I had a User Profile set (and I have a copy on Dropbox so if I am away I can download a copy to re-apply to the camera). In other words the camera lost my user profile setting and reset to default.

...The camera resetting itself does not bother me, its the face that it defaults to Jpeg only and not Raw or Raw and Jpeg. I am no programer but I am guessing that it is one line of code that needs to be changed. That is the maddening part, it should be an easy fix.

I would not call it a fix but a new feature that all jpeg users would not like very much i suspect. Not only a matter of soccer moms but some serious photogs don't like shooting raw at all. Now i've got the same experience as yours with a Fuji camera yesterday so i do share your disappointment.

I also have found my M240 has dropped all by itself into JPEG. Now as I virtually never use JPEG on the M240, I am fairly sure it is not finger trouble. I have not checked whether it had fully dropped into snapshot mode but just set back to Profile 1 somewhat irritated. I now check regularly by pressing the Info button that I am in DNGc. I am also doing this now to check if GPS has picked up, especially since the ridiculous alteration in the latest FW to auto deletion of the camera’s GPS position after five minutes of poor or nil reception (I have sent a formal protest on this to Leica).

Wilson

You may have reset the camera inadvertently or forgotten to press the set button after choosing your last settings perhaps.

Anyway, it is advised to save your profiles on your cards if you didn't do it already and to save them again after card formatting for sake of precaution.

Could you expand on this thought saving your profiles to your cards. Thanks. Does this have anything to do with camera renumbering files after installing the latest FW upgrade. Never had that happen before.

Could you expand on this thought saving your profiles to your cards. Thanks. Does this have anything to do with camera renumbering files after installing the latest FW upgrade. Never had that happen before.

Hi Lou, i just referred to the Export Profiles option of the SET menu:

SET menu / User Profile / Manage Profiles / Export Profiles to Card / Yes

See an excerpt from the instructions booklet (page 203) below.

This has nothing to do with file renumbering issues AFAIC. The latters did occur on empty cards after the last FW update but not on partially full ones, in my experience at least.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So could the beta testers who seem to have Leica's ear please, please, ask Leica to change the default settings to be RAW and not JPEG only.

PLEASE....

Questions

Had you just reformatted the card?

Did the formatting work?

Do you have a Leica X or T?

(and yes, I agree about the crazy defaults, especially jpg only).

all the best

I am no programer but I am guessing that it is one line of code that needs to be changed. That is the maddening part, it should be an easy fix.

I once wrote a line of code, about sixty characters long; it seemed to work. By the time it was ready for release I had fixed seven bugs in it. Computers are not like people.

Whatever. The point is that it is very annoying that it is possibly to revert to an undesired factory-defined user setting inadvertently.

If that has to be regarded as a factory default it should be a separate action called Set factory default, best with a query - reset? Which the user has to confirm.

I seem to recall seeing a menu item called "Reset". What does that do if not the above?

I have never set a "User Profile" in any camera. I merely change whatever settings I want to whatever I want them to be. So let me get this cleaer, is it all settings reverting to factory default, or is it only a set User Profile that is forgetting itself?

Irrelevant. Default should be user-configurable so geeks can have their day as well as Soccer Moms.

If the software can't be relied upon to maintain settings, then I don't think it can be relied upon to reset to user defined defaults. Accordingly, I think that finding and correcting whatever glitch is causing the M240 to reset itself to defaults is more relevant than adding a feature with the hope that its reliability will be greater than the reliability of the defective software that its supposed to mitigate... Just saying...

• Like 1

I once wrote a line of code, about sixty characters long; it seemed to work. By the time it was ready for release I had fixed seven bugs in it. Computers are not like people.

Computers are not like people, but it is people who write buggy code, not computers ;)

• Like 2

I would not call it a fix but a new feature that all jpeg users would not like very much i suspect. Not only a matter of soccer moms but some serious photogs don't like shooting raw at all. Now i've got the same experience as yours with a Fuji camera yesterday so i do share your disappointment.

If the camera were to default to Jpeg and Raw we would all be happy. For the soccer mom/dad they have to put up with a card filling faster. However with card sizes getting larger and cheaper it might not be an issue. For pro's been able to colour correct an image might be the difference between a happy client and a law suit.

