Sign in to follow this  
chilihead

Stolen Leica Elmar 135mm f4 - 1893726

Advertisement (gone after registration)

About a month ago I bought the above 135 f4 Elmar (serial no. 1893726) on eBay. The seller - 123stiny - assured me that the lens was better than new, the lenses had been removed and ultra sonically cleaned, the old lubricant replaced by new and better. Incredibly, he sent it to me loosely wrapped in some old newspapers, in a cardboard box without the lens caps on, (that's right, the glass elements bare in the box) the Leica lens cap and rear cap nice and safe in a well wrapped little bag. Sure enough, the lens arrived and it was really nice- but now with a large DENT in the filter ring! Rough handling is the norm in the mail people! Pack accordingly!

Annoyed, I contacted the man whom the seller had indicated had done such fine work to the Elmar, Henry Sherrer of Suisin City Calif. to see if he could fix the dent. He assured me that he had never worked on the Elmar or any Elmar for that matter, but would fix it if he could. I sent it to him the next day. The lens never arrived. (Thanks again to Henry for all his valued help)

Tracking indicates that the lens made it only to the post office in Suisin City, and theire it got rerouted and two days later was delivered to an address in Hackensack New Jersey. It then vanished.

I would appreciate anyone seeing or finding this lens to contact me. I have tried everything else. Thanks all.

It sounds like it was lost by the postal service rather than stolen. Perhaps worth following up with them and claiming on their insurance (I assume you ship valuable items with sufficient insurance cover). I hope you track it down.

It is for this reason I NEVER ship any Leica product except maybe the occasional hood via USPS. They are government and we all know how bad government is.

It is for this reason I NEVER ship any Leica product except maybe the occasional hood via USPS. They are government and we all know how bad government is.

While won't help OP, Lou is 100% correct. We find FedEx much more reliable than UPS and never never send anything of value through U.S. Post Office.

Hope you can track the lens down; USPS does have a recovery process.

Good luck.

I feel for you. What kind of eBay rating did the seller have ?

He lied about the lens and shipped it with deficient packaging.

Roy

Very unfortunate, two events of bad luck in such a short time. I hope you can get information on the lens, if it was delivered to an address in another part of the country then the post office knows where it was and could at least try to get it back.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is never lost in postal services!

Need patience to track it down and little amount of follow up.

You may need to find the delievery post office, delievery date and delievered to whom. They keep records.

Otherwise see if you have insurance covered and the amount of claim is equal to the lens price than you can still live with lost lens.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By farnz
      Thank you to everyone who took part in last month's 136th Barnack's Monthly theme, which was filled with more than 1,350 pictures, excellent ideas and interpretations of the theme.  Also, thank you to everyone who helped to make it another successful month by generously posting their pictures and in particular to those people who posted for the first time - I hope you found it an interesting and rewarding experience and I hope it encourages you to share more of your pictures with us!  
      The Barnack's Monthly theme for February 2020 is: Something silver.
      This month's theme is any pictures containing something silver or that has the word "silver" in it.
      It could be silverfish, a silver fish, a silver salver, The Lone Ranger's horse, a silversmith, a Silver Surfer statuette, a silver-haired lady, 29 pieces of silver, the entrance to a silver mine, a silver balloon, silver-plated cutlery, Quicksilver (Mercury), a silver bangle, silver earrings, silver shoes, Silverstone race track, a silver sea, Phil Silvers, Silver Canyon, silver tinsel, a silver spoon, Silver Spoon sugar, a silver trophy, a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, Sterling Silver, a silver medal, Silver Island, silver moonlight, a chromium-plated thing, a silver M3, an Airstream caravan, silver solder, a silver chalice, a silver clutch purse, silver cogwheels, a silver high-rise building, a silver dome on a cathedral, a silver smartphone, a silver statue, a silver studio umbrella - it's entirely your choice so let your imagination run free!  
      It would be a help if you give your picture a title so to help us understand your point of view. Members have asked if we'd very kindly name the camera and lens used - if you can remember - because it's interesting to know but, again, it's just helpful.
      The rules are deliberately loose so go out and shoot with this month's theme in mind or start searching back through those pictures you took oh-so long ago that you'd forgotten about and start posting! It doesn't have to be your best ever shot and it's not a competition so you might surprise the rest of us and yourself - it's just about sharing some pictures, seeing others' take on the topic, and enjoying it!

Everybody's welcome to contribute, any interpretation, any number of posts, pictures that have been posted on the forum before, any equipment as long as it and the photo complies with the forum's rules of either camera or lens or both made by Leica. Please post freely - especially newcomers and please remember there's no judging or criticism (good or bad) in this thread. So, if you'd like to show your acknowledgement or appreciation that someone has posted their picture then instead of posting a comment please use the "Thanks" button that you can find at the bottom right of every post.

Please post away and I look forward to seeing your interesting interpretations of this month's theme.
      Note: Moderator Pop has very kindly assembled links to all of the past Barnack's Monthly threads as a single archive that can be found here: Barnack's Monthly Index.  Thank you, Pop!   Pete.
    • By nwphil
      Not sure if I am the second or third owner, but the camera is well taken care and in good functioning shape.
      No coffee stain or visible scratches on the lcd. 
      RF mechanism is accurate, and has firmware updated to latest available version.

