Does anyone have this EVF problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I decided to keep the EVF attached to my Leica T, even though I don't use it consistently due to the lag time for it to kick in.

Haha, it's not just a lag that I am experiencing. It appears that when I first power on the camera (after it's been off for a while) it doesn't seem to auto sense the attached EVF when I bring it up to my eye. I can put it up to my eye until the cows come home and nothing happens, once it's been powered off for a while. If I turn it off, the on again, it will work fine.

Talk about separating the photographer from his subject...

I reset the camera a bunch of times and I still consistently experience this problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Good God! Even if this is just my camera, somehow I expected better, and more from a $6,000+ system coming from a high end brand.

I had zero problems with my X Vario, which set my expectations extremely high for this camera.

I'll be visiting my Leica dealer tomorrow, and would love to know if this is an isolated problem with my particular camera.

Many thanks for your invaluable assistance.

I'm sure you've tried it already.... make certain that the EVF is fully engaged with the hotshoe. Didn't experience the problem you had, but ran into a problem where the EVF was just a white display. Thought something was wrong. Ended up that the EVF moved just slightly rearward. Pushing the EVF flush solved the problem.

Don't know about you, but the lag in switch over from LCD to EVF is becoming an annoyance

Thanks for all your input. Yes, I reseated and removed/reinstalled the EVF, and reset the camera a bunch of times with the same result. Of course, when I went to the Leica Dealer today, it didn't act up.

If you think the EVF lag is an annoyance, imaging powering on your camera (& waiting ~4 seconds), bringing the camera to your eye, waiting for the EVF, and then realizing you need to turn camera off, then on (~4 second startup again) just to use the EVF. Major annoyance.

I will be bringing it in to Leica in NJ. I wonder how long it will take for a repair?

I have upcoming events planned where I was hoping to use the camera however. I wish they would just swap it for another or give a loaner (which I doubt). Too bad I sold my X Vario. While the "EVF on" button wasn't always "sticky", at least it didn't require a 4 second power cycle to activate.

Hey, doesn't Audio provide a loaner car? Maybe. Leica should follow suit since they are a luxury brand also (and a $6k+ camera should have better quality assurance).

Good luck DGP! Since you are lucky to be able to take it directly to the folks at Leica NJ, who knows, perhaps they will be able to accommodate you with a loaner. Please keep all of us updated.... also perhaps ask them about a firmware upgrade that will fix the lag issues.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I spoke with Leica in NJ and they couldn't have been nicer! OUTSTANDING customer service!

They don't repair, but rather swap out defective products with new ones. I found them to be responsive and understanding. I just need to wait until later this month for their next shipment to arrive.

It is very true what they say, that you get what you pay for. It is apparent that Leica owners receive first class customer service. This makes being an "early adopter" of their new products worry free.

I did ask about timing of their next firmware update for the T, but they weren't aware of when it would be.

They did say we should expect their next lenses, the zoom's, to be generally available without delay, when they are released in September (unlike some M lenses with limited production). This is great news as I can't wait for their longer zoom.

• 1 month later...

I returned the Visoflex today, it was still within the 14 day return period.

Although the visoflex is bright and clear and has gps, it was too slow

for my purpose , if the upcoming firmware improves the delay sufficiently, I will

buy it again.

The actual measured lag time from switch on to bringing camera to eye, EVF actuating, AF focussing and taking shot is 3 seconds give or take a a couple of 100'ths.

From standby it is 2.7 seconds on average.

Lag time for the EVF to actuate when brought to the eye is 1.5 seconds.

AF is quite snappy.

Unfortunately these things seem to happen sequentially so the time lag extends .......

Of course all this seems like an eternity when you are in a hurry ....:rolleyes:

EVF actuation should be instant ...... and I cannot see any practical reason why there is such a significant delay.

All digital Leica's seem to have slow start-up times ....... they must have some inherent diagnostic/checking routine that is far more long winded then the competition....... it has been endlessly moaned about for years but seems stubbornly unimproved ....