M8 half case, vs. Luigi case, M8 grip

pklein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:

Just thought that I would add my two cents.

I have had the same experience with the Leica half-case as noted in the above quote and discontinued using it. I replaced it with the Luigi half-case, back flap and grip, and have found it to be a masterful piece of leather work that is additionally quite functional and comfortable to use. Furthermore, it does not in any way mar the surface of the camera. From my perspective, it was a worthy investment.

Same problem with me : I warned my Leica dealer here and they will ask the distributor.

I intend to ask a refund or a replacement from them or Leica.

Same problem with me : I warned my Leica dealer here and they will ask the distributor.

I intend to ask a refund or a replacement from them or Leica.

Please, tell us about the response. I am in a similar situation.

Might take time :

1. if they ask me to prove it, I won't be able to do so : I managed to rub the vulcanite free of any marks. I have also a very slight rub on the body, besides the "M 8" engraving, but they could tell me I just rubbed the camera on the inside of a bag or anything.:D

2. even if my Leica dealer pleads that I'm a well identified customer and known to be

maniac with details, not sure it will have any effect

3. I'll send them the link to this very page, with your pictures.

4. My R9 (a loose screw — under warranty) and Digilux 2 (sensor down - under warranty) are going to Solms soon ; I'll join them a letter about the case.

I suggest you skip the case, either the Leica or Luigi, and the grip base and replace the original covering on the M8 with the GripTac covering from Camera Leather dot com.

I have it on both my M8's and there is NO need for the grip base anymore, never used or liked cases on any camera I've owned. I can now actually grap the M8's without them slipping out of my hand/s.

See the 3 threads about this from me, marknorton and walt on this forum.

Did you replace it yourself or send it to CameraLeather ?

From my perspective the only negative about the Luigi case is price. The leather is unbelievable, the craftsmanship fantastic, and the endresult super

I paid the price and after one year I stand by my decision.

Woody Spedden

I agree on all points except the glue that he uses on the leather clips is not very strong (not sure what the leather clips are called officially). It has come out and I have to reglue them all together again.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the Luigi case--no issues and it has broken in/aged well. I can recommend it (and the matching strap) without reservation, even though it's not cheap. Below is a quote from a post I wrote about it after it first arrived. BTW, I got the half case with the fold-down flap that covers the LCD. Thanks, Will

The case, even without grip, does give a bit of bulk. Some things I'd like to contribute that haven't been mentioned: (1) The case surface and that little extra width moves fingers back from the rangerfinder window (no "pinkout" failures in the viewfinder any longer). (2) The camera is cushioned so when it's set down it doesn't "clunk." (3) The camera is now "sticky" because of the leather surface, making it *much* easier to grip in the hand. (4) Smells good. :) (5) No more nose grease on my screen and no more direct worries about scratching the screen. (And, of course, the case would come off of the camera for prolonged storage, should that happen.)

Maybe anyone with a well-made leather half case knows these things already--I haven't owned one so I did know. If you knew, bear with me. Thanks, Will.

I Have used the grip and the Leica "protector".

For me the protector is better to hold than the grip. For some reason I dont like the grip any more. Doesnt give me a compfortable hold of the M8.

The protector feels very good but I dont like a) to remove it to reach the SD Card and B) I also experience the "wear"-problem mentioned earlier in this thread (however I dont thnik its thst badm just a little abuse of the plastic-leather-skin).

Lately I just use the M8 without the grip and the protector-and I am getting used to it.

Cheers, Tom

The protector feels very good but I dont like a) to remove it to reach the SD Card and B) I also experience the "wear"-problem mentioned earlier in this thread (however I dont thnik its thst badm just a little abuse of the plastic-leather-skin).

Tom,

The wear is that bad, in the sense I noticed it when it began to rub the body, above the vinyle. The culprit is a plastic reinforcement inside the velvet lining of the Protector.

Plus, as I will soon a leather cover, I don't want it to be damaged — at least, by a Protector. If it were after tumbling down a cliff, I would'nt mind. :cool:

• 1 month later...
is there any news from leica's on their too tight fitted half case ?

tia michiel

No. An deafening silence, as we say in french.

My R9 will soon go there for some light repair.