Included:
      1 used black Leica concave soft shutter button
      2 used oem Leica batteries (holding full charge)
      1 used oem leica charger
      2 used non-oem batteries
      1 used non-oem charger
      1 used unbranded L bracket with grip
      1 used black thumb up for M8/M9 (not yet in pic)

PayPal included - $1300.00

Buyer pays for shipping and insurance
      If you want sample shots or need more item pictures, please pm me - I can either send to your email or a google drive link via pm
      Shutter reads now 19,675 - might end with a few more soon.

Been debating about trading or selling for quite some time. Truth is, I don't use it enough and it's a shame, as either color, b&W or IR( look-a-like with filter) frames are just gorgeous - I even like the shutter sound, go figure.

Will ship to anywhere, but buyer is responsible for additional cost and due diligence.
      with customs as needed (and beware of battery restrictions please)
      I will pack the item very carefully with plenty of bubble wrap, so all will be very secure and protected - expect a slight larger box, 
      As much as possible, I will ship within 48 hours or faster, upon receiving payment. Unless there is bigger issues, like roads closed, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions.Will consider reasonable offers
      I have feedack on EBay and Fred Miranda  'Bacalhau'
      Thanks for looking
      Phillip

PS:lens and hand strap shown are just for showcase purposes - not included
      note: answering question about raw format and key pad sequence - please follow link
      http://m8raw2dng.de
      UPDATE:
      Camera still available, bue to backout

• By kgs
      Ich verkaufe hier meine Leica M240, silbern verchromt, incl. Zubehör.
      Ich kaufte die Kamera 2013 im Leica Store Solms und benutzte sie nicht so oft, (Canon SLR-System und andere Leica Kameras auch vorhanden).
      Die Kamera ist in einem Zustand "wie neu", ohne sichtbare Gebrauchsspuren, das Zubehör auch.
      Lieferumfang: Kamera M240 im original Karton mit allen zum werksmäßigen Lieferumfang gehörenden Teilen und Papiere.
      Zusätzlich: 2. Akku, Leica EVF2 (elektronischer Viewfinder), Leicatime Tasche mit Gurt und Fach für 2. Akku u. SD-Karten (Luigi Case), SD-Karte Lexar 16 GB, 600x Speed. Alle Teile aus einem tierlosen- und Nichtraucher Haushalt.
      Versand außerhalb der Europ. Union auf Anfrage. Eventuelle Zölle o.ä. muß der Käufer tragen. Für zusätzliche Fragen stehe ich gerne und kurzfristig zur Verfügung.
      Dies ist ein privater Verkauf, deshalb keine Garantie und keine Rücknahme   I sell my Leica M240, silver chrome plated, incl. Accessories.
      I purchased the camera in 2013 at the Leica Store Solms and did not use them often (Canon SLR system and other Leica cameras also at hand). The camera is in a state "like new", without visible signs of wear, the accessories too.
      Scope of delivery: Camera M240 in the original box with all parts and papers belonging to the factory delivery.
      In addition: 2nd battery, Leica EVF2 (electronic viewfinder), Leicatime bag with strap and compartment for 2nd battery & SD Cards (Luigi Case), SD-card Lexar 16 GB, 600x speed. All parts from a animal-free and non-smoking household.
      Shipping outside the Europ. Union on request. Possible custom duties or similar the buyer has to pay.
      For additional questions I am happy and available at short notice. This is a private sale, therefore no guarantee and no return
    • By aCIDfire
      Hi quys, sorry for off topic, .. on 11th March part of my photo equipment was stolen in Czech Republic /city Neratovice/,.. caused by my stupidity.. we where hurry to put children in the car seats going on family celebration and we were late, car was allready full of other items and the photo bag stayed on the ground by the rear wheel of the car ,.. please take a look at those If you are looking for some of these to buy in near future please look at those serial numbers. If you find it somewhere for sale please let me know (e-mail: dvorskym@centrum.cz). THANK YOU. Mark 

-body - Sony A7r II (ILCE-7RM2) - serial number: 5091094

lenses:
      Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8 - serial number: 51633451
      VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 35/1.2 II aspherical - serial number: 8330009 /incl. lens hood/
      TechartPro adapter
      Canon EF 85/1.2 L II USM - serial number: 45360
      Canon EF 135/2 L USM - serial number: 124800
      Metabones IV T adapter
      Sony Zeiss Sonnar FE 55/1,8 ZA - serial number: 45715887
      Sony FE 28/2 (SEL28F20) .. unfortunatelly don´t have a serial number
      Asahi Makro-Takumar preset 50/4 1:1 ... serial number: 3397467 
      Leica Summarit-M 75/2.4 - serial number: 4309530
      VOIGTLÄNDER Close focus adapter Sony E (Nex) <-> Leica M) - serial number: 08412298

I wrote to Leica in Germany to list the Summarit with this SN on a "black"list.

• By Totorr
      Hi there, 

I send you this mesage beacause I have been burglarized, in France, Paris.

-Leica M9P (black) the serial number is   04 321 492
      -Leica M2 (black paint not original) the serial number is   1 112 375
      -Leica M2 (grey) the serial number is 993 944
      -Leica Summilux 50mm ASPH number is   4 187 306

If you see something, just send me a message here or in MP,
      Thanks a lot...

Victor.