CE junk 'printed' on T?

• 4 weeks later...
Yuck.

CE, letters indicate that the product is manufactured in one or several countries belonging to the European Economic Community (EEC) or manufactured in compliance with its rules. As the body of the Leica T is polished in Portugal. Leica should not put on it the Made in Germany, only Made in EEC. IMO

• 1 month later...
CE, letters indicate that the product is manufactured in one or several countries belonging to the European Economic Community (EEC) or manufactured in compliance with its rules. As the body of the Leica T is polished in Portugal. Leica should not put on it the Made in Germany, only Made in EEC. IMO

CE means that a product is designed (and fulfils) /is in conformity (if this word exists in english) with those European rules. I dont even know if this means that the product has to be manufacture in Europe (I dont think it has to)

There is also a rule/definition for " Made in Germany" label - and it just means that a certain percentage at the end of the production/assembly process has to be done in Germany.

Compliant with EC directives, that is all it means, the best well known one for those of us making and designing electronic equipment being the Low Voltage Directive. Its a mine field of a system because the directives are met by conformance with a standard such as EN 60950 which may or may not be tested, may or may not be tested independently (such as by TuV) and may even just be self certified by the importer/manufacturer based on analysis of other work. The worst case is the importers many of whom I don't think fully understand that they are responsible for ensuring that the products they bring into the EU are compliant with the directives. I am more than a bit cynical of this whole system as it seems more a case of just putting a label on something than rigorously applying a definitive standard. For a company such as Leica I am sure they go much further than many others would in fully applying all the applicable standards, this adds significant time and cost to those designers/manufacturers that care about providing a quality product which is good but not good when the system allows utter junk into the EU that just has a label stuck on it.

Sorry for the OT semi-rant but application of rigorous standards is really important to protect you the end consumer from dangerous equipment.

For completeness, official guidance on CE marking is given here and it is all self-certification. Each EU member state nominates its own CE enforcement bodies and in the UK it is Trading Standards and the Health and Safety Executive among others.

As far as I can tell the only reason for the T to be CE marked is that its CPU will undoubtedly emit radio frequency signals of a certain strength that could upset other electronic equipment near to it. It would therefore need to comply with the EU Directive on Electromagnetic Compatibility: 2004/108/EC.

Pete.

....There is also a rule/definition for " Made in Germany" label - and it just means that a certain percentage at the end of the production/assembly process has to be done in Germany.

A few years ago I'd say this is just sloppy labeling, but nowdays I'd just say they're cheating. We used to read about student cheating scandals in various schools, then more serious cheating in military or police academies, now even the most trusted corporations are bending the trust as far as they can. So it's legal -- lots of bad practices are legal.

What's cheating about that?

I guess then that we're not expecting corporations to have any level of integrity or trust with their customers. And what is a customer anyway but a nuisance? "Just give us the money and don't worry where it's made".

As far as I can tell the only reason for the T to be CE marked is that its CPU will undoubtedly emit radio frequency signals of a certain strength that could upset other electronic equipment near to it. It would therefore need to comply with the EU Directive on Electromagnetic Compatibility: 2004/108/EC.

Would not the WiFi in the camera require that declaration as well?

• Like 1

One of the many writings surely is related to WiFi ruling... in the linked pic, I suppose is the one at right with a typical "antenna" symbol, under the EAC marking (required for sale in Russia and some other near Country)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

There is a plethora of EU regulations to be observed by vendors and thus a lot of product groups requiring a CE marking if they are to be sold within the European Economic Area. See New Approach - Directives & Standards. This is not specific to devices emitting radio waves. For example, all toys must have a CE marking.

"Just give us the money and don't worry where it's made".

Are you suggesting that the camera is not made in Germany?

Either completely, or in accordance with the rules that govern the ability of a company to claim that a product is made in a particular country?

Are you suggesting that the camera is not made in Germany? Either completely, or in accordance with the rules that govern the ability of a company to claim that a product is made in a particular country?

I don't think we need to confuse people, i.e. potential customers. I saw the 45-minute video, and I read the advance reviews in several places. All implications** were that this 45-minute finishing was in Germany, since that's a major part of the very basic preparation of the camera body.

**To understand the weight of implication, refer to most any book on logic. Even when things aren't stated (for legal or technical purposes etc.), if the implication is strong enough, we can expect the customer to make the appropriate assumption.

I ran this past a number of people I know, explaining the camera concept, showing them part of the finishing video, showing them the Made in Germany script, then telling them at the end that the hand finishing of the body was not done in Germany. They all agreed that it was deceptive.

Edit: I base this on what Joe Lazio posted. If it's incorrect, then I withdraw my objections.

Edited by badbob

But you'll keep buying it anyway !

You misunderstood what I said. I don't have much of a problem with Leica outsourcing certain tasks, but I do have a problem with people trying to defend the deception. I don't think it needs defending, unless the defender works for Leica.

The Leica T camera has enough work done to it, IN GERMANY, to allow Leica to LEGALLY claim that it is "Made in Germany".

Some of it might be made in Portugal, as the M cameras and S cameras are, but both of those have enough "added value" added, in Germany, to allow Leica to state, legally, that the cameras are made in Germany.

Components of all these cameras are made outside of Germany, but that doesn't stop them being Made in Germany.

What does it say on the lenses for the T? I don't know, because I don't own one, but I am willing to bet that it says "Leica Camera: Germany"

I don't work for Leica.

• Like 1

That is completely wrong.

Links have been provided to what CE really means already.

The letters ‘CE’ appear on many products that are traded on the single market in the

The CE marking is required for many products and it:

• shows that the manufacturer has checked that these products meet EU safety, health or environmental requirements

• is a key indicator of a product’s compliance with EU legislation

• allows the free movement of products within the European market

By placing the CE marking on a product a manufacturer is declaring, on his sole responsibility, conformity with all of the legal requirements to achieve CE marking. The manufacturer is thus ensuring validity for that product to be sold throughout the EEA. This also applies to products made in third countries which are sold in the EEA and Turkey.