Leica 90 macro lens with adapter on Leica T

Does the new Leica Macro adapter and 90 macro lens work on the Leica T ( with the T adapter)?

Yes it does - and it works really really well. To be honest, I think it might be better on the T than the M - You need to stack the adapters, but that's okay, they're really well made and fit nicely - you can focus from 41cm right to infinity. Much Recommended.

• Like 3

Yes it does - and it works really really well. To be honest, I think it might be better on the T than the M - You need to stack the adapters, but that's okay, they're really well made and fit nicely - you can focus from 41cm right to infinity. Much Recommended.

At 41cm, what level of magnification do you get with the T, Jono?

I have the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 G ED (with internal focusing, which provides a constant f2.8?), which manually focuses down to 185 mm. According to NIkon, on full frame, this provides a 1:1 reproduction ratio (compared to 1:2 of the Macro-Elmar).

I appreciate that on the T, the Macro-Elmar translates to 137.7 mm and the Micro Nikkor to 91.8 mm, but what effect (if any) does this have on the macro? I suspect it means that for macro, the Nikkor is a better, if bulkier, option.

Cheers

John

At 41cm, what level of magnification do you get with the T, Jono?

I have the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 G ED (with internal focusing, which provides a constant f2.8?), which manually focuses down to 185 mm. According to NIkon, on full frame, this provides a 1:1 reproduction ratio (compared to 1:2 of the Macro-Elmar).

I appreciate that on the T, the Macro-Elmar translates to 137.7 mm and the Micro Nikkor to 91.8 mm, but what effect (if any) does this have on the macro? I suspect it means that for macro, the Nikkor is a better, if bulkier, option.

Cheers

John

HI John

I'm not sure what the magnification is (but I think you're right that it's less than the Nikkor). I've also used the Leica R 60 macro, which works well.

Of course, the nice thing about the macro elmar is that you can use the adapter with other lenses providing greater magnification.

For my purposes 1:2 (actually I guess it's more like 1:1.5 on the T) is quite enough, and it makes a nice package for hand holding (even if it looks a bit odd!).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

FWIW this was taken with the Noctilux at f0.95 using the macro adapter M

All the best

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure what the magnification is (but I think you're right that it's less than the Nikkor).

For my purposes 1:2 (actually I guess it's more like 1:1.5 on the T)

Jono, I don't think the size of the sensor makes any difference to the macro magnification of a lens – 1:2 is half life size whether it is projected on a cropped aps-c sensor or a large medium format sensor. The T with Macro Elmar does not provide greater magnification than the same lens used with the M, it simply crops in tighter.

Ian, I think it does make a difference.

The minimum focus distance with the same lens is the same on either FF or DX, but on dx the sensor crops to 2/3 of the size. 

So the subject on the digital "negative" is same size on both formats, but the DX "negative" is overall smaller size. So when you "enlarge to the same size (same screen size or same print size) the subject will be larger 1,5 times on the dx shot.

So if a lens would be 1:3 on FF, then it would be 1:2 on DX.

No, the sensor crop doesn't change the macro capability of a lens any more than it increases the reach of a telephoto lens.

Yes. 

Magnification is magnification... 1:1 on a 35mm format means that a field area of 24x36 mm will be captured, whereas 1:1 on a T's APS-C format means that a 16x24 mm field will be captured. Fit the same lens to a FourThirds sensor and you capture 13x17.3 mm at 1:1 magnification. Similarly, 1:1 on my Hasselblad 500CM means that I'm going to capture a 56x56 mm field with an A12 film back. 

• Magnification has nothing to do with format.
  • Field coverage at a magnification depends on the format size.