Hanoi viewed through Leica M

kiemchacsu

I continue to post the photos about the old residential neighbourhoods in Hanoi, which was started in Post 11

13593761093_2cde2ebe25_z.jpg'1403_M2-35f2IV_Van-Chuong_superia_06 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

13593762593_0f53a49bab_z.jpg'1403_M2-35f2IV_Van-Chuong_superia_18 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

13593730865_539e3e1433_z.jpg'1403_M2-35f2IV_Van-Chuong_superia_29 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

13593717775_d4272fa614.jpg'1403_M2-35f2IV_Van-Chuong_superia_28 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hello all,

I've been here in this forum for a while but mostly as a viewer. This is my first thread here and I'd like to introduce to you guys about Hanoi, the city where I'm living. I know that it's impossible to depict a city only by a single person. Anyway, I will try to post and give captions; hope that people could have some information about Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. If anybody of you has visited and want to share, feel free to post photos.

Here we go,

1. This is a warehouse where people collect things to be recycled, includes steel, aluminum, brass... from those women. They go through streets to buy scrap from each household. In Vietnam, we still do not have different trash bins to separate the waste from beginning.

14112615234_23ba66f219_c.jpg

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 07 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

2. The woman on the left was making fried eggs for the other old ladies. People in Hanoi like to have food right on the street.

14089093326_7316547791_c.jpg

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 06 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

3. Again, drinking draft beer on street.

14132313563_ccee20278f_c.jpg

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 03 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

4. A small kiosk to sell cigarettes, beverage, tea...

14089096126_26c42c5d63_c.jpg

1404 M2_35F2 Hanoi 11 by kiemchacsu, on Flickr

Welcome to forum

very nice images , i think vietnam is very photogenic place , right?

anyway did you use some particular post processing in color photos (i.e. the first one has a vintage look with some green cast, i like this effect)

• Like 1

Welcome to forum

very nice images , i think vietnam is very photogenic place , right?

anyway did you use some particular post processing in color photos (i.e. the first one has a vintage look with some green cast, i like this effect)

yes i do think vietnam is a really good place for taking photos, i knew that may folks from western countries come here and impressed with landscape and people here.

for color photos, i just use level/curve control (if any) to adjust contrast a little bit. though, i got films scanned by lab and may be they already tweaked the photos

• 10 months later...

Hello, I have something new to show you.

Last month, I had a chance to visit Hue, the old capital of Vietnam.
I went to Bao Vinh commune, small village located in the North of the city. 
The village is located along the Perfume River (Huong river), used to be a very busy trading port back to XVII century.
Nowaday, people still use boat to reach the other bank rather than using several bridges but the closest one is about 5 kilometers, instead of 5 minutes if traveling by boat. 
I guess that is the reason why people still prefer this kind of transportation. 
I followed them on a round trip to take these quick snaps.
Enjoy!

• Like 4

Hi Trung,

Great series I very much appreciate , specially street photos taken with your M3 - M2

and film

During my last mission in SE Asia,  I shot a lot in Vietnam and Laos.

Pictures are in the film thread in example here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-207

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-189

and welcome in this film thread if you wish to post your pictures

Best

Henry

I have family in HN

Edited by Doc Henry

Hi Henry, 

Thanks for stopping by.

I'd love to share some photos to the gigantic thread you initiated. Besides photos of Hanoi that I will post here, many others were photographed in other places that I think would be suitable in other thread. 

Next time if you drop by HN, we could have a cafe and talk.

Cheers.

Trung 

Hi Trung,

Great series I very much appreciate , specially street photos taken with your M3 - M2

and film

During my last mission in SE Asia,  I shot a lot in Vietnam and Laos.

Pictures are in the film thread in example here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-207

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-189

and welcome in this film thread if you wish to post your pictures

Best

Henry

I have family in HN

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

This is one the most interesting threads we had in the last time. It is an excellent reportage about a true world beyond the touistic level.Your series is an excellent sample of telling a fascinating story about getting into touch with a distant world.

Keep going, we are waiting for more good stuff!

• Like 1

Hi Henry, 

Thanks for stopping by.

I'd love to share some photos to the gigantic thread you initiated. Besides photos of Hanoi that I will post here, many others were photographed in other places that I think would be suitable in other thread. 

Next time if you drop by HN, we could have a cafe and talk.

Cheers.

Trung 

Hi Trung,

During my last visit in 2014, I have difficulty finding film in Hanoi. Apparently people are no longer interested only in digital.

It seems that Vietnamese do not like film  as you and it's very unfortunate. I have digital photos of Hanoi (M8 and M9) but I prefer the same in film, more faithful color IMHO

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Thanks Carlos,

I'm among the young generations of Vietnamese who were born after the war. I also always want to know what the Westerners think about that war, though nowadays the war obsession is quite fade for us, the young group IMHO

Lovely images, Trung.  Thank you for posting.  I visited Hanoi for the Tet holiday in 1992 (I was living in Hong Kong then) - I came with my mountain bike and Hasselblad, in a backpack (sadly, can't post the images here).  I think I was there for a week; I explored Hanoi by bicycle, traveled up the Perfume River, and out to Ha Long Bay.

It was an interesting trip for me.  My country participated in the Vietnam War, and Uncle Ho was viewed as a dangerous man, much like Mao Zedong.  I was a child during the 1960s, and life was punctuated with the famous photojournalist images of the war, and it was the first time war images were brought into our homes through television.  My generation was generally very anti-war - protest songs and the growth of a youth culture rebelling against the conservatism of those who had fought in World War 2 was the background of my formative years.

Visiting Hanoi was very interesting 23 years ago - very few cars, lots of bicycles and small motorbikes.  I attracted a lot of attention on my mountain bike - it was very cold, so I was wearing a helmet, gloves, lycra and a warm jacket.  I don't think the locals had seen anything like it.  I'd usually attract a crowd when I stopped to take a picture (take a light reading, take a few images - it all took time with a 503cx).  Usually some child would throw a firecracker at me, to the amusement of all!

Apart from the rather beautiful, if rather decayed, French colonial buildings, I was struck by the genuine friendliness of the people of the North.  None of the glib and insincere friendliness (with American accented English) you get in many parts of SE Asia.  I met a very nice guy at Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum (Vietnamese now living in California).  We got to talking, we had dinner with his former-NVA cousins (they had walked the Ho Chi Minh trail and had fought in the South during the war).  They were very kind - I joined them for a family trip down to Ha Long Bay, complete with a boat trip.  They wouldn't let me pay for a thing.

I have often wondered what has happened to those lovely, quiet, generous people.  Vietnam was just opening up to trade with the West in those days.  Sitting in the bar of the Sofitel (the only comfortable hotel at that time), there were lots of very strange deals going on, in hushed American accents.

Thank you for sharing your images, and please keep doing so.  If I can find the time to scan my negatives from my trip, I will post a link to Flickr here.

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Thanks Iduna,

What you said was also my purpose when posting these photos here. 

I'd like to introduce Hanoi, Vietnam in current moment though it certainly will be biased due to the way I see Hanoi. 

Back to the time when I was in Europe, I found out that many folks there were still not sure whether Vietnam was out of war or not. 

More photos to come, for sure.

Welcome to the forum!

This is one the most interesting threads we had in the last time. It is an excellent reportage about a true world beyond the touistic level.Your series is an excellent sample of telling a fascinating story about getting into touch with a distant world.

Keep going, we are waiting for more good stuff!