Leica T problems

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to disagree with some comments. The Leica T does not work like many other cameras; makes it worse that some, costing considerably less. Meeting people in this forum who reason with logic on the camera, some complaints about the touch screen and other problems (I have not removed the original film protector and the screen works perfectly, will be a problem of quality control?. and for other their experience with Leica T is fantastic.

Nope. Except manufacturing quality is worse .For example the Sony a6000, with built-in viewer or the Olympus E-P5 (the viewer once placed, is locked to prevent loss) are better. I have also these two and I will add that IMO the Olympus 12-40 zoom is better than the Elmar 18-56 in mechanics and optics. As expressed in a

previous post I have stopped using the Leica T waiting for a firmware update. I used two Leicas that I keep; an M4 and CL, both wonderful, (therefore I love Leica); but my Leica T is far from it. So I continued waiting for the update that becomes the Leica we all want.

Sorry to hear. The camera works great for me.

Just on one point, apart from only dealing with reduced sensor coverage, the Olympus 12-40 is a terrible construction. It's a plastic lens with thin metal cladding and plastic screws connecting the mount to the chassis which have a habit of sheering off.

Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

The Vario T lens is a great construction. Even the inner barrel doesn't wobble :D

In summary of your other points I love the way the T works. The A6000 is definitely faster but many other cameras, eg, the RX1, are slower.

No one is saying the Leica T (or any other Leica) represents the best value in features per pound I think.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear. The camera works great for me.

Just on one point, apart from only dealing with reduced sensor coverage, the Olympus 12-40 is a terrible construction. It's a plastic lens with thin metal cladding and plastic screws connecting the mount to the chassis which have a habit of sheering off.

Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

The Vario T lens is a great construction. Even the inner barrel doesn't wobble :D

In summary of your other points I love the way the T works. The A6000 is definitely faster but many other cameras, eg, the RX1, are slower.

No one is saying the Leica T (or any other Leica) represents the best value in features per pound I think.

I do not keep any relationship with Olympus and therefore I can disagree completely their valuation on the 12-

40 Olympus zoom, that you have never used, and completely unknown. The example that you used is old and on a drop of the zoom that breaks down, no the screws but the place where they are screwed that is plastic. One could do a similar experiment by dropping down the Elmar, from a height not materialized on a carpet of thick ignored. I used the zoom and of course that is the best quality that the Elmar, With a value of f2.8 aperture throughout the focal range and sealed to protect from rain. Named Dpreview best gear 2013 and Dpreview Best Lens 2013 (second among 10 lenses selected).you should better comment about the correction for firmware of the Vario Elmar. Leica eluded speak, until Dpreview gave the news, leaving in an unpleasant position several testers.

In any case I am glad that the Leica T satisfy you completely and regret that other people, including me, have all sorts of problems while Leica silent, knowing your camera immaturity, even mixing languages ​​in the menu and citing in its manual the version 1.2 of a firmware still nonexistent.

Sorry to disappoint, actually I did have the 12-40 with the EM-1 and EM-5. There are many examples of that lens breaking, inc in some places it just being held in someone's bag.

The lens is good but nothing special for the price or compared to the Panny 12-35mm

Best Rgds

Edited by colonel

Except manufacturing quality is worse .For example the Sony a6000, with built-in viewer or the Olympus E-P5 (the viewer once placed, is locked to prevent loss) are better.

Could you explain what issues you have with the T’s manufacturing quality? The only specific issue you mention regards the viewfinder, but since it is not like it would come off on its own I don’t share your fear of losing it.

• Like 2

Hi There Joe

I quite agree with you that the 12-40 is an excellent lens, and from an optical point of view it is certainly up there with some of the best zooms for mirrorless cameras (much better than anything available for the NEX system for sure). Mine hasn't broken, and it feels good mechanically, so I can't really comment on the build quality. It also has a fixed aperture, but remember, it's bigger than the T zoom, and it's designed for a smaller sensor and is nearly as expensive.

