Is there Anywhere in the World Actually Receiving Ts and Accessories?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After nearly a month since its official ship date it seems almost no one is actually receiving Ts. The first very small shipment was pretty much it. While one might expect the bodies to be slow in coming, given that the lenses are made in Japan and the Leica probably does not make the accessories one would think that those items would be plentiful. It seems no part of the camera or system is available anywhere. This camera is not as complex to manufacture as an M and they have a new plant so one would expect them to be in high production.

Anyone seeing them available anywhere? How many are still waiting?

I really suspect Leica did a very small first production run and waited until they see the real demand for the camera and the accessories.

Maybe they wanted to avoid to build up a pretty big inventory pre-launch and then have no demand...

And now they maybe ordered a bigger production run which needs it time to produce and ship.

I ordered a T pre launch, assuming I'd pick up an adapter (T to M) when the camera came in. Got the body... but there were no adapters. Had the body for 2 weeks and decided to pick up the zoom - was planning on only using my old M lenses, but don't know when that'll be possible. Heading off on vacation in 2 weeks, and I'd like to take the T... but I may just go with the M kit.

Would REALLY like an adapter.

Been out of the UK for a couple of weeks, but before I left the Mayfair store plus a couple of London dealers contacted me saying that if I still wanted it they'd received the T plus most everything to go with. Too late, I had to tell them I've bought the M instead.

UK dealers that I know seem to have plenty of stock of silver bodies and other T stuff (or maybe they did?). As far as I know, the black body hasn't yet made an appearance.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

In Montreal Canada, the T's are not expected till mid July. There was an initial shipment of a very few cameras in May and since then nada and no information from the Leica rep about when they will be coming in.

Here in the Netherlands some cameras have been delivered. Recieved Camera and Sumicron and Visoflex 2 weeks ago, but not the adapter which was mine main reason for buying the camera,to use the Leica lenses I have at present( M8).

According to Leica Netherland will be delivered in 3 weeks time.

Harry

Edited by henricus1934
spelling mistake

Seems to be lots of bits in the UK.

My T with dodgy dial behaviour is being replaced/collected on thursday by my dealer .....

Red Dot had plenty of lenses and the T/M adapter plus other things when I contacted them a few weeks ago.

I am still waiting for a battery and wrist strap + T snap ..... otherwise I have everything I need ...... :D

(I have T (+ replacement soon), visoflex, adapter, both lenses, case, holster...)

Here in the US, I have only seen the following items available sporadically on Amazon via third party sellers: Silver battery, Leather holster, Visoflex & M adapter. I have not seen lenses, bodies,wrist straps, neck straps, T-Snap cases or aluminum holster available anywhere from any seller here. It does seem the UK has received more than anyone else but still not everything.

If the theory proposed above that Leica was waiting to see how orders went is correct, then one would have expected a burst of production if the 20K orders some have stated is true. I only heard of 200 orders in the US from the Leica distributor in NJ. If the number specified by the distributor for the US is accurate, then I could see Leica waiting for more orders before committing to a large manufacturing run.

While I haven't had the 23mm f2 lens to try, I do think Leica may have over priced these two lenses relative to their performance. The only review of the lenses with measure I have seen is the Photoreview.com review. Neither lens out performed far lower priced APS-C lenses like the Fujinon 16-50mm zoom, or Fujinon 23mm f1.4 for example. In the case of the Leica T zoom, it is very sharp but has uncorrectable CA in the DNG files and the distortion appears to me to be quite high prior to correction. I have tried correcting CA in both LR and ID and neither seems to be able to completely remove it. Not what one expects in a $1800 lens. The lens in the XV is clearly a superior lens with regard to CA.

Here in the Netherlands some cameras have been delivered. Recieved Camera and Sumicron and Visoflex 2 weeks ago, but not the adapter which was mine main reason for buying the camera,to use the Leica lenses I have at present( M8).

According to Leica Netherland will be delivered in 3 weeks time.

Harry

Cameranu and Kamera Expeess in the Netherlands both have the adapter in stock, and have done for some weeks.

• Like 2

If this review : http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/343-Leica-T-(Typ-701)-Review has it right, the lenses are underpriced if anything.

Here in the US, I have only seen the following items available sporadically on Amazon via third party sellers: Silver battery, Leather holster, Visoflex & M adapter. I have not seen lenses, bodies,wrist straps, neck straps, T-Snap cases or aluminum holster available anywhere from any seller here. It does seem the UK has received more than anyone else but still not everything.

If the theory proposed above that Leica was waiting to see how orders went is correct, then one would have expected a burst of production if the 20K orders some have stated is true. I only heard of 200 orders in the US from the Leica distributor in NJ. If the number specified by the distributor for the US is accurate, then I could see Leica waiting for more orders before committing to a large manufacturing run.

While I haven't had the 23mm f2 lens to try, I do think Leica may have over priced these two lenses relative to their performance. The only review of the lenses with measure I have seen is the Photoreview.com review. Neither lens out performed far lower priced APS-C lenses like the Fujinon 16-50mm zoom, or Fujinon 23mm f1.4 for example. In the case of the Leica T zoom, it is very sharp but has uncorrectable CA in the DNG files and the distortion appears to me to be quite high prior to correction. I have tried correcting CA in both LR and ID and neither seems to be able to completely remove it. Not what one expects in a $1800 lens. The lens in the XV is clearly a superior lens with regard to CA.

Saturday at the Leica Boutique (previously Kurland) they said they were expecting their next shipment in July and that they had a long waiting list. They also said that as with the M240 about half the people on their list will have found the kit elsewhere. At least they had a camera, both lenses Visoflex and M adapter to try.

Cameranu ...in the Netherlands both have the adapter in stock, and have done for some weeks.

Thanks - after having read your post I immediatly checked their webshop and ordered, and 5min ago I have received shipping notice and UPS trackcode.

regards, Holger

I really had hoped to have my camera and lens by now... I ordered I think 2 days after they announced. I'm taking a trip in the middle of July and now I'm not even sure I'll have the camera by then! :confused:

I seriously hope they step up production/deliveries. If the idea behind the T was to bring in a new crowd to the Leica family they really will have to. People, myself included, will tire of waiting if it turns out to be months before the preorders even get filled... :rolleyes:

I'm not giving up hope yet. I really would love to love this camera! But I need one in my hands in order for that to happen! :p

I have camera, 23mm, adapter and EVF since end of May plus extra battery. The Vario-Elmar is supposed to be coming soon to my dealer. (NY suburb). I no longer even bother with B&H for new camera models. I think to some extent availability will be affected by your relationship with your dealer. If you are a price only buyer and go the mail order route you may wait longer than if you have a working relationship with human beings.

Does he offer US Sales? Who is it?

Leica Cameras | London | Leica Digital Cameras | M, R & S System Cameras | Leica M9 Camera | Richard Caplan

I believe they do but you should check

Also just noted that red dot have them in stock:

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk

seems to be generally available. haven't checked other dealers

Edited by colonel