Well i am a raw shooter as well but doing legal photography myself i can tell you that post processing is perfectly possible on tif files saved from original jpegs. We used to call this "poor man's raw" in the past and i still adjust WB and contrast on tif files personnally.

Well i am a raw shooter as well but doing legal photography myself i can tell you that post processing is perfectly possible on tif files saved from original jpegs. We used to call this "poor man's raw" in the past and i still adjust WB and contrast on tif files personnally.

I am not convinced about that. That is like trying to get a quart out of a pint pot. JPEG is a lossy compression format and once the data has gone, it cannot be truly recreated. There are various routines which interpolate and smooth but it is still guesswork. It is like when you take a very small pixel photo and use the various tools in PS to resize (Bicubic Smoother, Bilinear etc). The end result is still nothing like as good as if you had the desired number of pixels to begin with.

A couple of years ago, I was asked to photograph an 1950’s costume event dressed up as a period press photographer and using old fashioned looking press cameras. Therefore, I used my Rolleiflex 3.5E and Graflex with a 6 x 7 Singer back on it, both with bulb flashes. I took the six rolls of colour negative 120 film to a so called professional processor in Brighton to process and “hi-res” scan. The scans came back as 1.2MB JPEG’s. They tried to bluff me that they would expand to 70MB TIFF’s. A very brisk discussion ensued, which eventually resulted in my being refunded. Unfortunately they had also processed the film so badly, that the decent scans that a friend did for me on his Hasselblad/Imacon scanner, were barely acceptable to the client and I felt I had to offer 50% back on my fee. By the time I had paid my friend for his time on the Hasselblad scanner, I did not make any money at all.

Wilson

Questions

Did the formatting work?

all the best

Well - nobody answered my questions.

However - this happened to me twice - I assumed it was the camera (and perhaps it is for you), however, I have a muscle memory for reformatting the card:

Menu

press up arrow twice

Press set

confirm

Job done

On the X cameras (and the T) it's just the same except you press up 3 times . . . . . .

So - what happens on the M if you press up 3 times instead of twice

you reset the camera to factory options - That's what I was doing, and it's easily done without really looking at the screen at all.

• Like 1

Hi Wilson, raw shooter i am but devil's advocate i like playing as well.

Here are two files. One 95 MB tif (http://tllg.net/kH5A) and one 10 MB jpeg (http://tllg.net/68Oy).

If your connection is fast enough, please feel free to download them and tell me what obvious difference you see.

If you generated the TIFF from the JPEG I would not expect to see any difference. If you generated the TIFF from a DNG then I might expect to see some difference but very much dependant on the resolving power of the lens used. I have to confess I can see little difference blowing a crop up to 10X and looking at the veins on the petals. At 10MB, there would not be a whole lot of compression taking place anyway on the JPEG. The example I quoted of a 70MB TIFF being compressed to a 1.2MB JPEG was very visible, with lots of softness and JPEG artefacts.

Wilson

Tif from dng and jpeg from tif with no tweak at all. Negligible difference in my book so my reason to prefer raw is not there. It's just that i prefer when raw conversion is made by c1 but most of my PP is done on tif files out of c1 anyway.

• Like 1

Questions

Did the formatting work?

all the best

Sorry Jono, only just saw your post.

Card was reformatted the day before and checked before shoot, but I did not hit any other button in error when reformatted.

Card was reformatted just fine.

No Leica X of T, only an M.

• Like 1

Tif from dng and jpeg from tif with no tweak at all. Negligible difference in my book so my reason to prefer raw is not there.

The main difference between a raw file and a slightly compressed JPG is that the raw contains linear data and a much higher dynamic range which is a huge advantage for postprocessing, especially when pushing/pulling the image.

Comparing images after postprocessing does not make much sense, as your monitor is rendering 8 bits per channel, gamma encoded values, therefore losing any extra detail that may be present in the TIF file (it is important to note that a TIF file is a generic container and does not necessarily contain raw data).

A classical sRGB JPG will also restrict the color gamut, and many nuances will be gone forever (users with normal sRGB monitors won't notice this loss, as these monitors cannot visualize the extended color gamut of the raw file).

Future displays will render a much higher dynamic range and wider color gamut, and only those who kept the raw files will be able to re-discover their photos in a new light.

• Like 1