Like all radical new cameras, there certainly is scope for a firmware update, and I'm quite sure there will be one, but I've been shooting the camera since last October, and as far as I'm concerned it works really well in almost all circumstances

What's more, although I like the lock of the viewfinder on the E-P5, I've never had the T viewfinder fall off, and I appreciate having the smaller camera when it's not needed.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There Joe

I quite agree with you that the 12-40 is an excellent lens, and from an optical point of view it is certainly up there with some of the best zooms for mirrorless cameras (much better than anything available for the NEX system for sure).

I've read this in many other posts, and while I'm sure it's all very true, is it even remotely relevant? The Olympus zoom is for μ4/3, whereas the Vario-Elmar is for APS-C. Leaving aside build quality (I'm quite happy with the quality of the Leica), what's the point?

For image quality, a comparison of an Olympus APS-C to the Leica, or a Leica μ4/3 to the Olympus would be more interesting. To blame Leica for the Vario-Elmar not being as good as the Olympus seems a waste of bandwidth. If the Olympus really is as good as people say, I would love the Vario-Elmar to be as good. I would also like the Vario-Elmar to be as good as the 28-90 zoom for the R series, or the Noctilux or any other modern (and some not so modern) M lenses.

But, it isn't. It's an APS-C zoom - easier perhaps to make an acceptable lens than an S, M or R lens, harder to make than for μ4/3. Now, an informative comparison to another APS-C system, zoom lens would be interesting ... to a point (as I actually own the Leica, and I don't spend a lot of time fretting over things I don't own).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I've read this in many other posts, and while I'm sure it's all very true, is it even remotely relevant? The Olympus zoom is for μ4/3, whereas the Vario-Elmar is for APS-C. Leaving aside build quality (I'm quite happy with the quality of the Leica), what's the point?

For image quality, a comparison of an Olympus APS-C to the Leica, or a Leica μ4/3 to the Olympus would be more interesting. To blame Leica for the Vario-Elmar not being as good as the Olympus seems a waste of bandwidth. If the Olympus really is as good as people say, I would love the Vario-Elmar to be as good. I would also like the Vario-Elmar to be as good as the 28-90 zoom for the R series, or the Noctilux or any other modern (and some not so modern) M lenses.

But, it isn't. It's an APS-C zoom - easier perhaps to make an acceptable lens than an S, M or R lens, harder to make than for μ4/3. Now, an informative comparison to another APS-C system, zoom lens would be interesting ... to a point (as I actually own the Leica, and I don't spend a lot of time fretting over things I don't own).

Cheers

John

Hi John

Well, I quite agree - I was only subscribing to the obvious, which is that the Zuiko 12-40 is a fine lens . . . . . . .whether it's better than the Vario-elmar is certainly a moot point. I suspect that it's a wash.

But actually, I was trying to find out Joe's real problem, and I thought that acknowledging the excellence of the 12-40 was a good way of relaxing the tension and finding out what was his real problem with the M

• Like 1

I'm sure that all of us have had the opportunity to play with or own a bunch of other cameras and formats. I've actually been fortunate to have had the recent batch of Fuji and Olympus cameras and played with the Sony's for a while. I'm still referred to as primarily a Nikon shooter.

Each of us can probably sit back and list our Good and Bad list on each and every camera. There are some things with the T that the other manufacturers may have perfected or have a better solution. At the same time, there are things that Leica and T are better at than the others.

It comes back to each of us and individuals to determine what tools works best for the way we like to shoot and capture the images. I have yet to find the "perfect" camera and probably never will.

The T needs some firmware updates and a bit of time to perfect the camera but as is, I am able to produce the work I need.

• Like 3

I have yet to find the "perfect" camera and probably never will.

This is so true

The thing you have to ask yourself is (i) do you enjoy using it; (ii) are you getting the results you want

Everything else is secondary.

