Sign in to follow this  
Joe Lazio

Leica T problems

Guest badbob

The T may have been suggested as a simple camera to someone, but I don't see it that way, unless the user doesn't want to use the features it has. It does have its own personality, but once learned and accomodated it produces good results.

Sorry my late to reply. The T has a lot of problems that, I explained in a previous post. And if you want more information about the problems with the Leica T, please scroll and read this Forum. My Leica T will be unused until an appropriate update be available, Meanwhile I'm using other APS mirrorless cameras that have little problems. Best Regards:)

I brought my T in June, and three months later I'm left feeling very disappointed with my Leica T experience, and I certainly have issues with the build quality. This is a beautiful camera, but despite the aluminium housing and apparent robustness, the touch screen is very fragile, so much so that the screen on my camera cracked within two weeks. Leica has been very difficult about this, insisting that it was my fault and that I had "impacted" the camera in some way. I disputed this and questioned the build quality but got nowhere. The cost of the repair with Leica Switzerland was just under the cost of the body (i.e. scandalously expensive), leaving me highly dissatisfied with the outcome and Leica's customer service in general. And note that there is a disparity with the Leica Passport system, which extends to accidental damage coverage in some countries (e.g. the UK, but apparently not Switzerland). So, even though Leica had the discretion to repair my camera for free, as they would have done if it had been bought in a Passport covered country, they elected to battle me and take me (and my insurance company to the cleaners).

The end result? One very disgruntled ex-Leica customer. I promptly sold the repaired camera immediately and would never buy Leica again. And the strap squeaks on its mounting pins....

Guest badbob
I brought my T in June, and three months later I'm left feeling very disappointed with my Leica T experience, and I certainly have issues with the build quality. This is a beautiful camera, but despite the aluminium housing and apparent robustness, the touch screen is very fragile, so much so that the screen on my camera cracked within two weeks. Leica has been very difficult about this, insisting that it was my fault and that I had "impacted" the camera in some way. I disputed this and questioned the build quality but got nowhere. The cost of the repair with Leica Switzerland was just under the cost of the body (i.e. scandalously expensive), leaving me highly dissatisfied with the outcome and Leica's customer service in general. And note that there is a disparity with the Leica Passport system, which extends to accidental damage coverage in some countries (e.g. the UK, but apparently not Switzerland). So, even though Leica had the discretion to repair my camera for free, as they would have done if it had been bought in a Passport covered country, they elected to battle me and take me (and my insurance company to the cleaners). The end result? One very disgruntled ex-Leica customer. I promptly sold the repaired camera immediately and would never buy Leica again. And the strap squeaks on its mounting pins....

That's a *very* odd experience. I dropped my 'T' on concrete, making a gnarly gash on the top right of the body, and a dent or gash at the top left of the screen, but I see no indication that the screen could be fragile. I might post photos of the damage when I get back home. I think if a screen cracks spontaneously, you could file small claims against Leica in a country where they do business. The U.S. legal system (in my country) makes that easy to do.

Did Leica state that you must have impacted the screen *before* or *after* they inspected the camera? They certainly should be able to use their Leica/Wilde microscopes to determine what really happened.

The Passport system is something that is provided in the UK and paid for by Leica UK, not head office.

I don't think that this is a very odd experience. These things happen with all sorts of products. I hope you and Leica can get to the bottom of what happened soon.

Do you have other insurance to cover the problem?

I brought my T in June, and three months later I'm left feeling very disappointed with my Leica T experience, and I certainly have issues with the build quality. This is a beautiful camera, but despite the aluminium housing and apparent robustness, the touch screen is very fragile, so much so that the screen on my camera cracked within two weeks.

HI Jonny

I'm sorry for your obvious bad experience. I've had 4 different T cameras over the past 10 months, and they've all been bashed about one way or another (not my job to mollycoddle them).

I can honestly say that I've had zero problems with build quality, I don't even have a scratched glass, let alone a broken one. Added to this, I've not heard of anyone else who has had this problem, so let's hope it's a very unlucky one off for you alone.

Seems it would have been better for Leica Switzerland to have simply fixed it rather than trying to blame you for it. (have you tried contacting Leica directly?).

Good luck getting it sorted.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've only had one T but for what it's worth also no hardware or build quality problems. Except that I don't like the strap and the rotating lugs squeak. But the new lugs from ThumbsUp and an old strap I have from Luigi at least the first problem will be fixed.

I put a tiny bit of watchmakers oil (any light oil will do) on mine several months ago and they are still silent ......

I've been meaning to do that. Thanks - that will take care of the second hardware problem.

HI Jonny

I'm sorry for your obvious bad experience. I've had 4 different T cameras over the past 10 months, and they've all been bashed about one way or another (not my job to mollycoddle them).

I can honestly say that I've had zero problems with build quality, I don't even have a scratched glass, let alone a broken one. Added to this, I've not heard of anyone else who has had this problem, so let's hope it's a very unlucky one off for you alone.

Seems it would have been better for Leica Switzerland to have simply fixed it rather than trying to blame you for it. (have you tried contacting Leica directly?).

Good luck getting it sorted.

I totally agree! Leica Switzerland was not at all helpful and failed to exercise any discretion in helping me resolve this. Maybe I was very unlucky with my camera, but it did not seem right that I was apparently able to cause CHF1600 of damage to the body and screen and not even know that I had done it (at least that is Leica's position). My insurance mostly covered this, but as a matter of principle I wanted to pursue this because the camera seemed so fragile.

I totally agree! Leica Switzerland was not at all helpful and failed to exercise any discretion in helping me resolve this. Maybe I was very unlucky with my camera, but it did not seem right that I was apparently able to cause CHF1600 of damage to the body and screen and not even know that I had done it (at least that is Leica's position). My insurance mostly covered this, but as a matter of principle I wanted to pursue this because the camera seemed so fragile.

I don't think it IS fragile - which suggests that there was something wrong with yours that it broke so easily. . . I don't see how they can know that it was your fault. If I were you I'd take it up with someone at Wetzlar.