APO 50 images

• 6 months later...

F2 or F2.8 with the M240.

Full resolution:

http://www.lichtbildhaus.de/tmp/50apo/L1005003-2.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rapids41
  • Like 8

The Boco Rock Wind Farm and black cattle.

I have had the pleasure of owning an APO 50 for 20 months and a true joy it is to use. In all that time I have never paired it with anything other than the MM.

Looking through this thread I find I it quite disorientating to come across colour images taken with this lens.....my mind strongly insists that it will only produce black and white images.

Edited by platypus
correct typo.
  • Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Festival des Violettes, Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Côte d'Azur

M240, APO-Summicron 50mm

for a higher resolution version

• Like 3

Looking at all the pictures, I don't find a reason, why to buy the APO 50 lens. All of these pictures could have been taken with the standard Summicron 50 and nobody would see a real difference. Without any doubt, the lens has better optical properties, but I don't think that for general use it is worth to pay the extra charge. But I know it is Leica and we sometimes spend more money than necessary to have something special. I spent my money for an APO 75 which in my opinion has a nicer out of focus rendering than the 50. But this are personal preferences. I wish you a lot of pleasure with your lenses.

Best regards

Michael

• Like 4

M240, APO-Summicron 50mm

Larger versions at

&

• Like 3

Looking at all the pictures, I don't find a reason, why to buy the APO 50 lens. All of these pictures could have been taken with the standard Summicron 50 and nobody would see a real difference. Without any doubt, the lens has better optical properties, but I don't think that for general use it is worth to pay the extra charge. But I know it is Leica and we sometimes spend more money than necessary to have something special. I spent my money for an APO 75 which in my opinion has a nicer out of focus rendering than the 50. But this are personal preferences. I wish you a lot of pleasure with your lenses.

Best regards

Michael

Michael, i say this in simple non technical speak, and as someone who has the APO75, APO50 and 50lux, to me, the images from the 50APO just appear to be 'cleaner and crisper'. All three lenses are fabulous in different ways.

There certainly are some images on this forum (not mine :D) that i saw, along with those on Ming Thiens site, that pulled me over the edge into getting this particular lens. And, i know size is not everything, but it is such a dinky little lens in comparison to the other two.

• Like 1

Best regards

Michael

I am a fairly non-technical woman and as such I go with my 'feelings' a lot.....anyway I agree completely with the "cleaner and crisper" and "dinky size" comments from jedi996sps,

but (for me anyway) there's more to the APO 50 than that, all I can say is that this lens has a mesmeric quality.....there is just an indefinable something about it that my other Leica lenses, great as they are, just do not have.

....in b&w of course!

• Like 2

M(type240)

Silver Goblets and Dried Flowers

• Like 2

Catkins in speckled morning sunlight f2

• Like 7

The 50Apo has a surprising amount of vignetting at f2. I find vignetting pleasing, but it seems to have been a design compromise.

Vignetting is the best compromise to make in the digital age, because it's so easy to fix in software with very few negative consequences. And can even be fixed in camera in the jpeg system.

It makes sense for a design to compromise in vignetting, as sharpness, contrast, colour, bokeh etc take priority in designs made for digital bodies. Digital bodies offer more resolution than film, and you get better results if you start with good colours in the raw file.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1

Looking at all the pictures, I don't find a reason, why to buy the APO 50 lens. All of these pictures could have been taken with the standard Summicron 50 and nobody would see a real difference. Without any doubt, the lens has better optical properties, but I don't think that for general use it is worth to pay the extra charge.

Try to do this with a standard Summicron 50:

• Like 5

I can confirm this lens is special, very, very good (and i have the summicron v to compare and lots of oustanding other lenses)

Now i must admit i have a " miss " rate above normal and don't know yet the reason, my eyes, my monochrom or my lens itself.

The distance setting would be better if more demultiplicated, i think.