M8 half case, vs. Luigi case, M8 grip

pklein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M8 users: Have any of you tried either the Leica or the Luigi half cases for the M8? I'm curious how well the little angled grips on these cases work, compared to the Leica grip. I have big hands, but I don't really like the Leica grip on my M6, so I only use it with my 90 Summicron, or in marginal available light situations. I tend to prefer small grips like the R-D1's little protrusion.

I'm asuming the Leica half case has a grip protrusion--it appears to on the picture.

It strikes me that a half case would give a better gripping surface, and maybe help keep accidental finger pokes away from the LCD and buttons.

Also, does anyone know what the status of Tom A's M8 grip is?

--Peter

I have a Luigi half case with built-in grip. You can order it without the grip as well. I like the grip, but I have small hands. The case is very well made and worth the money (if anything can be). From what I know, it's much better made than the Leica half case.

Guest sirvine

I have the Luigi half case with the normal (smaller) grip. It's much easier to handle the M8 with it. The cutout in back is a little misaligned due to the proximity of the top of the LCD and the viewfinder, and it's a bit of a nag pulling it in and out to change cards. But it's getting sweeter and sweeter as it breaks in, which is one of the nice things about Luigi's cases--the leather is very good.

There has been a previous thread about this. Anyway, I like Leica's protector and for those who want to place ther thumb behind a film winder, Leica's protector is protruding a bit at that place (contradictory to Luigi's case), so it does give you thumb some additional support. Don't know how it will behave when the leather softens in time.

Harald

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the Leica half case. It has protrusions for gripping and I like it quite well. I have big hands and while I miss the rewind lever, I miss it less and less. The half case certainly helps. It is mind over matter over time where your brain forgets about that old pesky rewind lever. At least I have and the Leica half case helps. It does not have any flap covering the preview screen which I would never use in the first place.

I echo all of the above posts. Luigi's case is very comfortable and well made. I even like the attached flat for the LCD.....won't get lost. And, it gets better with use. Did I mention it was also handsome? Beautiful brown croco as Luigi says. :D

Jim

I have the Leica protector case, here are my pros and cons:

PRO:

Well made, quality leather (maybe not to Luigi's quality, I don't know)

The protrusions help with holding the camera

Appears to wear well and provides some protection to the camera

Helps reduce (dampen) shutter sound (a little)

Pretty easy to put on and take off

Reasonably attractive

CON:

A pain to have to take off every time you need to remove base plate or use tri-pod

Adds bulk and weight to camera making a slightly fat camera fatter and heavier

Doesn't really add much protection to LCD

Really hard to put on if you use LeicaGoodies Sling which offers the benefits of a grip without the bulk and weight

After switching to Leicagoodies Sling and their Hook and Strap I find I don't use it as these make the camera easier to use and offset soem fo the need for protection when using the traditional strap over the shoulder. YMMV but a strong screen protector and the above products provide both optimal form and function at minimum cost and weight.

Luigi Crescenzi, he has a very nice website were you can find (and buy) the Leica M8 and other cases:

Nuova pagina 4

It's a matter of personal taste and the same as with other luxury goods, you like it or you don’t. The case doesn't really add much protection

to the camera but you get a better hold even with the standard case, which has a small bump at the front.

Frank Reusen

I have been using Luigi's halfcases for years. He has made them for my M6, M7, R8, R9, DMR & now the M8..... The cases are masterpieces and wear very well. I feel that they protect the camera very effectively and in the case of the M8 definitely dampen the shutter noise..... ;):rolleyes:

His site was recently down for a bit due to computer problems but he is back!!!

I have no experience with any of the half case solutions, but use the Leica hand grip both on my MP - with motor and my M8. These hand grips are the only thing that makes sense to me when using Leicas which are heavy cameras, relatively speaking, say, compared to Zeiss Ikon.

I would strongly recommend you to try out the original Leica hand grip for a while. They are very comfortable to use when having big hands and offer a safer grip. I hardly think that these half case solutions even come close.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 7 months later...

I bought the half protector case made by Leica and it was a disaster. I though this camera case would protect the camera from any erosion in the surface of the skin or bottom plate, adding small grips for a better handling. But...

I have found that this case damages the vinyl skin of the M8 camera, in the front-right and back-right parts of the body (see the attached prictures). The cause is a hard internal zone just behind the front and back grips of the half-protector case (see the pictures). The vinyl skin is eroded due to the abrasive contact of those two hard parts with the body.

I wrote to Leica and they admitted the problem (but they haven't got many reports of this problem). I am waiting for a new version of the case or any other solution. I will replace the vinyl or plastic skin of my camera when this solution is notified to me. I was a bit upset.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I suggest you skip the case, either the Leica or Luigi, and the grip base and replace the original covering on the M8 with the GripTac covering from Camera Leather dot com.

I have it on both my M8's and there is NO need for the grip base anymore, never used or liked cases on any camera I've owned. I can now actually grap the M8's without them slipping out of my hand/s.

See the 3 threads about this from me, marknorton and walt on this forum.

I bought the half protector case made by Leica and it was a disaster. I though this camera case would protect the camera from any erosion in the surface of the skin or bottom plate, adding small grips for a better handling. But...

I have found that this case damages the vinyl skin of the M8 camera, in the front-right and back-right parts of the body (see the attached prictures). The cause is a hard internal zone just behind the front and back grips of the half-protector case (see the pictures). The vinyl skin is eroded due to the abrasive contact of those two hard parts with the body.

I wrote to Leica and they admitted the problem (but they haven't got many reports of this problem). I am waiting for a new version of the case or any other solution. I will replace the vinyl or plastic skin of my camera when this solution is notified to me. I was a bit upset.

Hello:

Just thought that I would add my two cents.

I have had the same experience with the Leica half-case as noted in the above quote and discontinued using it. I replaced it with the Luigi half-case, back flap and grip, and have found it to be a masterful piece of leather work that is additionally quite functional and comfortable to use. Furthermore, it does not in any way mar the surface of the camera. From my perspective, it was a worthy investment.

I've tried just about every solution to improve the grip on my M8... M8 grip, Luigi half case with grip, griptac covering, and thumbs-up. Each one of them is an improvement over the original. I do keep switching back and forth depending on mood and what I'm doing that day.

My current choice for street work in NYC with a 28mm or 35mm lens is the griptac and thumbs-up combination. It keeps the camera small and unobtrusive. When I'm sightseeing with the family and the camera is sling ove rmy shoulder (and I'm not constantly shooting) I use the luigi case... it is a delight to the senses. When I'm using a longer lens I use the M8 grip. This makes the camera look bigger but gives you the best hold.

Mike