Medium Format 6x6 vs MM

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is a pity to scan a Mamiya 6 (or 7) negative. Printing via an enlarger with iso 25-100 films will give you at least the same or a better image made with any digital camera system.

About resolution: Any regular iso 25 B&W film can give you 170lp/mm x56mm.

Different media so trying to make a good analysis is impossible. Just look at some nice pictures made with these cameras and enjoy! Both cameras and lenses are at a very high technical level.

ISO 25 - what's that? ;)

(Nicht ernst!)

In follow-up to both KM-25 and fotohuis - I've made my first wet-darkroom prints in a decade, and in "ultimate pixel-peeper" mode - rescanning silver and inkjet prints at high magnification, just for the heck of it - I would say that the silver prints, in practical as opposed to theoretical resolution, reach about 400 lines per inch, whereas pigment inkjets top out around 300-360 lines per inch (and may be as low as 240 lpi using the "fast" photo settings.)

(Note I am talking image resolution, not ink dots per inch).

This is mostly irrelevant in large prints, where the original capture resolution (format, film, sensor, lens, technique) will be the limiting factor, not the print resolution. But in smaller prints (<= 8x10 or A4), silver will hold a little more of whatever you captured.

Possibly even beyond what the unaided human eye can resolve. But I have a pet theory that the total visual system (including the brain's ability to process what it sees) can perceive the difference between "more detail than the eye can see" and "just enough detail for the eye to see." It can tell, subliminally, when there is "more" there - even if it can't actually resolve the "more."

• Like 3

Beauty is not measured by resolution.

And please, if you're gonna scan a 120 neg instead of printing in a darkroom, I think you are wasting money, time, quality, energy, beauty and knowledge. It makes no sense!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And please, if you're gonna scan a 120 neg instead of printing in a darkroom, I think you are wasting money, time, quality, energy, beauty and knowledge. It makes no sense!

That sort of fundamentalist nonsense is as bad as all the digital trolling that goes on around here. When I scan my 120 negatives, they look totally different to anything I can do with a digital camera.

Anyone else as tired as I am by half the Internet telling the other half they are doing it* wrong?

Sheesh.

*insert any subject known to humanity here

• Like 10

Beauty is not measured by resolution.

And yet you feel able to illustrate your point with a digitised image posted at low resolution on the internet. I think you just ticked the 'bullshit' box.

Steve

• Like 1

And yet you feel able to illustrate your point with a digitised image posted at low resolution on the internet. I think you just ticked the 'bullshit' box.

There's no need for sarcasm or insults. Let's treat each other with respect.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's no need for sarcasm or insults. Let's treat each other with respect.

I think you will find that I've just been told I'm wasting my time, energy, and knowledge in an unprovoked attack. Sarcasm is getting off lightly.

Edit, sorry forgot, I have no 'sense' either.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

Steve

Yes, this is the iphone at its best.

Lets face it, film is so much better then digital that even a shitty iphone image of a Film FB print looks better then a high-rez digital image.

Edited by NB23

That sort of fundamentalist nonsense is as bad as all the digital trolling that goes on around here. When I scan my 120 negatives, they look totally different to anything I can do with a digital camera.

Anyone else as tired as I am by half the Internet telling the other half they are doing it* wrong?

Sheesh.

*insert any subject known to humanity here

Are you trying to tell me that your scanned negs look better then real prints?

So yes, you are wasting a lot of efforts, money, time, knowledge and some more on scanning.

Go the real way or cut yourself a treat and go digital.

I is absolutely no care.

Maybe is one of my stoudents?

Maybe is your grandmother?

Who is know?

If you find that you cannot remember writing your posts the morning after, then you have chosen the right profession.

If you find that you cannot remember writing your posts the morning after, then you have chosen the right profession.

You think calling me a troll will make me stop being honest with myself and make me stop posting what I honestly think?

As i said, calling someone a troll is so 2007. I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

And I salute your cleverness. Indeed, my name, the one in my passport, is not NB23. Not even Broncoman. Geez, I am now unmasked. What am I gonna tell my wife?

I is absolutely no care.

Maybe is one of my stoudents?

Maybe is your grandmother?

Who is know?

If you "is absolutely no care" about what you write here, you'll forgive us if we is also absolutely no care and put you on our ignore lists. I'm surprised the moderators haven't banished you long ago.

• Like 1