DNG Files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, got the T today and began to set it up, especially the file format. Don't know if I missed this anywhere, but it doesn't appear that you can set up just a DNG file without a JPEG file. I see JPEG + DNG fine and superfine but I don't see just DNG. I must be missing something, can anyone provide some insight, thanks.

Don't know if I missed this anywhere, but it doesn't appear that you can set up just a DNG file without a JPEG file.

Just like the X1, X2, and X Vario, the T doesn’t support saving just a DNG file. It is designed that way.

Just like the X1, X2, and X Vario, the T doesn’t support saving just a DNG file. It is designed that way.

I wonder to what end?

I appreciate the assumption (by Leica) that most owners of this camera will just use the JPegs (and they are very good), but why make it impossible to have DNG only? Surely if some want that option, there is no issue to Leica providing it?

The camera stores a high resolution JPEG image so you can zoom in in playback mode, without the camera having to create an image on the fly. This JPEG image could be embedded in the DNG file but obviously it is more versatile as an independent image file. (As a matter of fact I set all my cameras to save both raw and JPEG files.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How does the Monochrom produce a zoomable image with just DNG? Is the camera displaying the DNG, or is it making a JPEG, which it then dumps?

I think we've discussed this before. I actually don't really care about the JPEG. Storage isn't a problem ...

How does the Monochrom produce a zoomable image with just DNG? Is the camera displaying the DNG, or is it making a JPEG, which it then dumps?

It has to create a high resolution image on the fly (which is why it takes a couple of seconds). No camera could display a raw file; it either extracts an embedded JPEG preview or it develops the raw file on the fly.

• Like 1