M8 half case, vs. Luigi case, M8 grip

pklein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the same problem here. Feel kind of upset about the Leica case since it was suppose to protect the camera instead of scratching the camera. :mad:

Leica Japan told me that I can repair the camera with charge ... this made me so disappointed. That mean I paid more (the Leica half case) to scratch my camera and I have to pay again if I want to fix it.

It was offered a skin replacement for free to me, but I cannot send the camera to Solms for 3, 4 weeks...

I am still waiting for a solution to this problem. I want to return the halfcase and get a new one, with an improved design.

I also have the M8 half case, causing the same damage as others have reported. Nevertheless I still use it - but very carefully. Peronally I have no urgent need to have the cover replaced but if anyone feels differently that is perfectly valid. A protector should protect & not destroy.

It seems that Leica replaced the cover free of charge in some countries and not in others? This is stupid & they should instruct the importers and local shops on what 'The Leica Policy' is (one hopes "repair free of charge").

This is similar to the baseplate failure/cracking up of the body discussed at length elsewhere, some were repaired free of charge while others have to pay for the same failure. We are still waiting for the official Leica statement on that as was requested by one of the moderators.

If I wanted to have the cover repaired under warranty I would hope to convince Leica to send the cover to me or my dealer. Replacing it is not rocket science. Sending it to Solms just makes all the Leica gear more expensive (all the money involved comes from us ultimately).

It was offered a skin replacement for free to me, but I cannot send the camera to Solms for 3, 4 weeks...

I am still waiting for a solution to this problem. I want to return the halfcase and get a new one, with an improved design.

@rosuna: Thanks for the info, I feel more upset since they didn't give me any offer, instead they told me it will cost 27405 yen for leather replacement. :mad:

@SJP: I decided to stop using it. It damaged both side at first, and yesterday I found out it also happen at the back which is same as rosuna's camera.

It simply show they did bad job on product testing. Come on, it is not a $50 dollar case..

I have email both Leica Japan and Germany again, and waiting for the reply. :confused:

• 1 month later...
Hello:

Just thought that I would add my two cents.

I have had the same experience with the Leica half-case as noted in the above quote and discontinued using it. I replaced it with the Luigi half-case, back flap and grip, and have found it to be a masterful piece of leather work that is additionally quite functional and comfortable to use. Furthermore, it does not in any way mar the surface of the camera. From my perspective, it was a worthy investment.

I wish that were true. The threading on my Luigi 1/2 case (which I really do love) has left serious rubmarks on the corners and back of my M8 (see attached image).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Forum,

I'm very disappointed, two weeks ago I bought a M8.2 with a Leica Leather Half Case and now i found infromation about this problem in Leica Forum!

First of all, it is sad to know that there are still for sale versions that ruining the vinyl of the M8(.2), when Leica have already solved the problem with a new Leather Half Case. Read ArtZ experience, here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/66919-hurray-they-re-back-2.html

My Half Leather Case is sadly a bad one, I sent an alert to my dealer, where I made the purchase, and he sent this warning to the official importer (here in Italy), but I have little hope of solving this problem.

Luigi Case for M8 i think isn't the solution, i don't need rubmarks like the ryanpeck's M8

Now i'm waiting for an answer from the Leica official importer, but if i will havn't a new Leica Leather half Case ( that solves the problem like the Forum user ArtZ) what can i do ? Any suggestions?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English (... I use google translator :cool: )

Hi Forum,

I'm very disappointed, two weeks ago I bought a M8.2 with a Leica Leather Half Case and now i found infromation about this problem in Leica Forum!

First of all, it is sad to know that there are still for sale versions that ruining the vinyl of the M8(.2), when Leica have already solved the problem with a new Leather Half Case. Read ArtZ experience, here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/66919-hurray-they-re-back-2.html

My Half Leather Case is sadly a bad one, I sent an alert to my dealer, where I made the purchase, and he sent this warning to the official importer (here in Italy), but I have little hope of solving this problem.

Luigi Case for M8 i think isn't the solution, i don't need rubmarks like the ryanpeck's M8

Now i'm waiting for an answer from the Leica official importer, but if i will havn't a new Leica Leather half Case ( that solves the problem like the Forum user ArtZ) what can i do ? Any suggestions?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English (... I use google translator :cool: )

Leica replaced (for free) damaged vulcanite and the old Leica leather half case model for the new model for my both cameras .

The differences are: 1.- clips are at the back of camera in the new model; 2.- new leather case is slightly thinner (better for playing with the scroll wheel; 3.- No sewing and proeminent parts touching the vulcanite. Besides, the new vulcanite is also different.

The Leica leather strap (with the chromed metal screws) had damaged also top plate in one of my cameras. They have also replaced the top plate for free. Now, there's also a new model of Leica leather strap where chromed metal screws have been replaced for plastic. And they even offered me engraving my signature in one camera... Thank you, Leica.

I don't know if Leica will replace all damaged vulcanites, old Leica leather half case models for the new ones and damaged top plates with Leica leather straps... OR if it's just a courtesy gesture. I have good relations with CS at Solms, I'm registered as a professional photographer (2 days return service, 10% off buying lenses, etc.) and I'm a good customer... (even if I complain when needed!)

Cheers!