I'll join the Protector with it, as a gift…:D

No, for the moment. Leica should be informed of this problems. Stefan Daniel told me they would contact the supplier of these cases. He also said only other case like mine was reported to them. I think most people don't notice, or don't care.

The half protector wasn't expensive (if memory serves me well, it was 80 euros or something like that), but it damaged the plastic skin of my camera. I bought it just for avoiding superficial damages!

Mr. Zhou also offers leather half cases on eBay:

New Mr.Zhou Leica M8 Brown Half Case with built-in grip - eBay (item 180232581760 end time Apr-18-08 18:34:10 PDT)

I have seen one, and they are very well made. They also have a small grip, but I don't know how it affects the internal pressure of the case against the camera.

2252400760_95c54cc78a_o.jpg

2252401158_0a8c389e41_o.jpg

No, for the moment. Leica should be informed of this problems. Stefan Daniel told me they would contact the supplier of these cases. He also said only other case like mine was reported to them. I think most people don't notice, or don't care.

The half protector wasn't expensive (if memory serves me well, it was 80 euros or something like that), but it damaged the plastic skin of my camera. I bought it just for avoiding superficial damages!

the other case must have been sthan's ;)

despite of its tight fit the case still looks great to me but i think leica has other priorities at the moment digging this out with its supplier. it also might have to do with the small and different tolerations with this case that only a few have complained.

nevertheless thx for the feedback.

btw. mr zhou's is not my piece of cake

One of the best grips made is the Custom Grip

look at:

Accessories from PhotoEquip

If I remember, it runs about $170.00/US

I have the Leica Grip (which I would be ready to sell) and went to the grip from photoequip.

The grip attaches to the base plate and makes a nice package.

Gary

Gary I. Rothstein, Photography

I own the Luigi's half case + grip + Thumb's up. Luigi have a model modified to accommodate the Thumbs up.

The combination is excellent IMHO .

I would have to agree, but then I really like the Thumbs Up CS grip design!

Luigi produced this half case for me two months ago, and I find it provides more confidence handing the M8 since I use it everyday fitting Thumbs Up and Thumbs Up CS models as final QC checks. I also find my battery life is extended with the Luigi case. I am less likely to look at each shot with the rear flap closed.

Below is the Luigi half case in Rally leather, Thumbs Up CS with a 21mm Voigtlander viewfinder and 15mm Super Wide Heliar.

2437903887_402fc78fb2_o.jpg

2438726002_969c652e5e_o.jpg

• 4 months later...
I bought the half protector case made by Leica and it was a disaster. I though this camera case would protect the camera from any erosion in the surface of the skin or bottom plate, adding small grips for a better handling. But...

I have found that this case damages the vinyl skin of the M8 camera, in the front-right and back-right parts of the body (see the attached prictures). The cause is a hard internal zone just behind the front and back grips of the half-protector case (see the pictures). The vinyl skin is eroded due to the abrasive contact of those two hard parts with the body.

I wrote to Leica and they admitted the problem (but they haven't got many reports of this problem). I am waiting for a new version of the case or any other solution. I will replace the vinyl or plastic skin of my camera when this solution is notified to me. I was a bit upset.

I have the same problem here. Feel kind of upset about the Leica case since it was suppose to protect the camera instead of scratching the camera. :mad:

Leica Japan told me that I can repair the camera with charge ... this made me so disappointed. That mean I paid more (the Leica half case) to scratch my camera and I have to pay again if I want to fix it.

the other case must have been sthan's ;)

Right.

I warned my Leica dealer here, who did nothing, of course.

I ditched it for a while.

Then I had the vinyl replaced with leather, and surprisingly (I check

every once in a while), the half protector does not damage

the leather as it did with the vinyl.

Now it's (slightly) marking the body, just over and under

the cover.

Ditched it again.

Leica should do its homework on this anyway, at least

proposing a free replacement of the body's covering.

And why not a free Hermes leather cover for instance ?

And a 3 days cruise to Santorini, just to soothe its bruised customers ? :cool:

Guest kirkmingle

I thought about getting the Leica grip, but decided to try the Luigi first, because I like to cover the LCD and all buttons on the backside while shooting. But if safety is your first priority then get the Leica grip. Maybe even get a new leather for the camera+grip from CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette. They ship pre-cut "skins" for the M8 now. If the LCD gets scratched you can just buy the new screen upgrade from Leica :)