Manual Focus with the Leica T . . . an article

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am new to the T system and have been enjoying it for some time but I am a little puzzled about the manual focusing (with the original T lenses). I have the manual focus assist turned on in the menu but I cannot activate manual focusing - neither by turning the ring in the camera nor by trying to zoom on the screen.

Am I ignoring a setting of some kind or is there something wrong with the hardware of my T?

Hi all, I am new to the T system and have been enjoying it for some time but I am a little puzzled about the manual focusing (with the original T lenses). I have the manual focus assist turned on in the menu but I cannot activate manual focusing - neither by turning the ring in the camera nor by trying to zoom on the screen.

Am I ignoring a setting of some kind or is there something wrong with the hardware of my T?

Hi There

there is an icon in the menu that toggles MF/AF on and off - that should be you're way.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

NOW I got it to work :-) at least with the autofocus T lenses.

How would the magnification work then with M lenses attached through adapter? With the T lenses the camera knows when I turn the focusing ring and then it zooms. How does the camera know when a mechanical M lenses is being focused?

• 2 months later...
NOW I got it to work :-) at least with the autofocus T lenses.

How would the magnification work then with M lenses attached through adapter? With the T lenses the camera knows when I turn the focusing ring and then it zooms. How does the camera know when a mechanical M lenses is being focused?

I have this same question.

I'm seriously considering picking up a T to use with my Cron 35/2 ASPH on the Leica T adapter. Does the camera sense when an M lens focus ring is being turned and allow for automatic zooming? I wouldn't want to dedicate my left dial to zoom.

IMO the ideal would be allowing the video button to zoom...

By now I have long figured it out :-)

The camera unfortunately cannot recognize when an M manual lens is turned but it knows when the adapter is on so it will automatically assign the image zoom to the left dial so you can zoom in and out for focusing. Works perfectly and the zoom is sufficient for perfect focusing with the 50 Summilux. Wider lenses may be more problematic.

• Like 1

Lovely review, Jono - pretty much matches my experience exactly.

I've had two Sonys with focus peaking (NEX-5n and A7r), in each case I had a native lens (so I could use AF and all the other functions that those cameras offered) and an M adapter. I was less than happy with the results with the M lenses - they were okay, but lacked something. I gave the NEX to my son (he's kitesurfing in Brazil, and seems to be making good use of the camera), and I sold the A7r.

Focus peaking looked good, and I liked the way you could watch the yellow shimmer move back and forth, and thicken and widen, but the results were less than what I wanted, and certainly way less than nailing the focus with my M9P. If they can sort this, I still think it's the best solution as it seems to be the only one which enables the possibility of accurate focus across the frame, taking into account focus shift and a moving plane of best focus. But it's not there yet.

So, to the T (along with the Monochrom, I still blame you for this purchase, but happily so:)). The mid-range zoom is adequate, and useful. I took some pleasing images at the beach the other day - the AF is slow and takes a bit of practice, particularly with the lag in the EVF and the way the image freezes. It was disconcerting at first, but with practice I got it to work well enough. Maybe it will improve with firmware upgrades, but I suspect it's a limitation inherent in the processor.

For M lenses, though it is a different thing altogether. I have a far higher hit rate with M lenses than the AF zoom, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. I disregarded the zoom focus fairly early on when I realised that it only zoomed in the centre of the frame (it would be so much better if it zoomed a selectable spot, like with the touch focus option). But using the EVF and manual focus M lenses, nailing the focus is not hard at all.

I am attending my niece's wedding next month in Wanaka, and I will be taking the T with the 21 Summilux and either the Noct or 75 Summilux - this will give me the effective focal lengths of 32mm and either 76.5mm or 115mm, which should be sufficient. I'm just a guest, so I'm hoping to get some nice candid shots, which I will then print (either Apple Book or Blurb) and give to them as a memento - assuming the images are worth it.

Sure, the T has flaws, but I'm living with them, and its advantages are sufficiently compelling that the camera has a permanent place in my bag. Unlike the Sonys I've tried, this is the best small mirrorless camera to use with M lenses - very good sensor, very good menu options and controls and ergonomics. It is also a very fine companion for my M cameras - it's a keeper.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

By now I have long figured it out :-)

The camera unfortunately cannot recognize when an M manual lens is turned but it knows when the adapter is on so it will automatically assign the image zoom to the left dial so you can zoom in and out for focusing. Works perfectly and the zoom is sufficient for perfect focusing with the 50 Summilux. Wider lenses may be more problematic.

Thank you!

When using aperture priority and the M adapter what function does the right dial have - exposure compensation? I also assume in manual exposure mode using the M adapter the right dial changes to shutter speed and the left is image zoom.

If it's as I described above, I think I can work with a T. I'm one of the three people in the world that doesn't care for focus peaking; I have it turned off on my NEX7, I use the zoomed image to focus. And to be honest only having the center point magnified is no problem for me - last I checked my M6 focus patch doesn't move, either. ;)

I desperately need to find a T to try with my Cron - so many of my questions could be answered with fifteen minutes of experimentation.

Thank you!

When using aperture priority and the M adapter what function does the right dial have - exposure compensation? I also assume in manual exposure mode using the M adapter the right dial changes to shutter speed and the left is image zoom.

With the adapter and an M lens, set to Aperture Priority, the left hand dial is focus magnification and the right hand dial is ISO; in Manual (the only other option available with a manual lens), the left remains focus magnification and the right isShutter speed.

You can (of course, change those settings) - I often set mine to EV.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

With the adapter and an M lens, set to Aperture Priority, the left hand dial is focus magnification and the right hand dial is ISO; in Manual (the only other option available with a manual lens), the left remains focus magnification and the right isShutter speed.

Cheers

John

I would really like to be able to Change both wheels so that one could have magnification on one wheel and exp comp on the other. I hope this will be fixed by a firmaware update one day.

Cheers

John

I thought the right dial couldn't be changed? If it's stuck on ISO in aperture priority, it wouldn't work for me.

That is correct. With the adapter on, in Aperture Priority, the right hand dial sets ISO and in Manual, it sets the shutter. You can only assign the left dial with this Firmware release.

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to change those, unless you want the shutter on the left (for manual), and in Aperture Priority, I want the direct ISO control.

• Like 1

Well, I'm pleased to have helped.

As a matter of interest, in Aperture Priority, why wouldn't you want ISO on the dial? Aperture is set on the lens, shutter speed by definition set by the camera. What would you want to use the dials for? I would have thought you'd want ISO control as the last variable ...

• Like 2

Well, I'm pleased to have helped.

As a matter of interest, in Aperture Priority, why wouldn't you want ISO on the dial? Aperture is set on the lens, shutter speed by definition set by the camera. What would you want to use the dials for? I would have thought you'd want ISO control as the last variable ...

ISO is not something I change on the fly.

I was hoping I could put exposure comp on the right dial and image zoom on the left - this would give me a very fluid method of shooting. Having the EC on the far right side works very well for me with both my NEX7 and X100s because it falls under my thumb and allows for instantaneous exposure correction.

The dial configuration in manual is perfect for me (zoom left, shutter speed right), but I find myself shooting in aperture priority most of the time these days. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I guess I would find focus zoom more useful if I could move the patch and it wasn't so fiddly. The fact that the M cameras have a central focusing patch doesn't make it a good thing. I love the movable patch using the AF lens. The most annoying feature of the zoom focus is that if you're framing a shot with the EVF a to your eye, you need to take the camera away from your face to select 3 or 6 times magnification.

I came to the same conclusion as Jono.

• Like 1