The Leica leather strap (with the chromed metal screws) had damaged also top plate in one of my cameras. They have also replaced the top plate for free. Now, there's also a new model of Leica leather strap where chromed metal screws have been replaced for plastic. And they even offered me engraving my signature in one camera... Thank you, Leica.

This sounds new for me, new Leica Leather straps! Have they replaced the metal rings with plastic ones ? But are these plastic rings strong enough ? Have you a photo or a link where i can see these new Leather strap ?

I don't know if Leica will replace all damaged vulcanites, old Leica leather half case models for the new ones and damaged top plates with Leica leather straps... OR if it's just a courtesy gesture. I have good relations with CS at Solms, I'm registered as a professional photographer (2 days return service, 10% off buying lenses, etc.) and I'm a good customer... (even if I complain when needed!)

Cheers!

I don't know if this is the normal Leica Policy, but i think that you are a lucky man, i hope me too ;)

No, for the moment. Leica should be informed of this problems. Stefan Daniel told me they would contact the supplier of these cases. He also said only other case like mine was reported to them. I think most people don't notice, or don't care.

The half protector wasn't expensive (if memory serves me well, it was 80 euros or something like that), but it damaged the plastic skin of my camera. I bought it just for avoiding superficial damages!

Mr. Zhou also offers leather half cases on eBay:

New Mr.Zhou Leica M8 Brown Half Case with built-in grip - eBay (item 180232581760 end time Apr-18-08 18:34:10 PDT)

I have seen one, and they are very well made. They also have a small grip, but I don't know how it affects the internal pressure of the case against the camera.

2252400760_95c54cc78a_o.jpg

2252401158_0a8c389e41_o.jpg

I got the Mr. Zhou half case since last Sept and no damage to the camera at all. feel free to order it. it is well made and very affordable IMO

This sounds new for me, new Leica Leather straps! Have they replaced the metal rings with plastic ones ? But are these plastic rings strong enough ? Have you a photo or a link where i can see these new Leather strap ?

Gianluca,

I've seen them last week at my dealer's "La Maison du Leica" here in Paris. I showed the owner how I had avoided the problem... and he showed me the NEW Leica leather straps he received just before Christmas... Addition: I'm NOT talking about the two rings at the extremities of the leather strap to attach the camera BUT the chrome screws to adjust the strap length!

I still have the original ones BUT I have cover the screws with thermoplastic for electrical insulatation (thermo moldable). It works perfect for me. I paid something like 1€ for 50cm of thermo moldable stuff 1" diameter.

Hope that helps

ArtZ

Hi Forum,

Never had such a problem with my Luigi half case (with built-in grip, which I think is exactly the "right size", at least for my hands). Actually, I just ordered a second one in a different finish.

Never had such a problem with my Luigi half case (with built-in grip, which I think is exactly the "right size", at least for my hands). Actually, I just ordered a second one in a different finish.

Thanks Ecar, But I have some doubts about "Luigi half case" , you havn't had the same experience posted by ryanpeck. Maybe his case is defective, but his M8 have a lot of rubmarks, maybe his "Luigi Half case" is too tight. I don't know, but the risk exists, at this point i think it's better the new version of Leica Half Case, but I have seen these Case only in photos...

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Which Luigi M8 case do most prefer; the built-in full grip or the std. half case with the 'bump"? I'm trying to figure out which would work best for my have medium sized hands.

Thanks.

i've been using luigi's cases for a couple of years without any rub-marks whatsoever appearing on my camera at all, just scuff marks on the exposed areas through general use. i use and actually prefer the half-case without the grip, although i own both. I've tried attaching the leica-grip for m8 but i don't get along with it although again, this is just a personal preference. the luigi v leica version feels and looks much better than the leica version in use imo. if you're willing to pay the extra cash, i'd say it's worth it. it's detail is very good and it has padded bumps on the front which already greatly improves grip on the camera and takes up less space in my small camera bag which is stuffed (m8 with 50 attached rests on uwa finder case). for your "medium-sized hands", this would suffice and feel comfortable. incidentally, i don't use the optional stainless steel tripod screw any more because on my other case (with grip), it jams on the camera every time and i have to completely unscrew it out of the camera and case to remove it which was eventually too fiddle-y and a real nuisance to use practically. the hanging flap gets my vote over the removable one which will definitely get lost at some point. last but not least, service from luigi is ultra-polite with fast despatch and i am a returning customer

john

Just a quick update to my earlier posting asking if Leica would replace the defective half case - they are and will do so free of charge.

Also they said they will change the body covering that has been damaged also. I'm hoping they will offer the newer vulcanite version...

Just a quick update to my earlier posting asking if Leica would replace the defective half case - they are and will do so free of charge.

Also they said they will change the body covering that has been damaged also. I'm hoping they will offer the newer vulcanite version...

Hi,

how do we do this then, take the half case back to the dealer where we bought it and it will replace it with a new one or we have to send it to Leica directly asking for replacement?

Tks

Daniel

Well I'd like to know if they do put the newer style covering on. I've just gone round with Leica NJ about the new covering. I sent in a M8 for sensor replacement, line in the sensor, and asked if they couldn't reuse the GripTac covering that I put on the camera to put the new style on it. They wanted to charge me $330 for it, which I declined.

In my opinion all original M8's that go back for major service, service that they need to take the covering off to take the camera apart, should be upgraded to the newer covering free of charge. The original M8 covering is the terrible.