Sign in to follow this  

Horizontal mostly magenta bands with LV function

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used an M(240) with success for 10 months in conventional rangefinder mode with several lenses and only today tried for the first time to use an R lens with the LV mode. Lens was the 180/3.4 APO which seemed to perform satisfactorily for a few minutes until the LCD showed horizontal lines of mostly magenta color and increasing in number from 1 or 2 up to many over a period of a few minutes. Lens used with an R/M adapter. Minolta EVF attached or not made no difference. Turning camera off/on made no difference.

Few hours after that I tried using LV to check rangefinder focus accuracy of much loved 50/2.8 Elmar M. Same horizontal stripes without EVF attached. Stripes appear in both DNG and JPG files. Stripes never appear without LV turned on. But RF focus on inner edge of frame of picture spot on so the LV is indeed handy for that test.

Is this a known problem? With an easy solution?

Will try to attach photos. Had to reduce size but problem should show.

293 No banding at turn on of camera with 180mm.

303 Few stripes after few minutes

304 Example of many stripes soon after that

309 Check of rangefinder focus on inner edge of frame with 50mm

In case I have to send it in to Leica and might not be back in US until after 1 year from purchase is up, would they accept notice of problem now but permit delayed return shipment of camera??

Thanks, Harry

Not a known problem, really. To begin with I would try another SD card. If the problem persists we may be looking at a dying sensor, I fear.

Thanks for replying. I tried another SD card with same result. Not only that, but it seems to have gotten worse. Now the problem exists even in "rangefinder" mode, without engaging LV.

I had the same problem while looking at photos in the camera (when using the zoom). but they were not in the photos (only on the display of the camera). turning the camera off and on solved the problem for me.

(I noticed the problem both in my camera, and also in the camera leica gave me to try before buying it, so my case looks more likely like a firmware issue)

Thanks for replying. I tried another SD card with same result. Not only that, but it seems to have gotten worse. Now the problem exists even in "rangefinder" mode, without engaging LV.

I would send it to Wetzlar ASAP.

Thanks Jaap. I will contact them Monday. Removing battery and also reloading firmware did not help.