My Summicron-M 35mm V4 doesn´t have a serial number?

RSilva

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I want to sell my Summicron 35 "bokeh monster" and the buyer asked me for the serial number. The problem is that I cannot find a serial anywhere.

The lens ring only says "Leitz lens made in Canada Summicron-M 1:2/35" and I have seen other lens like this and they do have a serial so what is wrong here?

It is not on the front where it usually but on the diapragm ring (where you set the f stops)

Thank you.

Can anybody explain the reason why they changed the location of the serial? I mean, it's odd.

Guest Ansel_Adams
Thank you.

Can anybody explain the reason why they changed the location of the serial? I mean, it's odd.

Apparently it improves the bokeh...

• Like 9

There was not room for it on the front, with all of that "Leitz lens made in Canada Summicron-M 1:2/35" engraving.

Once the front engraving was reduced to "LEICA Summicron-M 1:2/35" - then there was room to move the serial number to the front ring. ("Lens made in Canada/Germany" was moved to the underside, opposite the Depth of Field scale.)

Some 90mm Tele-Elmarits of the same era had the same problem for the same reason - with the same solution (SN on the aperture ring).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you.

The main reason I think is correctly identified by Andy (space for a long writing) ... but clearly some designer thought it was a good idea to move the s/n to the side... and they did it also on lenses in which there wasn't problem of space, given their long front ring (Summicron 90, Summilux 75)