M8 half case, vs. Luigi case, M8 grip

pklein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is different from the previous M8 soft surface? How is it?

I like the new vulcanite skin of the M8.2 better that that of the old M8.

Hola Rubén,

¿Te has decidido finalmente a enviar la tuya a Solms? :cool: (Cool Raúl... perdón Rubén, pero no rima)

The new vulcanite is VERY similar to the original one, it just feels different like if it was a different material (actually, it is) but looks pretty much the same (tal vez un poquito más rugoso)

When I was in Madrid before "Reyes", I had lunch with another member of this forum and I could compare both types of vinyl together (in case I was wrong and it was just an impression) and they do feel slightly different. In fact, Leica told me over the phone it was a new material (I prefer the new one). After this meeting, the other member has also sent his camera to Solms for this problem with the leather half case and other (sensor) glitches.

Un abrazo,

ArtZ

Hello everyone o/

As a note - I recently got the Leica half-case from Red Dot Cameras for my M8. It appears to be the old one and I've noticed after only two weeks of usage some slight wear marks where others have noted the vulcanite deteriorating. I'm fairly certain that after prolonged usage that it would wear the vulcanite right down (my camera is somewhat abused in day-to-day use, especially with the recent snow in the UK).

I've just sent an email to Luigi for one of his cases with the tripod adaptor and a cutout for the Thumbs-Up device (which I'm also hoping he stocks).

As a note, on Leica's website it still shows the "old" half-case with the buttons on the front as opposed to the newer one with the buttons on the back. I'm tempted to try to get a refund from Red Dot but I'm sure they sold me the case in good faith as this updated one isn't very publicised.

Hello everyone o/

As a note - I recently got the Leica half-case from Red Dot Cameras for my M8. It appears to be the old one and I've noticed after only two weeks of usage some slight wear marks where others have noted the vulcanite deteriorating. I'm fairly certain that after prolonged usage that it would wear the vulcanite right down (my camera is somewhat abused in day-to-day use, especially with the recent snow in the UK)...........................................

That's exactly what happened with my early Leica half case. It wore the camera covering right through to the metal where the back of the fastening studs pressed against the camera body. In addition the studs marked the black chrome. The problem was aggravated by the additional pressure where you held the camera. At the time Leica said they were unaware of a problem. I purchased a new covering from Camera Leather and bought a Mr. Zhou half case from eBay. Almost one and a half years later - no problems.

Bob.

• 4 weeks later...

I was discussing the half-case inflicted damage this morning at my dealer & he was going to enquire with the importer (Transcontinenta for NL).

Does anyone have new insight on what "the Leica policy" is concerning replacacement of the half-case and damaged vulcanite? Has anyone in NL already dealt with this?

• 11 months later...

After looking at all the 1/2 case options, I bought the Mr. Zhou leather 1/2 case from his Bay store.

It is even better designed and constructed than the one i saw posted here in mid 2008.

I am sure the very soft inside and the snug but not too tight fits will not do the camera body skin ny harm at all.

I decided to try the Zhou 1/2 case because of its form etc and it seemed most like my lovely Leica 1/2 case on my M7.

It is EXCELLENT!

Zhou is a DELIGHT to deal with and was never bothered by constant questions from me. He promised top grade calf leather and delivered. It's beautifully soft (but strong) calf that is like Nappa.

Excellent fit - nice and snug with no movement but not too hard to remove when I need to get to the base plate. The hand stitching is masterful.

The design of the back cut out area is about 95% accurate but does not cause any problem with using the buttons, screen, wheel etc..

It does prevent the fitting of a ThumbsUp (like some Luigi cases do). BUT, for me this case makes a ThumbsUp totally unnecessarily. The "bump" at the front is perfectly located adding ideal purchase as on the Leica M7 case.

It uses the usual stud clasp for the sides around the strap connections. The right side/back clasp has a bouble clasp, which allows my right thumb to grip the case perfectly.

For US$68.00 it is a no brainer IMHO. Shipping cost of $18 to Melbourne down under is so reasonable. China post is amazingly efficient They got it from Shenzhen to Melbourne in 2 days!! It arrived 2 days after I paid!

It should not be considered "the best of a mediocre lot". It really is an excellent quality product made with precision at very reasonable price.

Having spent lot of time in The Poeple's Republic of China over the past 15 years or so, I never feared a cheepie - if you ask for quality they deliver it very well at a low cost; if you ask for "cheap and cheerful", they will make it for next to nothing!.

Zhou offers a great alternative - and no, I have no relationship with him, except that now I am a happy customer.

It should not be considered "the best of a mediocre lot". It really is an excellent quality product made with precision at very reasonable price.

I agree completely Simon. I have two of the Zhou cases and they're both of excellent quality. My only regret is that they are only available in black. I'd sure like to have one in a neutral color for my chrome body.

Later,

Johnny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm debating the purchase of an Artisan&Artist half case for the M8. Does anyone have one? Can anyone tell me how they compare with Luigi's half cases? The dealer I spoke to (in Classic Camera, London) told me that the A&A cases are of a superior quality to Luigi's - but then he would say that. They did look and feel very good though.

I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks and was thinking I might try and pick up an A&A half case while I'm there. Would be good to hear people's experiences with them beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

Luigi makes great cases, really beautiful ones, and the leather feels great, but that's it... Great to look at and admire the quality... I have read enough negative reader response to be glad I never bought one. I almost bought one last year for my M8, but after emailing back and forth, and me asking too many questions, he got a bit frustrated. So, although they are beautiful cases, the prices are still 25-30% too much. So, I decided to buy a used M8 hand grip, which I picked up on eBay for $125.00 and couldn't be happier. I think I was lucky, his arrogance saved me over $500.00. Thanks Luigi!

Luigi makes great cases, really beautiful ones, and the leather feels great, but that's it... I have read enough negative reader response to be glad I never bought one.

If you have never bought one how do you know the leather feels great?

I have bought several cases and straps from Luigi and have always found him a pleasure to deal with. We tend to get the responses we deserve in my experience.

• Like 1

Mr. Zhou leather 1/2 case from his Bay store [...] It is EXCELLENT

Probably yes, but so far - they are not a competition unfortunately worth considering, unless someone wants a basic version... Than - why not.

I wish Zhou would have version with grip (not small bulge) or accepting Leica grip, Thumbs Up compatible, bottom part allowing bottom plate with opening doors (one from Luigi) and tripod screw...