Visoflex GPS on Leica T ... no information

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have a Leia T, upgraded to 1.1

and a visoflex.

I can switch 'on' the GPS in the Leica menu, but ...

• How can I check there is a location 'fix'?
  • there are no coordinates in my exif (aperture nor lightroom)

Any tips, tricks, experiences?

Thanks !

Luc

Hi,

I have a Leia T, upgraded to 1.1

and a visoflex.

I can switch 'on' the GPS in the Leica menu, but ...

• How can I check there is a location 'fix'?
  • there are no coordinates in my exif (aperture nor lightroom)

Any tips, tricks, experiences?

Thanks !

Luc

I seem to have the same problem - I'll check it out further - anyone else?

At the bottom-right of the INFO display (between JPEG resolution and Wi-Fi status symbol), there is a "satellite" symbol when the GPS is turned ON. If it has an exclamation point, the GPS is not receiving a signal yet. Once reception is good, the exclamation point goes away. Only then will the coordinates be captured. See page 179 of the Instruction Manual for details.

My experience is that the GPS is very slow to acquire a signal when you first turn on the camera (even outdoors in clear sky). It can take a minute or more. It seems to be faster when waking from sleep. Obviously, various factors affect reception. Indoors is not very reliable. The iPhone has additional help from cellular and Wi-Fi positioning data, so it is much faster.

The GPS also affects battery performance. Despite its quirks, I really like having the GPS feature and it influenced my decision to get the Visoflex. I hope this helps.

• Like 3

At the bottom-right of the INFO display (between JPEG resolution and Wi-Fi status symbol), there is a "satellite" symbol when the GPS is turned ON. If it has an exclamation point, the GPS is not receiving a signal yet. Once reception is good, the exclamation point goes away. Only then will the coordinates be captured. See page 179 of the Instruction Manual for details.

My experience is that the GPS is very slow to acquire a signal when you first turn on the camera (even outdoors in clear sky). It can take a minute or more. It seems to be faster when waking from sleep. Obviously, various factors affect reception. Indoors is not very reliable. The iPhone has additional help from cellular and Wi-Fi positioning data, so it is much faster.

The GPS also affects battery performance. Despite its quirks, I really like having the GPS feature and it influenced my decision to get the Visoflex. I hope this helps.

Pilot-Kurt,

it was indeed my impatience and expectations that made me wonder ...

It works as you described, just needed some minutes to fix, and since I have the habit to switch off camera when not taking pictures the next few minutes, I never had an image with coordinates.

It works ! thanks.

(although I would expect better results from a company that produces GPS material)

• 2 months later...

I have to figure out the same problem with the Leica X Type 113. I shot around main street today for 30 minutes and never got a satellite fix. I know I moved around, but I can't stand out in the parking lot for 1/2 hour with the camera on, hoping a get a signal.... I had some trouble with the M handgrip originally too.

I wonder if getting the first signal helps with future signals if you are in similar locations. Kind of like the system knows almost where you are, so locking in is easier...

What we really need is a menu item to 'obtain location' that you can see if progress is being made and cancel if it takes too long.

Also, wonder if the power saving setting to 'sleep' takes an almost obtained signal and requires starting over when you push the shutter button to wake...

Do need more feedback on the display...

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

To determine the location of the GPS satellites two types of data are required by the GPS receiver: the almanac and the ephemeris. This data is continuously transmitted by the GPS satellites and your GPS receiver collects and stores this data.

The almanac contains information about the status of the satellites and approximate orbital information. The GPS receiver uses the almanac to calculate which satellites are currently visible. The almanac is not accurate enough to let the GPS receiver get a fix. If the GPS receiver is new, or has not been used for some time, it may need 15 minutes or so to receive a current almanac. In older GPS receivers, an almanac is required to acquire the satellites, but many newer models are able to acquire the satellites without waiting for the almanac.

To get a fix, your GPS receiver requires additional data for each satellite, called the ephemeris. This data gives very precise information about the orbit of each satellite. Your GPS receiver can use the ephemeris data to calculate the location of a satellite to with a metre or two. The ephemeris is updated every 2 hours and is usually valid for 4 hours. If your GPS receiver has been off for a while, it may take up to several minutes to receive the ephemeris data from each satellite, before it can get a fix.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to figure out the same problem with the Leica X Type 113. I shot around main street today for 30 minutes and never got a satellite fix. I know I moved around, but I can't stand out in the parking lot for 1/2 hour with the camera on, hoping a get a signal.... I had some trouble with the M handgrip originally too.

I wonder if getting the first signal helps with future signals if you are in similar locations. Kind of like the system knows almost where you are, so locking in is easier...

What we really need is a menu item to 'obtain location' that you can see if progress is being made and cancel if it takes too long.

Also, wonder if the power saving setting to 'sleep' takes an almost obtained signal and requires starting over when you push the shutter button to wake...

Do need more feedback on the display...

Thoughts?

I will pay attention to this for you. I'm curious; I've noticed the gps isn't instant but haven't bothered to really carefully observe its behavior yet. Some things I'm curious about the time to acquire coming from different states: newly off and on vs off for a while vs sleeping. How long it takes to acquire when I move the camera a substantial distance etc...

There are certain tricks that the GPS can use to get a fix faster and these may apply to the leica T. See the Wikipedia entry on A-GPS. This may be another good use for the WiFi or something that could be added to the app. The T could phone home and get a fresh almanac or get the almanac and low resolution fix from the iPhone.

I believe that the GPS position not yet acquired symbol on the bottom of the screen is kind of subtle and put in a request with leica that they make it more obvious. Like make it red or something.