Sign in to follow this  
GlobeRiders

It broke, what happened?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I first noticed that something was terrible wrong when 2/3 of my pictures turned up black. Fortunately I check the images frequently while shooting. To my shock I discovered what you see on this picture. What had happened?

I have sent the camera and the two lenses that I were using to Leica awaiting the verdict.

Anyone experienced similar?

Helge Pedersen

Yes it has happenedva few times before. Send it in, Leica will see you right.

How many pictures (roughly) have you taken since you got the camera? Some part failed prematurely in the shutter. Nothing you did, I'm sure.

Best,

Steve

The camera is almost new and have less than 5,000 exposures and less than 1 hour of video. On this 4 months journey I carried two M lenses, Summilux 35mm and 50mm. My mane cameras were Canon DSLR.

I have had the following Leica's:

M5, never had problems

M6, broke the light meeter circuit after one year of use, still have that camera, love the size.

M8, died and it took 3 months got get it repaired.

Summilux 50mm element came loose, this was the previous version.

M9, sensor developed "stains" and needed replacement

M (240) broken shutter

Just completed a online survey regarding Leica Protection Plan, Leica need what Canon is doing with CPS, super fast turn around and overall great service.

I sent the 2 lenses in with the camera as I had noticed that the 50mm would not focus on infinity and there was a lot of metal shavings floating around.

Yes, I am sure that they will do a fine repair, just hope it happen sooner rather than later.

By the way I do Love my M and I have high hopes for the ISO upgrade coming any day now.

Thanks

Helge .

I am at a loss to understand how a rivet could rip out of a shutter curtain blade like that, particularly under conditions of normal use ...

Edited by Carlos Danger

It's the first time I've read about that happening, which makes me feel sorry for the owner, but in the wider scheme of things it is inconsequential and nothing to worry about. Why do people start wringing their hands and pronouncing doom and gloom at every little thing on LUF? If they did it in everyday life they simply wouldn't function as individuals with a perspective on the world, just worrying about all the bad news in the morning newspaper would take all day.

Steve

I am at a loss to understand how a rivet could rip out of a shutter curtain blade like that, particularly under conditions of normal use ...

an enormous amount of force is exerted on the rivet and the blade on every shutter actuation. it's probably the most mechanically critical part of the camera manufactured with the smallest of tolerances in mind. sometimes, they are not met - ergo: this happens.

this is also why, in general, Leica can't maintain a high level of stability and keep coming up with these faults in sensors and mechanics. manufacturing today is an iterative statistical process in which error frequency and process stability are hugely important. this calls for a huge number of iterations (large set to sample from and many samplings). 'handmade' means absolutely nothing as no part in the camera can be handmade and still comply to adequate tolerances. Leica doesn't produce enough copies to dial this process in when compared to larger manufacturers.

what they can do, instead, is have a very rigorous QC and a generous service/warranty plan.

which is why I'm astounded every time I hear these stories about several months turnaround time for factory defects (or even user caused ones); I don't really expect anything in a Digital Leica to be better (meaning durable) than in any other camera, but I do expect the service to be top notch and you guys should too instead of making excuses for lazy handling of your cases.

Edited by rodluvan
spelling

Err... The shutter is an assembled component bought by Leica from Copal, who supply the shutters for the majority of camera makers... They are as handmade as the shutters in a Nikon DSLR, for example.

[.....]still comply to adequate tolerances. Leica doesn't produce enough copies to dial this process in when compared to larger manufacturers..

Err... The shutter is an assembled component bought by Leica from Copal, who supply the shutters for the majority of camera makers... They are as handmade as the shutters in a Nikon DSLR, for example.

This does not negate my point (especially since my point wasn't limited to the shutter), obviously they hardly manufacture any parts themselves, but I assume they are made to specifications in smaller numbers and not an off the shelf item? And even if it is an off the shelf item (a thought that might convulse a Leica connoisseur), the fitting etc is unique to Leica.

Oh, they manufacture plenty of stuff, for instance the shutter of the S2, but I find it a bit overdone to generalise from one reported broken shutter in an entire production run with that part built by a reputed maker to sweeping statements of the "Leica should" type.

Oh, they manufacture plenty of stuff, for instance the shutter of the S2, but I find it a bit overdone to generalise from one reported broken shutter in an entire production run with that part built by a reputed maker to sweeping statements of the "Leica should" type.

My point was a general one and one that is rationally sound. Also, you clamied that you alone, knew of a few more instances which is astounding considering the nature of the break.

I don't have any statistical data, but going on anecdotal alone, I've never head one single case like this in a, say, Nikon (they suffer mainly from systematic errors, fully in line with what can be expected from a stream lined production). Crashed shutters after +50K actuations sure, but that is not what we're dealing with here.

There have been two or three cases on the M8/9, which is not astounding as the shutter is unprotected to pieces of grit etc. by a mirror. It does not take much to destroy such a delicate mechanism.

Edited by jaapv

I would think live view usage, as well as use of the advanced metering modes even with the optical finder would be additional factors affecting shutter life of the M240. Hopefully it has been designed to withstand more actuations than the M9's.

This brings up a parallel question, what is the value of shutter count in a LV world? On the M8/9, one shutter actualization is one shutter actualization, in the LV world it could be one or three or more and can be open from seconds to minutes. If my M240 goes to sleep in LV, the shutter can be open for days.

Edited by swamiji
punctuatiom

This brings up a parallel question, what is the value of shutter count in a LV world? On the M8/9, one shutter actualization is one shutter actualization, in the LV world it could be one or three or more and can be open from seconds to minutes. If my M240 goes to sleep in LV, the shutter can be open for days.

A shutter actuation is a shutter actuation is a shutter actuation.