Of course one wants a minimum of recent functionality that we feel we require but I feel sorry for people who chase spec. sheets and upgrade all the time. Unless that is the kick they are after.

For me its the photographs first with a worthy tool second.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 7

Hi Jono,

I wasn't meaning to be critical, and I hope you didn't read my post that way ...

Cheers

John

Hi John

No worries - I think you're right and I certainly didn't take it as criticism. I've actually been shooting with the T zoom rather a lot recently, and it's really pretty splendid. No idea how well the insides are built!

• Like 2

I'll just keep using it til it falls to bits.

My new puppy arrived yesterday - a Portuguese Water Dog (friends had one, and I've always been taken with the breed). I set up my T on a tripod aimed at her bed, and activated the iPhone App. Not surprisingly, her black on black coat completely defeated the auto focus ...

I'll just keep using it til it falls to bits.

My new puppy arrived yesterday - a Portuguese Water Dog (friends had one, and I've always been taken with the breed). I set up my T on a tripod aimed at her bed, and activated the iPhone App. Not surprisingly, her black on black coat completely defeated the auto focus ...

That looks wonderful - I hope it behaves better than our lovely Pyrenean sheepdog puppy (who, although charming and cuddly has been quite a serious mission!). Matty is actually 15 months now, and behaving rather like a 15 year old I'd say!

Joe seems to have disappeared. . .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Could you explain what issues you have with the T’s manufacturing quality? The only specific issue you mention regards the viewfinder, but since it is not like it would come off on its own I don’t share your fear of losing it.

Sorry my late to reply. The T has a lot of problems that, I explained in a previous post. And if you want more information about the problems with the Leica T, please scroll and read this Forum. My Leica T will be unused until an appropriate update be available, Meanwhile I'm using other APS mirrorless cameras that have little problems. Best Regards:)

My Leica T will be unused until an appropriate update be available, Meanwhile I'm using other APS mirrorless cameras that have little problems. Best Regards:)

Bizarre.

You could be waiting anything up to a year ....... and any firmware changes are likely to be minor and with little difference to the functionality and responsiveness ....... Leica cannot change the processing power in the camera ..... and they are not going to change their vision of how the camera works ......

The current M firmware release .... which finally addresses some significant functional issues rather than just bugs is 15 months after release........

Either use it as it is and learn to live with the things that irritate you ....... or sell it..... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Bizarre.

You could be waiting anything up to a year ....... and any firmware changes are likely to be minor and with little difference to the functionality and responsiveness ....... Leica cannot change the processing power in the camera ..... and they are not going to change their vision of how the camera works ......

The current M firmware release .... which finally addresses some significant functional issues rather than just bugs is 15 months after release........

Either use it as it is and learn to live with the things that irritate you ....... or sell it..... :rolleyes:

You are absolutely right. A suitable revision of firmware can accelerate the response of the camera and solve other problems; but no totally the lack of processor power. The example you put on the update of the Leica M is a sad reality, but problems with the Leica T are very serious and I hope that in the near Photokina, Leica have ready the upgrade. Finally there are the solutions that you indicate,.... or return the camera to Leica, for not only failing to meet the most basic features of a camera .produced in 2014, presenting also in some cases, serious quality control problems.;)

It's easy to rush in at the outset and buy the "first version" when in reality you're sort of acting as a guinea pig. I looked at the T with genuine interest when the hype about it launched and I'm glad I held back. It's almost being suggested as a disappointment by quite a few and Photokina I think will reveal for capable higher specced products that will out deliver I think. Maybe the gremlins can be quickly ironed out, but how all this was missed at r and d stage and beta testing is a mystery

... problems with the Leica T are very serious and I hope that in the near Photokina, Leica have ready the upgrade. Finally there are the solutions that you indicate,.... or return the camera to Leica, for not only failing to meet the most basic features of a camera .produced in 2014, presenting also in some cases, serious quality control problems.;)

I think I have a different camera to you. I'm enjoying mine immensely.

• Like 4